TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brent and I both had a few chores to work on. He fixed a couple oil leaks, gas leak, transmission leak, and had a bent driveshaft. I just repacked some bearings and cleaned the hubs up.
20140928_102954[1].jpg

20140928_114557[1].jpg

20140928_153152[2].jpg

20140928_164049[1].jpg

20140928_165604[1].jpg

Last edited:
Looks like all pieces will be here on Friday. Anyone around Saturday? What should we tackle first?

We have the following to complete:
Install new OME torsion bars (most important as new winch and arb bar will being pulling the front down)
Install 860 rear springs
Install front and rear OME shocks
Install Engo 10s winch in ARB bar (I will probably do this Friday afternoon)

I will PB blast all bolts.

860s installed. Driver side 1.5 hrs. Passenger side 20 minutes.

good deal, and its always good doing these things yourself or with a buddy

Absolutely. Love learning new truck stuff.

Winch in. Wiring tomorrow.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412390837.809139.jpg

Along with ome front shocks and new ome torsion bars.

Complete and utter wrenching fail last night. Went to replace my leaking rear pinion seal only to make the leak 10x worse. As soon as I saw it was still leaking (after replacement), I realized I ordered the wrong seal. Got the seal for the 1410 yoke that came in the axle originally and not the 1350 yoke that's in there now. :doh: :bang: :doh:

IMAG1979.jpg

Juicy old seal:

IMAG1981.jpg

Clean and new (incorrect) seal:

IMAG1982.jpg

IMAG1984.jpg

And this is a picture of the seal puking its guts out all over the back half of my truck :bang:

IMAG1989.jpg

No wrenching here. But I did come across some old pics I had completely forgotten about including a couple from the frame-off so long ago.
FJ40-4.jpg

That is purdy :)

That is purdy :)

Thanks, Stan. That means something coming from someone in your line of work. There is an LS repower planned for the 80 as well that I'm sure will involve reading as many NCFJ threads as I can.

Rice

Rice the biggest advice I can give you from the start is plan plan plan, and when you think you have it figured out, plan some more. There is a ton of information out there, unfortunately a fair amount of it is conflicting if not down right misleading. As with almost anything else that has been done before, research is your first best friend. Venture away from MUD as well for general motor information, there are several good LSX sites out there.

Well plans changed and didn't make black balsam so took the opportunity to swap the leaky heater core in 45 and rework and paint the heater unit.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Fresh paint and silicone heater hose.
image.jpg
image.jpg

And made some firewall patches with the sheet metal sandwich and self tapper trick.
image.jpg

Does it still count even if you're not wrenching on a LC?

Wheel bearings, TREs and brakes on the Jetta this weekend.

IMAG2015.jpg

IMAG2016.jpg

I pulled a dual contour fan at the junk yard to replace my now dead fan in the 80

I replaced my bent panhard with a stock refinished adjustable bar and centered up the rear axle under the body. Thanks Rafael for the bar. Total, this project cost me $40 for the bar and $28 for the hardware.
10735421_1496775597239420_999226806_n.jpg

I also quickly figured out that I need to buy a real ratchet tie down so I'm not struggling to push the body of Landcruiser over to line up the bolt for the panhard all from underneath the truck on my back.

After 3 months of collecting dust in the garage, Sunday I finally got the old gas out of the gas tank and removed the tank. Now to put the wheels back on, so I can temporarily push her out and get some upgraded electric work done in the garage.

My serp belt broke when the tension pulley seized on the way back from Grandfather Mountain. I ordered the parts Monday afternoon from Onur (beno), and they were at my door by 11:00 on Wednesday. What a great guy to work with! While things are apart, I changed out the rad, filters, oil, hoses and the fan clutch.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom