Video ads with audio? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awl_TEQ

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I can live with the banner ads. I actually like some of them and use them. But yesterday and again today I had one of the video ads on the right side suddenly start playing audio through my desktop speakers. It didn't happen right away. I was actually using my work MRP software and had Mud buried under several other windows and all of a sudden I'm listening to a commercial. That is crossing a line IMO.

What is the difference if any between the silver and gold advertising blocking? They both state "most advertising blocks removed" so I assume there is no difference as far as blocking ads?

Is there any subscription level that blocks more ads?

Kevin

And where the heck did my silver star go? AFAIK I have years left on my subscription? Can't seem to find that link for checking your status and expiry. Did that change with the forum changes?

EDIT: just checked paypal and I don't see a payment to MUD in there going back to 2012 so I assume I've used up that Blue Ribbon Coalition credit too. I'm gonna throw in for a Gold star and see what happens to the ads.

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, that's better.

Kinda funny it took me seven months to notice my star was gone. And I thought the increase in advertising was due to the ongoing software changes so I conditioned myself to ignore them. Until they started talking to me with the boss in the room!!

The Star notifications were "all messed up" from the software change last year...glad you discovered the fix :)

Yeah, the auto-audio ads are NEVER supposed to happen...but still slip through occasionally...I try and catch them all, but at times they sneak in faster than I can nab 'em.

^^ its driving me nuts!! I have the anti-E Cig video going off to the level that i can't even scroll down the page until its done..and as soon as its over , it restarts and sends me back to the top of the page to rewatch it!

Is the only option to pay for a star?

Again, there "should" be no autoplay videos...I'll see if I can chase down the offending advertiser over the next few days.

I believe I found it...will take the weekend to be sure, but one of my T1 networks had added "video: autoplay" to their blocking options...so I blocked it :) I'll continue to monitor as well, but the issue should be cleared by Monday.

Woody, FYI, I just got audio out of this banner add shown below. On my work computer running Windows7 Prof and Internet Explorer. Audio started maybe 10 seconds after page upload.

upload_2015-4-13_11-39-48.png

on a 728 ad?

uugh...I'll try and catch that one and find out who the culprit is...guess I need to turn my volume back up :)

Yeah, sorry to make more work for ya. The center section of the banner was a video before swiping to what you see there. It was the only ad on the page and the only open window at the time.

It really doesn't bother me now that I know you're on the case. ;)

Woody, I saw the same add again this morning on my Macbook Pro running Safari and there was no audio. But, I noticed the three buttons on the right end of the banner for the first time and hovered over the video button with the mouse. This activated the video (and audio) without actually clicking.

Sneaky buggers.

I suppose it's possible that I swiped across that spot on my work computer and caused the audio in the past. Although, I am certain that Mud was in the background the very first time it happened.

Anyway, just providing feedback for you.

:cheers:

I still haven't caught one...it's likely there are different ad targets for US vs CA and I might never see it...

I've even done "reviews" of recently served ads, trying to see one that might be it...no avail...

@woody what is the difference in levels? I've been Silver for a while and it used to be that Gold was for special supporters of the forum as decided by I guess by you as supreme leader. I am due to reup, and I see that I can go gold and there are 2 levels. What if any advantages are there to gold over silver and what about between gold 2 and gold 3?

Yes, I tried to search, but I couldn't find an answer.

Thanks.

@MoGas - Honestly, the color of the star....and you can "opt out" of the 728x90 header banner on desktop. That is the only difference between Gold and Silver. The only difference between Gold levels is the price.

Gold is simply an option for users who wish to support at a higher level. At the end of the day, there are minimal advantages to any supporting level, the site has always been designed for free user experience, registered or not. The "major" advantage to any supporting membership is less ads.

Thank you for your past and present support of the site :)

@woody Cool. I like this site, and as you know, I have been around a while. Gold it is.

Cheers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom