Undercarriage sealant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys/gals thanks for all you help!
I've got a new issue, the undercarriage on my 01' lx470 I just bought is not great. Wondering if anyone has experience using -

Cosmoline RP-342"Heavy" Rust Preventative Spray (Military-Grade)​

Found a guy via facebook marketplace using the stuff- He said "I charge $600 and it takes about 6-8hrs. I scrape all flaking rust and brush welds with the steel brush and other bad spots. I spray a rust reformer on which is an acid base that kills the rust then I coat with the wax based sealant RP-342. I usually use about 8 cans per truck and lay it thick."

Are there any draw backs to using this product? Is there a better option?

Winter is coming and can't let this rust spread anymore. Only wish I had garage space and lift to do it myself.....thanks for you time and knowledge

242409103_241276951280204_7495842924819500517_n.jpg

242700758_599926227706056_4751718463492803630_n.jpg

242808939_1845517465656769_3749650881400185645_n.jpg

243049218_417124933092381_1694244495176080731_n.jpg

Lots of threads on the topic. Not sure if you've used the search here yet, but it's pretty handy :)

Hey guys/gals thanks for all you help!
I've got a new issue, the undercarriage on my 01' lx470 I just bought is not great. Wondering if anyone has experience using -

Cosmoline RP-342"Heavy" Rust Preventative Spray (Military-Grade)​

Found a guy via facebook marketplace using the stuff- He said "I charge $600 and it takes about 6-8hrs. I scrape all flaking rust and brush welds with the steel brush and other bad spots. I spray a rust reformer on which is an acid base that kills the rust then I coat with the wax based sealant RP-342. I usually use about 8 cans per truck and lay it thick."

Are there any draw backs to using this product? Is there a better option?

Winter is coming and can't let this rust spread anymore. Only wish I had garage space and lift to do it myself.....thanks for you time and knowledge

View attachment 2808289

View attachment 2808291

View attachment 2808292

View attachment 2808294

Lots of threads on the topic. Not sure if you've used the search here yet, but it's pretty handy :)

Great thank you

Lots of them allow moisture to get trapped underneath and leat to even worse corrosions. There are lots of nooks and crannies where you can't reach to remove the hidden rust, unless a lot of stuff is removed and then reinstalled. The rust never stops.

Wax sealant should be fine, as it does not create a hard film.

Search corroseal on mud. I wouldn't use anything else. I wish I would have found this when I was in my 30's. It's white and very runny, it dries clear and extremely hard. So it you don't want to paint over it for down the road tire kickers you can just point at and look/compare.

Last edited:
Lots of them allow moisture to get trapped underneath and leat to even worse corrosions. There are lots of nooks and crannies where you can't reach to remove the hidden rust, unless a lot of stuff is removed and then reinstalled. The rust never stops.

Wax sealant should be fine, as it does not create a hard film.
Thanks for the suggestion, found a place near by doing woolwax treatments will be going that direction

I recently had my undercarriage coated with a Woolwax / Lanolin based product. One heads up for you...If you plan to do any other work under the truck in the next few months, I'd advise you to get all that work done BEFORE you have it coated. The product lays down pretty thick, and doesn't dry up. So, you will be an oily mess whilst working under there. The good part is that even if you smudge up the coating, it still leaves an oily film on the areas that were coated.

I recently had my undercarriage coated with a Woolwax / Lanolin based product. One heads up for you...If you plan to do any other work under the truck in the next few months, I'd advise you to get all that work done BEFORE you have it coated. The product lays down pretty thick, and doesn't dry up. So, you will be an oily mess whilst working under there. The good part is that even if you smudge up the coating, it still leaves an oily film on the areas that were coated.
good to know thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom