TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you think the paint is original, don't repaint. The patina is wayyy cool.

My $0.02

Stopped by my favorite local wrenching haus/watering hole for some assistance with that magical entity of electricity. Between half an old abandoned harness and some leftover lights and robbing some switches and relays I got lights! Many many thanks to @Rice for the assistance

image.jpg

I did have a moment of confusion when the wine and cheese came out. Followed by seared scallops on endive spoons with a Fresh herbed cheese spread. I thought I had wandered into a rover garage. Thankfully a look around revealed rugged flannel, lots of beer, and toyotas everywhere to ease my concerns. Many thanks to wifeofRice for fueling the garage spirit and another great meal.

image.jpg

I did have a moment of confusion when the wine and cheese came out. Followed by seared scallops on endive spoons with a Fresh herbed cheese spread. I thought I had wandered into a rover garage. Thankfully a look around revealed rugged flannel, lots of beer, and toyotas everywhere to ease my concerns. Many thanks to wifeofRice for fueling the garage spirit and another great meal.

View attachment 1008242

A new standard has been set, pretty high bar to hurdle now...:beer:

Anyone out there interested in assisting (or actually installing) a set of DT headers on my 100. First set rusted out and Henry's muffler can not assist until after January 5th. I heard passenger side was 45 minutes and drivers side could take up to 4 hours. Please PM and we can discuss if anyone is interested in this endeavor prior to 1/5.

I know everyone is busy, just throwing it out there if someone has sometime for this marathon install.

Stopped by my favorite local wrenching haus/watering hole for some assistance with that magical entity of electricity. Between half an old abandoned harness and some leftover lights and robbing some switches and relays I got lights! Many many thanks to @Rice for the assistance

I've never been able to wrap my head around how I lucked out when it comes to WifeofRice but, by gosh, I did.

Always happy to share a beer and twist wires on the JFZ80 rig. Was delighted to have an excuse working on something that didn't involve paint rollers and bathroom fixtures.

Finally got around to rebuilding my front axle over my Winter break. Took me a few days to complete it but I was working from 7-5, and taking my time to make sure I was doing a thorough job.
1798555_2615046420740_560197007332092395_n.jpg
1377455_2623479751568_4708223715292918264_n.jpg
10447418_2623479871571_2351540347741398386_n.jpg
10801785_2620983409161_3715541829849874151_n.jpg
10801785_2623479191554_8015444448196211438_n.jpg

This hardly qualifies as wrenching but TWT needed a bump.

I had always been puzzled, but never enough to care, about the old school Bosch halogens I put on the 40 years ago. Pretty good output considering the era they came from (don't ask), but nothing to brag about by today's standard. The odd part is the pattern they projected which was never useful for anything other than putting a little light on the shoulder of the road in hopes you saw a deer before it was too late.

Anyway, the old Bosch dudes are gone (free to anyone wanting a nice dome light) and some round LED's in their place.

20141230_183643.jpg
20141230_183624.jpg
20141230_192315.jpg
2014-12-30 19.30.21.jpg

Nice! Which LEDs did you go with?

Codes P0301 and P0300 in Laura's 1.8T lead me to remove the coil packs, only to find the spark plug bores filled with oil. Replaced the valve cover gasket, and plugs, as a result last night. Runs much better now.

The blue is Hylomar. Highly recommended sealant. Replaces, and is much better than, RTV, in all scenarios based on what I've read.

IMAG2656.jpg

IMAG2657.jpg

IMAG2659.jpg

IMAG2660.jpg

Nice! Which LEDs did you go with?

Codes P0301 and P0300 in Laura's 1.8T lead me to remove the coil packs, only to find the spark plug bores filled with oil. Replaced the valve cover gasket, and plugs, as a result last night. Runs much better now.

The blue is Hylomar. Highly recommended sealant. Replaces, and is much better than, RTV, in all scenarios based on what I've read.

Uhg. Exactly the same job I have to do on the 4Runner. Believe I am going to find the same spark plug "coolant" you did. Will look up the sealer you used. I had thought I would use the black Toyota sealer since it was already in the drawer.

The LED's are by a company called "Made in China"

Here they are:

http://www.amazon.com/Tuff-LED-Ligh...qid=1420033610&sr=8-3&keywords=Tuff+round+LED

I obviously have nothing to report yet regarding longevity, however, was impressed that all the mounting hardware was fine thread stainless and they used heavy gauge wire even to pull only 2 Amps.

Uhg. Exactly the same job I have to do on the 4Runner. Believe I am going to find the same spark plug "coolant" you did. Will look up the sealer you used. I had thought I would use the black Toyota sealer since it was already in the drawer.

I'm sure Toyota FIPG would do the trick just fine. I bought a couple tubes of Hylomar after recommendations from wrenching buddies here at work so I had it on hand. It was originally designed for use in aerospace or something, but it appears to work very well. I've yet to have anything leak that I've used this stuff on, so that's a plus. Another plus is that the cap actually seals against the tin tube, so the tip doesn't dry out.

The only downside is that this stuff is expensive at $22 a tube.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PBCZCI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The LED's are by a company called "Made in China"

Here they are:

http://www.amazon.com/Tuff-LED-Lights-27watt-Polaris/dp/B009ERTIKI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1420033610&sr=8-3&keywords=Tuff round LED

I obviously have nothing to report yet regarding longevity, however, was impressed that all the mounting hardware was fine thread stainless and they used heavy gauge wire even to pull only 2 Amps.

Only pull 2 amps? That's nice, and they've got a nice low price. Care to take the truck out to a field and do some range tests with those lights?

I'm sure Toyota FIPG would do the trick just fine. I bought a couple tubes of Hylomar after recommendations from wrenching buddies here at work so I had it on hand. It was originally designed for use in aerospace or something, but it appears to work very well. I've yet to have anything leak that I've used this stuff on, so that's a plus. Another plus is that the cap actually seals against the tin tube, so the tip doesn't dry out.

The only downside is that this stuff is expensive at $22 a tube.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PBCZCI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only pull 2 amps? That's nice, and they've got a nice low price. Care to take the truck out to a field and do some range tests with those lights?

Take the 40 into a field? :hillbilly:

Happy to try and get a measure of output but these really are "work" lights, i.e. a lot of flood and not much range. For Range I use my 100 Watt high beams. (i.e. run 55W/100W H4 bulbs, relays, and a heavy duty wiring harness)

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Hardware/Bulbs/H4

Speaking of lights Johnny when are you going to mount up your monster light bar

Not really "wrenching" but more like "screw-drivering"...

Installed a much needed set of used visors, much safer now driving into sun.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420237857.144142.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420237873.968346.jpg

Speaking of lights Johnny when are you going to mount up your monster light bar

Need to allocate time and a bit of money to make the mount. I've got ideas, just need to execute :D

Installed a new radiator, new hoses, new water pump, thermostat, and a bunch of gaskets on the FJ40. Watched a YouTube video and learned how to tap and install a helicoil - since the threads in the lower thermostat housing were powder...

On the 80, I installed the aftermarket SLEE light harness and I put some generic Rigid-Style LED's on the ARB bullbar. I don't think they'll get much use; I don't use the light bar on the 100... But the bumper looks bare without the lights...

Did the Johnny C. valve cover gasket job yesterday to get rid of offending oil leak. Spark plug wells were dry but all the seals were rock hard and cracked. No need for sealer since Toyota engineered the much needed and overdue groove for the gasket.

20150102_162904.jpg
20150102_170304.jpg
20150102_175639.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom