Video of Caribou with Locked Antlers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The last roadtrip of the fall was up to Denali Highway to explore ATV trails and old mining roads after hunting season ended. We were suprised to find a pair of bull caribou that had locked antlers, one already dead. Captured some amazing video and managed to free the live one by chopping a section of antler off the dead one with the sharp edged shovel I carry. Made for a memorable trip. Longer version is 3mins with some photos and music, short version is more the raw footage, about a min.

Long Version:

Short Version:

Pretty cool to be able to see that and just lucky was able to help after he fell in the creek.

Pretty cool to be able to see that and just lucky was able to help after he fell in the creek.
Nice move. About 34 years ago, my field partner and I were on a hydrology mission up the haul road. Going through Atigun Pass, my partner recalled how the year before, he’d spotted a couple of caribou bulls going at it way down in a valley and he thought they might have been stuck. I got my spotting scope out and sure enough, we could see detritus that looked like the remains. We hiked down into the valley and found the antlers and skulls secured forever. The rest was pretty much eaten up and spread all over. We hiked those antlers and skulls out and still have them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom