TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not a lot of pics but went to start 200 this morning and found starter dead. Not a lot of warning at all, many notes about this failure. My 08 has 123k on it and common mileage for failure. I started tear down at 9am and choose to use method without removing exhaust manifold on passenger side. This required down pipe removal and very patient and strategic heat shield and starter removal. New starter has been redesigned and makes install much easier, except for pesky heat shields...

I wrapped up around 4:15 minus an Uber trip to and from Toyota to get replacement starter and gaskets. Don’t ask just note that when you have two other driveable cruisers you shouldn’t block them in...

Highly recommend preventive maintenance on this repair if you have 5.7L Toyota. There are work arounds to jump starter but since she doesn’t give much notice it could be very inconvenient. Ever have questions don’t hesitate to ask.

C124B8E9-0173-486E-A119-B32BA563F75C.jpeg

Last edited:
Not a lot of pics but went to start 200 this morning and found starter dead. Not a lot of warning at all, many notes about this failure. My 08 has 123k on it and common mileage for failure. I started tear down at 9am and choose to use method without removing exhaust manifold on passenger side. This required down pipe removal and very patient and strategic heat shield and starter removal. New starter has been redesigned and makes install much easier, except for pesky heat shields...

I wrapped up around 4:15 minus an Uber trip to and from Toyota to get replacement starter and gaskets. Don’t ask just note that when you have two other driveable cruisers you shouldn’t block them in...

Highly recommend preventive maintenance on this repair if you have 5.7L Toyota. There are work arounds to jump starter but since she doesn’t give much notice it could be very inconvenient. Ever have questions don’t hesitate to ask.

View attachment 2177934
Been there done that, feel your pain. Did it a few years ago on my 07 tundra, that was an 07 in 15. Had about 320k on it and it was a northern truck that plowed a lot of snow. Many broken rusted bolts, lots of fun.

View attachment 2177934

Ugh, not looking forward to this. But I just ordered the starter since it's on a nice discount from McGeorge Toyota in Henrico VA right now - thanks to a thread on the 200 section right now, saved about $100. Wouldn't have been a second thought if it was dead in the driveway. I assume this would have been a lot easier on a lift? Might have to plan a trip down to Baldree's Tire Pros of Havelock in the near future!

Add me to the list of 3UR owners who purchased a starter due to concern of surprise failure. Recent price drop means you can get it to your door for about $180, down from low $300s on a MSRP of $500. I believe this makes it cheaper than a reman Denso from NAPA.

If there’s a Triad member who wants to earn a few bucks, I’m probably farming the install job out due to the aforementioned install stories. My spouse finds me a more pleasant person when I’m not out in the driveway attempting to invent new curse words.

No promises but @Rice may be able to assist if available ^^^

Ugh, not looking forward to this. But I just ordered the starter since it's on a nice discount from McGeorge Toyota in Henrico VA right now - thanks to a thread on the 200 section right now, saved about $100. Wouldn't have been a second thought if it was dead in the driveway. I assume this would have been a lot easier on a lift? Might have to plan a trip down to Baldree's Tire Pros of Havelock in the near future!

Not sure if lift would make difference, but knowing “a guy” will definitely help! Need thing close as working space is minimal.

View attachment 2177934
@afgman786 Heads up!

I've never had much luck getting the "zip tie repair" method to work for the shaky mirrors on the 80's. Found this thing from @Outsane and it's great. You have to cut off the ears (at least one) on the mirror for clearance (or at least slot them) but if you're doing this fix then they're already broken anyway. Basically, the bracket bolts to existing holes in the metal mirror frame and you slide the motor housing up behind it then slide on the bottom screw post reinforcement ring and reinstall the bottom screw. The seller also offers a fix for mirrors with a broken bottom screw post. He ships from California and I had it in 3 days. I'll be doing another truck as soon as my next set arrives.

Top mirror with broken ear, bottom mirror with ears removed. Note proper JIS screwdriver to prove my absolute awesomeness.
IMG_8219.jpg

IMG_8217.jpg

IMG_8223.jpg

I've never had much luck getting the "zip tie repair" method to work for the shaky mirrors on the 80's. Found this thing from @Outsane and it's great. You have to cut off the ears (at least one) on the mirror for clearance (or at least slot them) but if you're doing this fix then they're already broken anyway. Basically, the bracket bolts to existing holes in the metal mirror frame and you slide the motor housing up behind it then slide on the bottom screw post reinforcement ring and reinstall the bottom screw. The seller also offers a fix for mirrors with a broken bottom screw post. He ships from California and I had it in 3 days. I'll be doing another truck as soon as my next set arrives.

Top mirror with broken ear, bottom mirror with ears removed. Note proper JIS screwdriver to prove my absolute awesomeness.

thanks for the post... Great pictures!

but, but, but, zipties go well with the vision of your truck. they compliment the aluminum butyl tape exquisitely

but, but, but, zipties go well with the vision of your truck. they compliment the aluminum butyl tape exquisitely
Come on now! I had gone with stealth black instead of those pricey metal zip ties. But I like the way you think. Off to Amazon to order some up.

View attachment 2177934

So they decided that under the intake manifold wasn't the best place after all? Good to see they put it back in the "normal" spot on the 5.7

The 95-97 has a hardline water pipe where the 93-94 with the PAIR system had a soft line. I am completely removing the PAIR but it has the throttle cable clip on it. The 95+ has a dedicated bracket for the throttle cable. I found the pipe number, 87208-60161, but can’t seem to find the bracket #. Any help is appreciated
EDIT: 78185-60040 found it

Last edited:
As mentioned before ... wet bath wheel bearings are great until.....

20200121_160721.jpg

As fun as this was I just got word another rig was pulled into the shop tonight that the wheels fell off of. Pics to follow.

My first car was a 57 Chevy Belair. My father got me a set of Mags, they had crap tires so I went and got a new set at one of those new fangled big tire stores (1978). Unknown to me they over tightened the lug nuts and on the way home all 5 studs sheared on the left front tire. I was doing about 45MPH when the wheel let go, tore up fender and dented the door.

Car had a mind of it's own once the metal hit the road and I managed to get it stopped before it rolled over in the ditch. Wild ride for sure! Never did get the crease out of that seat :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom