TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

She Stops!

After a bad first voyage on a real street last weekend, noticed she was pulling had to the right. I came to the conclusion the caliper was seized. As a result I did the following:

1) changed calipers and pads after confirming they were seized, decided that the old rotors are in good shape.

2) broke metal brake line to caliper while trying to undo the flare nut

3) contacted Beno, found those lines are discontinued, he suggested to make them

4) went to autozone, bought a straight brake line of the right length with flare nuts on both ends,

4.5) went harbor freight to get a bender

5) struggled to make my newly bent line work... after many bends, finally got it where needs to be.... Original line was not a good template cause I deformed it trying to disconnect it

6) bled brakes and new fluid

7) Visually and hand tested that brakes stop vehicle... Road test later today.

8) discovered my emergency brake doesn't work, truck now rolls into garage door when in neutral! Arggg

The dynamic and never ending todo list during the discovery phase of getting her ready for an inspection is always fun and sometimes frustrating... We are getting there though

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416663355.181388.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416663263.715522.jpg

Next up:
Parking brake
Change bulbs
Change lenses
Get plates maybe???
Maybe drive her to meetup???

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416662924.331891.jpg

Last edited:
She Stops!

The dynamic and never ending todo list during the discovery phase of getting her ready for an inspection is always fun and sometimes frustrating... We are getting there though

Next up:
Parking brake
Change bulbs
Change lenses
Get plates maybe???

What inspection?

She Stops!

After a bad first voyage on a real street last weekend, noticed she was pulling had to the right. I came to the conclusion the caliper was seized. As a result I did the following:

1) changed calipers and pads after confirming they were seized, decided that the old rotors are in good shape.

2) broke metal brake line to caliper while trying to undo the flare nut

3) contacted Beno, found those lines are discontinued, he suggested to make them

4) went to autozone, bought a straight brake line of the right length with flare nuts on both ends,

4.5) went harbor freight to get a bender

5) struggled to make my newly bent line work... after many bends, finally got it where needs to be.... Original line was not a good template cause I deformed it trying to disconnect it

6) bled brakes and new fluid

7) Visually and hand tested that brakes stop vehicle... Road test later today.

8) discovered my emergency brake doesn't work, truck now rolls into garage door when in neutral! Arggg

View attachment 968285

View attachment 968284

Next up:
Parking brake
Change bulbs
Change lenses
Get plates maybe???

You dont need inspection. Just have to register it. Great yo see the progress.

I think I see a knuckle under there :)

Ya I had quite pile of crumbly grease and mud that I had to brush/chisel off in order to find the caliper.

I guess a knuckle rebuild will get added to the endless todo list, probably further down.

Regarding inspection, I thought I read that an inspector has to come to the house to ensure all the number/vin plates etc match and that it's safe, and to ensure its not stolen? It was an out of state purchase.

I'd be psyched if I can avoid all that...

Ya I had quite pile of crumbly grease and mud that I had to brush/chisel off in order to find the caliper.

I guess a knuckle rebuild will get added to the endless todo list, probably further down.

Regarding inspection, I thought I read that an inspector has to come to the house to ensure all the number/vin plates etc match and that it's safe, and to ensure its not stolen? It was an out of state purchase.

I'd be psyched if I can avoid all that...

Do u have a out of state title. That is when they come a check. But they dont che k running condition. Correct me somebody if i am wrong...

Ya it's a FL title

You might recall I replaced the clutch line junk this summer. Al bent up the new line for me. I might still have the old one in correct shape if you want to use it as a template to try again. The flare nut is beat, that's the only reason we replaced the line.

...via IH8MUD app

Agree with you Rafael. The inspector will come to check VINs only. Truck does not have to run. No safety inspection will be done.

Good day in the driveway.

Polished and reinstalled valve covers on the 45 with new gaskets.

Oil change in both trucks

While oil was drained , i removed the oil level sensor and resealed on 80. Also converted my 54mm hub socket to perform SST duty for the rear axle as well and repacked rear wheel bearings. No more two screwdrivers and a pry bar!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Beats the heck out of spending the $$$$ for the oem SST!

I like the DIY line of SST tools. I have a double ended SST that holds the yoke while you pull the lock nut. They can be stubborn.

Replaced a broken DS door handle and a wrecked DS window regulator. While in there, I applied some foil-backed rubber insulation:

IMAG2603.jpg

IMAG2604.jpg

IMAG2605.jpg

IMAG2606.jpg

IMAG2607.jpg

Replaced a broken DS door handle and a wrecked DS window regulator. While in there, I applied some foil-backed rubber insulation:

IMAG2607.jpg

That looks great.

That looks great.

Well, the pics could be better, but it sure is quieter in the cab. Insulating the other doors are up on the short list now.

STILL have not done any wrenching. I did finally get sick enough of seeing the "contractor special" in our bathroom to do something about it. It did involve using a screw driver if that counts.

20141121_202757.jpg
2014-12-19 19.44.49.jpg

Picked up some used factory welded wheels for my 40... Pretty good condition, will wash, sand and paint in the coming weeks. Then will mount eventually.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419094901.482937.jpg

Part of me is thinking of just washing and not painting.... 4 of the 5 might have original paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom