Using Techstream to register new master key with valet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm doing a lot of research, and I want to get the opinion of others... I currently only have a valet key and am getting annoyed/paranoid about not having a master or another key. I have been looking around, and I have heard a lot about Techstream. I believe with Techstream I can wipe all the existing keys off the ECU and program new wireless keys. My biggest worry is this. Because I only have the valet key to help with programming, I do not know if it'll even be possible considering that the key needs specific button configurations on a current remote to work. Has anybody attempted this, or am I going to be the guinea pig?

First, new keys should be able to be cut and programed by your local dealer.

As an additional resource may be @ToyotaMatt may be able to help you out providing keys at lower cost. Below is a thread from the 80 Series you should read.

If you just have a valet you will need to reset your ecu. This can be done with Techstream. It will require a passcode that is calculated using your VIN and a 96 character seed code from your truck. It is fairly easy. If you need help with a passcode let me know.

Sorry, I didn't answer your question in the OP. Yes, I have done this a few times. First time was on my wife's GX because I only had a valet.

Yes Techstream has the capability to do it. Just get new remote keys, the ones on ebay are GTG. If you need your key code, just pop out the drivers side lock and on the cylinder is stamped the key code. Then hook up Techstream and follow the steps.

I don't know your vehicle type/year. I was working with a 2004 GX470

This device will reprogram an entire set of keys, including master and valets. It does not require any of the nonsense the dealer will try to sell you.

Amazon product ASIN B00UUOTNZ4
I had a one master and one valet. Wanted to add another fob. So I got an uncut key/fob from ebay and had it cut at an auto locksmith. They tried to program the key and failed (their scanner couldn't do it). The device linked above reprogrammed all of the keys.

I did my best to note the procedure I followed, because many of the instructions on line suck:

For my 2004 Lexus GX470 I just successfully programmed 3 keys in a row.

I had 3 keys:

1. An existing master Key Fob (metal key with remote buttons)
2. An existing valet Key (metal key with no remote buttons)
3. A new aftermarket Key Fob (Ebay), recently cut to match Key #1 at locksmith

You must be prepared to program all 3 keys. As far as I can tell from my own experience, and from the terrible instructions, this device will clear all existing key registrations before beginning the new key programming sequence. This can be a good thing if your vehicle already had the maximum number of keys registered. As far as I can tell, the device does not give any indication that all existing keys will be unregistered.

Originally, I attempted to only add Keys #2 and #3. Which was successful. Only to find out the next morning that my main key (#1) was not registered any more. So I have updated my instructions to assume that all desired keys must be registered/program when you use the device.

1. No key in ignition
2. Insert Device (one beep)
3. Insert key to be programmed - turn to ON position
4. After a few seconds Device will beep 2,3,4 times (depending on generation of vehicle...mine was 3).
5. Security light will be on solid on dash, and you'll hear a few systems making noise (buzzing, moving) if you are in a quiet place.
6. After 20-30 seconds you will get 1 LONG BEEP.
7. Remove Key
8. Insert Next key and turn to ON position
9. Wait 10-20 seconds
10. Remove Key
11. REPEAT steps 8-10 for additional keys (I think 5 is the total allowed)

On the FINAL key (after waiting the 10-20 seconds) but BEFORE removing:

12. Rotate key rather quickly between ON and ACC (about 5 times) until the Security light on the dash turns OFF.
13. Rotate the key to START to test the key. Engine should start.
14. Repeat the test with the other keys to ensure that they work properly.

These steps will register 1-5 keys with your vehicle's security system using the FICBOX device.

For instructions on how to program the remote buttons for a new key fob (lock/unlock/panic). See the following:

If you just have a valet you will need to reset your ecu. This can be done with Techstream. It will require a passcode that is calculated using your VIN and a 96 character seed code from your truck. It is fairly easy. If you need help with a passcode let me know.
Please help me with the passcode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom