TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No more "two pump chump"

Swapped out my clutch master. Refreshingly easy, hardest part was getting the bolt off the clutch pedal.

The little bit of old fluid that hadn't leaked out yet was nasty.

Eventually I'll tackle the slave, which is siting in my garage, had a small window of opportunity so had to triage and focus on top priority to get her driving.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415579659.429362.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415579688.895627.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Huge milestone last weekend... Forgot to post this.

Finally pulled out the rusty gas tank out of the forty, and swapped in a new tank.

Got her running. Adjusted/tuned carb so she idles good, and finally took a drive off my driveway.

As expected once I left the driveway is when I discovered other problems. Got stuck in gear as I pulled into garage, kinda scary. Discovered leaky clutch master, as noted by the flakes if oily paint on my firewall.

Also discovered a very strange rhythmic squeek from front wheel. Was really worried it was a birf, bearring, hub, rotor or something involved... Luckily I chased it down to a slew of loose lug nuts... No biggie.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415581411.966812.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415581446.666720.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Got some injection pump work done on Moonshine last week. Easily 50% more power now after the repair / tuning:

IMAG2057.jpg

IMAG2058.jpg

50%?? that think must have been f&&ked.... good job buddy and it sounds awesome in that video :)

50%?? that think must have been f&&ked.... good job buddy and it sounds awesome in that video :)

It wasn't a slouch before either! I smell burnouts in my future :D

It wasn't a slouch before either! I smell burnouts in my future :D

Turning a screw on the fuel injection pump was the difference between a John Deere 5200 and 5300. 20% more power and a bigger price tag.

I'm not sure if these qualify as "wrenching". Here are a couple small things:

1. Every couple of years I pull valve covers to replace leaky gaskets and clean up the covers.
Valve cover-1.jpg

Valve cover-2.jpg

Valve cover-3.jpg

2. I finally got rid of the rotted out exhaust system that I have disliked since the first day it went in (really bad install from the guy that put them in)
exhaust-1.jpg

exhaust-2.jpg

And, lastly, Brent and I tried our hand at recovering some cushions for the boat:

Boat seats-1.jpg
Boat seats-2.jpg
Boat seats-3.jpg
Boat seats-4.jpg

Did one wheel bearing on my mazda yesterday before I ran out of light.... 20 ton press I got last year came in handy.

I'm not sure if these qualify as "wrenching". Here are a couple small things:

1. Every couple of years I pull valve covers to replace leaky gaskets and clean up the covers.
2. I finally got rid of the rotted out exhaust system that I have disliked since the first day it went in (really bad install from the guy that put them in)

I need to see this 40 in person so I can properly drool on it.

I need to see this 40 in person so I can properly drool on it.

... photo evidence of a "drool capable" el presidente. :lol:

Johnny.jpg

(when the 40 makes it to an ONSC event the keys are yours, man)

... photo evidence of a "drool capable" el presidente. :lol:

(when the 40 makes it to an ONSC event the keys are yours, man)

I hadn't seen that picture before! Awesome :D

It has before and will soon again make it to a paved onsc event :)

1) Got her a new back tattoo (DS window). Hooray, I'm finally official. @NCNole -thanks for the artwork

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416100094.866492.jpg

2) fixed another gas leak by replacing section of old crumbly rubber fuel line under the console that my shoddy mechanic didn't catch when he did the fuel tank swap (mechanic = me). Hopefully my garage won't wreak of gas anymore

3) got her insured

4) took her on her 1st major road (scary) for her first fill up at a gas station

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416100155.783636.jpg

4) discovered she pulls to the right very hard, and has a hard time turning left... Likely my front PS caliper is seized

...via IH8MUD app

And if anyone is wondering what's going on with the red and green paint... I'm in the process of stripping off the rattle can red that was on the truck when I got it. There's olive 653 green underneath that's in decent shape.

It ended up being a lot bigger of a job than I hoped. Might have to disassemble the panels to get access to the nooks and crannies to strip the remaining red.

The quarters have some bondo and rust that will need to be addressed, so am currently debating my strategy.

Before:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416152822.398781.jpg

Current:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416152870.131617.jpg

"After" picture target is spring 2015...

...via IH8MUD app

Shame somebody painted over the olive. I've always liked that color a lot and you don't see it that often. How are you stripping the red without pulling off the olive with it?

A ridiculous amount of lacquer thinner and a bazillion small rags.... Turned out to be a real PITA but there's no turning back now... I'm with you, I really like the 653 olive color.

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom