TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I finally got done with the seats on Friday but don’t want to put them back together until I get new gears and caps so I can get my seat adjustment (front - back) working again.
Took the gears out and cleaned the whole assembly. The white lithium grease is more of a hindrance at this point. It was super sticky and dried solid. I order 4 gears and 2 caps from gamivity and just going to replace all four gears on both seats and use new white lithium grease. I will keep the two that are still goodish as spares.
43735680-C6ED-4DC8-819A-2A6B13924BCC.jpeg

driver side gear was toast. Hoped the new gears are here by Monday and I can finish this up . I was done on with the new leather on Thursday and yesterday my hands were so soar I could barely grab my cup of coffee.
63E183E0-8E0D-4FAA-82A0-0398CFFD7063.jpeg

A little more practice Del and you can work for Heather :) She had the same issues when she started, now she has incredible hand strength.

I finally got done with the seats on Friday but don’t want to put them back together until I get new gears and caps so I can get my seat adjustment (front - back) working again.
Took the gears out and cleaned the whole assembly. The white lithium grease is more of a hindrance at this point. It was super sticky and dried solid. I order 4 gears and 2 caps from gamivity and just going to replace all four gears on both seats and use new white lithium grease. I will keep the two that are still goodish as spares.
View attachment 2172920
driver side gear was toast. Hoped the new gears are here by Monday and I can finish this up . I was done on with the new leather on Thursday and yesterday my hands were so soar I could barely grab my cup of coffee.View attachment 2172921
Did you buy more plastic gears from Gamaviti? I replaced the gears in the passenger seat and soon followed by the driver's seat. Not long after that the gears in the passenger seat became stripped. I refused to pay $40 for more gears that will just end up failing again.

I read somewhere there are metal gears available.

Little 55 update:

I had been meaning to get front end rebuilt for past several months and really before Christmas party. Well tackled this past Thursday and wrapped up new calipers and pads this morning.
As you’ll see always good to check pads on some sort of routine. Hadn’t heard anything unusual and hubs weren’t terribly hot. Stuck piston, broken pad.

Next up is 3FE manifold swap and desmog which should wrap up driveline. Then on to body and headliner.

24FE4E58-80D3-4039-A259-AD36CA6F3A13.jpeg

7C82CAA9-4FD8-4842-8DE9-256714A18E83.jpeg

F902A92F-1FEF-441C-B54A-E16C6B777902.jpeg

ED05380C-51F2-4D7F-9F05-E73EC157485C.jpeg

AA9F7F2A-6EDA-49F4-AF20-6B4DAC32C58E.jpeg

Did you buy more plastic gears from Gamaviti? I replaced the gears in the passenger seat and soon followed by the driver's seat. Not long after that the gears in the passenger seat became stripped. I refused to pay $40 for more gears that will just end up failing again.

I bought 4 gears and 2 caps from gamaviti for $60. This is enough to do both gears on each seat and replace the caps also.
From what I read the best results is to first clean out the old nasty lithium grease that at this point is probably the cause of gears going bad because it has lost its properties, the stuff in my seats in all four motors was just nasty, crusty and super sticky like dried up glue.
The other thing I am going to do is just replace both gears on each seat even if it needs only one. Mine only really need one but I am replacing both anyway and keeping the better ones in the glove box as spares.

then I have to make sure the tracks are perfectly even so it doesn’t cause the seat to bind one side. Which is what happened to mine.

I just got the gears and I am finishing the seats tonight.

however, if all this doesn’t work. I am not messing with this stuff again. And I am with you. I am not buying the gears again.

Mine only really need one but I am replacing both anyway and keeping the better ones in the glove box as spares.
It might just be my sleep deprived memory, but you might want to rethink removing a gear that looks good and expecting to keep it as a spare. I'm not too sure it'll come off in one piece or be very usable even if it does. More than a few people have cracked a newly installed gear even after softening it in hot water and following the directions. I did it to the LAST of the ones I replaced on my first 80. Then you're screwed if the original one isn't reusable.

Reading this made me remember I bought one last year. Been sitting in my console for a year.

image.jpg

@NC LX Care to tell us where it came from? I already know it couldn't have been cheap...
I've seen them here:

There's an eBay link in the thread that is still active

Dipty got a much needed axle rebuild and chromoly shafts. Next is lockouts and a spool for the transfer case. And wait for the bumper kit to come in from 4x4labs.
C6D9B5C0-2108-4712-B927-BB828D05A604.jpeg

A0925F51-26CA-4DE5-ACB0-7130634AD444.jpeg

That was quick!!
Worked non stop on it Sunday morning and early afternoon. Missed driving this thing and wanted it back on the road ahaha

It might just be my sleep deprived memory, but you might want to rethink removing a gear that looks good and expecting to keep it as a spare. I'm not too sure it'll come off in one piece or be very usable even if it does. More than a few people have cracked a newly installed gear even after softening it in hot water and following the directions. I did it to the LAST of the ones I replaced on my first 80. Then you're screwed if the original one isn't reusable.

i get what your saying. But screwed how? I’m screwed now by not being able to adjust the seat. I’m attempting to fix that. If the new parts fail or my attempt to fix the problem does not fix it, then I will be in the current situation I’m in now.
If the better looking gears ( they are noticeably worn) break when they come out then I will toss them. If they survive, nothing wrong with keeping them around. In probably wouldn’t use them though.

from what I read about the gears made of harder material is that now you endanger damaging the motor if the gears slip due to the harder material. The original plastic ones lasted 20 years ( I honestly think they failed due to the white lithium grease gumming up) so I would think that new plastic gears should last a while. But if they don’t. Well then I will adjust my plan at that point.

i get what your saying. But screwed how? I’m screwed now by not being able to adjust the seat.
I see now that it was @lumbee1 who said "I refused to pay $40 for more gears...". I thought it was you. I should've known because I know you'll throw money at a problem when you need to!

I had just wanted to point out that you're not very likely to be able to reinstall an old gear if you somehow break one of your 4 new ones, so don't count on them being usable spares. Doesn't matter now anyway since I see it was Jonathan's quote above.

i get what your saying. But screwed how? I’m screwed now by not being able to adjust the seat. I’m attempting to fix that. If the new parts fail or my attempt to fix the problem does not fix it, then I will be in the current situation I’m in now.
If the better looking gears ( they are noticeably worn) break when they come out then I will toss them. If they survive, nothing wrong with keeping them around. In probably wouldn’t use them though.

from what I read about the gears made of harder material is that now you endanger damaging the motor if the gears slip due to the harder material. The original plastic ones lasted 20 years ( I honestly think they failed due to the white lithium grease gumming up) so I would think that new plastic gears should last a while. But if they don’t. Well then I will adjust my plan at that point.
Edit: JohnVee chimed in right as I was doing the same. No need for me to elaborate.

I installed new brushes and voltage regulator in the Tundra's alternator. It didn't fix the problem so I've ordered a Denso reman off Rockauto.com.

I installed new brushes and voltage regulator in the Tundra's alternator. It didn't fix the problem so I've ordered a Denso reman off Rockauto.com.

The rectifier pack (diodes) are the common fail for Denso units. Fairly easy to replace.

The rectifier pack (diodes) are the common fail for Denso units. Fairly easy to replace.
I haven't seen rectifier packs in any rebuild kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom