Trying to figure out if 4runner wheels will fir on FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the form and it's my first post. Im trying to figure out if the new 2016-2017 4Runner wheels will fit on my 1995 FJ80. Any information will be helpful. THanks in advance!

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the form and it's my first post. Im trying to figure out if the new 2016-2017 4Runner wheels will fit on my 1995 FJ80. Any information will be helpful. THanks in advance!

Yes, they will. You can run them without center caps if you don't have spacers. I did this for a week or so until I had time to install the spacers. If you do run spacers you can run the center caps. I'm assuming that your '95 has the same shank style lugs mine does, and you'll need to run those on the newer 4-runner wheels unless they've changed them to acorns, but I don't believe that to be the case.

View media item 55056View media item 55057

Welcome! And keep in mind that only 1991-1992 had FJ80's. 1993-1997 had FZJ80's. Among other differences, and related to your question, FJ80's had 15" rims. FZJ's had 16" rims and larger brakes.

IMG_1134.JPG
285 70, no spacer. little modification to center caps to fit. Sorry about the half ass pic. Only thing I had on my phone.

Also note that 4runner/Tundra/Sequoia/FJC wheels are available in 7" and 7.5" wide versions. The FZJ80 wheels are 8" wide. Personally I would only consider the 7.5" options. But it comes down to the tire size you plan to run.

This is a good point, especially if you plan on buying tires at any major chain. Most tire manufacturers specify a range of, or at least minimum rim widths for a given tire size, and it's been my experience that the chains don't usually like to stray from those specifications.

I know (thanks to the casting marks) the wheels I got are of the 7.5" variety.

You need not worry about the late model tundra & sequoia rims since they're 5 lug.

Thanks for all the info guys, this really helps. To clarify I have a FZJ80 with 16" rims on it.

Floyd, what size tires are you running on the wheels? Also, what size and type spacers did you go with?

Gsi, what kind of modifications was done to the center caps to fit properly?

Floyd, what size tires are you running on the wheels? Also, what size and type spacers did you go with?

I went with Nitto Crosstek 285/70/17's. The overall dimensions are very close to the 285/75/16's I was running on the stock rims.

upload_2017-5-10_11-9-10.png

Sadly I do little to no off-road driving (maybe fire-road type trail once or twice a year) which explains my road-biased tire selection. Having said that the lugs on these things actually look like they might clear out OK in just about anything I'll encounter other than mud or wet clay.

upload_2017-5-10_11-16-50.png

The spacers are Spidertrax 1.5" model #WHS005.

There is some discussion regarding this in the thread I started a bit ago here.

Floyd, Thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it. Just want to pick your brain a little more. How did the the wheels look without the center caps? Is it a huge difference having the spacers? Are thee required? Sorry for all the questions. This is all new to me.

Floyd, Thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it. Just want to pick your brain a little more. How did the the wheels look without the center caps? Is it a huge difference having the spacers? Are thee required? Sorry for all the questions. This is all new to me.

The spacers are not "required" but if you do plan to do serious wheeling I have heard that the insides of the tires can rub the frame when tucked without them. They also obviously allow you to run the center caps.

I did not get any pictures of my wheels without the spacers & center caps, but you might find some on another rig if you search for "wheels" or "rims" in this forum.

Personally, I think they look incomplete without the center caps, like you lost them or something. Due to the star shape of the center caps it's obvious there is supposed to be something there that isn't. Other guys have run steel or alloy wheels which would typically use a "bullet" style center cap (see below) without them, and I don't think that looks nearly as bad, especially if you paint the hubs to match, or at least a nice solid color.

sum-89-8059s_w_ml.jpg

To be honest, if I planned to do regular wheeling in my rig I would have just found some 17" aftermarket wheels in a similar style that I could have ordered in the proper backspacing and skipped the spacers. Since my main use is on road and the wheels were cheap on craigslist I don't mind the spacers.

Your mileage may vary. :meh:

I pulled out the metal ring on the inside of the caps. Then used a pair of clippers to trim the fins that held the ring in place. Took a few tries to get it right where I didn't have to force it but it was not loose.

No spacers here, but I have a 92 with semi float rear and shorter birfs up front. It's a very tight fit after grinding the inner fins down.
IMG_4519.JPG

If I had a 93-97 with the wider flares, I would definitely install wheel spacers to put them out with the flares as they barely sit inside the flares on mine. I have 35x12.5r17s and have not experienced rubbing. I did just install longer shocks so that might be, but I need to lower the bumpstops before I will find out.

IMG_4521.jpg

I wish they made those wheels 8" wide :meh:

Digging up a bit of an older thread. Were there any obvious issues with 5th gen 4 runner wheels on a FJ80? Found a nice set of 17" that could save my son some money to upgrade and get proper tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom