Valve cover bolts sheared. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While taking the valve cover off I sheared a few bolts that hold the valve cover. For some reason the ones closer to the exhaust manifold went. Now I have 3 one inch studs sticking out of the head. How should I take them out? Any tips?
I am thinking of doing the two nut trick plus lots of heat.
received_2789066501211214.jpeg

Start letting penetrating oil soak in there. After a day or so of spraying a few times, try rotating them with the double bolt method (Google it if you're not familiar, it's a long explanation to type on a phone). If that doesn't work, you might try turning the shaft with vise grips. Applying heat would help, but keep in mind all the valve components are sitting right there covered in oil. If you are going to try heat, use a small soldering torch.
If those methods dont work, it's going to be drilling and tapping.
If there was more meat on the bolt and the valve cover wasn't off, I'd say you could weld a nut onto the shaft and try to spin that out. The heat would probably help. Curious if those have red loctite of if the last guy cross treaded them due to the odd angle and hoses in the way.

Start letting penetrating oil soak in there. After a day or so of spraying a few times, try rotating them with the double bolt method (Google it if you're not familiar, it's a long explanation to type on a phone). If that doesn't work, you might try turning the shaft with vise grips. Applying heat would help, but keep in mind all the valve components are sitting right there covered in oil. If you are going to try heat, use a small soldering torch.
If those methods dont work, it's going to be drilling and tapping.
If there was more meat on the bolt and the valve cover wasn't off, I'd say you could weld a nut onto the shaft and try to spin that out. The heat would probably help. Curious if those have red loctite of if the last guy cross treaded them due to the odd angle and hoses in the way.
I don't think its cross threaded and deff no red loctite. All the upper bolts came off and had no loctite. I don't think they are cross threaded because they can be easily screwed in by hand and later tightened. I suppose that the heat cycles got the best of them, only the ones by the exhaust manifold snapped.

Vise grips should work. Maybe a stud extractor as there seems to be plenty of meat on those studs.
Give those studs a couple of hammer whacks as well, sometimes doing that can "shock" them into moving again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom