Update...Metal power seat gears (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The above Ebay listing ships from China/Hong Kong. Interesting that there is another listing from the same seller shipping from Kentucky for $3.50 more. States that they are "cooper" (copper?) which would better than plastic but my preference would be steel of course as the driving worm gear is steel. I think you should give them a try. There was an Ebay 10% off discount code that popped up for me on either.

LOL - I installed the 'soft' gears from Nakman years ago and have had no issues.

Hell no you will trash the gear box, or one of the other parts plastic is there for a reason

Well i already ordered them. I'll see how they look and fit then decide if it's suspect. They're brass, they should still wear. Worse case I'll send them back.

What would you rather replace cheap plastic gear or more expensive gear box or motors.
We used nylon gears on our machines to protect the more expensive and harder to replace components .

What would you rather replace cheap plastic gear or more expensive gear box or motors.
We used nylon gears on our machines to protect the more expensive and harder to replace components .

I understand what you're saying here but the plastic gears aren't generally breaking. They are wearing out correct? Unless the fit wasn't good i dont see how it makes a difference. It seems there would be more damage to the system using worn out plastic gears, gradually adding more play. Even worse a broken piece locking it up.

I don't really know, i thought for sure somebody here would have already tried them. I'll be the guinea pig.

I’m up for trying anything other than plastic. Have swapped mine twice and now have resulted to pulling electrical plug so others can’t move the seats.

Reactions: ppc
They should be brass which may be soft enough. Report back, please.

Go for it, good for you Pioneer... I've replaced my plastic gears once now, I'll be paying attention here

Why reinvent the wheel, those plastic gear failures are due to the plastic centering cap coming lose, and falling off the steel drive shaft. Once that cap falls off the end of that shaft, the shaft has no support.

That will allow the shaft to move off center when the seat is being moved by the motor. Thereby allowing a misalignment between the gears causing the plastic one to strip.

So if you insure that that plastic cap on the end of the steel drive shaft is securely held in place, the chance of the plastic gear failing is GREATLY reduced.

In my case i removed my seat, and pinned my cap in place with a small screw. That mod was done over two years ago, cap hasen't come out, and i haven't had a single problem with my seat gear.

I'm curious to hear how it works out, seems to me the OE design is like a fuse for multiple hold downs in either direction where if you just hold it one way or another it will eventually strip out (not withstanding the end cap being loose or not) Seems something far more expensive or serious might fail if this part was hardened although I don't know that for sure given there's a bunch of things that could have been engineered better on a 80 perhaps this is another one of them so give it a whirl and let us all know

Now hopefully they will make replacement gears for the trip meter/odometer..

if you just hold it one way or another it will eventually strip out
I think the seat has limit switches at the end of it's travel in each direction to prevent damage like that.

Hahahaha totally. Do it!

Never mind the reasons why Toyota engineering decided to use a soft material to act as a sort of “fuse” in the system. It’ll be good to learn what gets destroyed next in the system. We can all learn from it.

I'm actually surprised you made a response like that.

If we are going to be like that, maybe we should point out that Toyota didn't send out 1FZ's with turbos from the factory because they never designed the top ends of them to handle the higher combustion pressures while were at it, but the rest of us can learn from others blown engines? But that wouldn't be very supportive of me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom