Wheel Spacers for '95 80 & Late Model 4Runner/FJC Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1995 80 series. I purchased a set of the late model 4Runner Trail / FJ Cruiser 8 hole 17x7.5 wheels because I like the look and additional tire options that the 17" size affords.

Yota-8hole.jpg

I currently have the wheels mounted directly on the rig without the center caps and I'm scheduled to get some new Nitto Crosstek 285/70/17's mounted on them Saturday morning.

I had ordered 2 sets of the beautiful black WHS007K spacers from Spidertrax but did not realize that they would not fit on my LC (due to the hub-centric cone in the center which is used to center the late-model wheels) until I tried to install them last night. Thankfully the nice gentleman I spoke with at Spidertrax this morning has sent me a return authorization number & I'm only out the shipping costs.

whs007klb.jpg

It would seem that I need to run the WHS005 spacers instead so that they clear the hubs, front and rear.

media.nl

My concern is that the rim mounting face of these is not hub-centric, and I don't want a ton of vibrations as this rig is my daily driver & sees almost exclusively street / highway use (hence my tire selection).

I feel like at some point in the past I saw someone mention using 3 acorn style nuts to "center" the rims on the studs, add the other 3 shank style nuts and torque to spec, then replace the 3 acorn nuts with the other 3 shank style nuts.

Has anyone used these spacers or this method with good results on hub-centric wheels?

I'm willing to try this if people have had good results in the past. If not, I guess the wheels can always go back on Craigslist & I can cancel my appointment at NTB until I figure something else out.

Lots of rigs around here are running spacers with later model Toyota wheels to fit up 37s. We all use the 3 acorn trick to help keep them centered up.

Lots of rigs around here are running spacers with later model Toyota wheels to fit up 37s. We all use the 3 acorn trick to help keep them centered up.

I'm guessing with 37's that it would probably be hard to determine if any road vibes were from of-center wheels or massive tires?

I'm guessing with 37's that it would probably be hard to determine if any road vibes were from of-center wheels or massive tires?

Maybe if you didn't balance them, kinda like any other tire?

I run those blue SpiderTrax on my 80 with 35's with no problem.

I have SPECIAL Aftermarket wheels that use NO spacers so none of that problem

I have SPECIAL Aftermarket wheels that use NO spacers so none of that problem

It's almost as if aftermarket wheels can be found in different sizes to work on different vehicles. WEIRD!

:lol:

SleeSpacers.jpeg

Can you elaborate on the 3 acorn method? I just installed 1.5" spacers on my '91 for my '10 FJ Cruiser wheels and I'm getting some vibration above 50mph. I was diligent about centering them with the shank style lugs, but apparently it wasn't good enough.

Can you elaborate on the 3 acorn method? I just installed 1.5" spacers on my '91 for my '10 FJ Cruiser wheels and I'm getting some vibration above 50mph. I was diligent about centering them with the shank style lugs, but apparently it wasn't good enough.
The acorn style nuts are lug centric. You put 3 of them on in a triangle pattern and it centers the wheel. You then put 3 of the correct shoulder style nuts on and they will be centered as well. Then, remove the 3 acorn lugs and put the shouldered nuts in their place. It should be perfectly centered at this point.

I used 1.5" Orion Tech on mine. I have 17" TRD Tacoma rims on 33's with a 3" Dobinsons lift... I can fit the center caps on the front but not on the rear (but very close)

IMG_5134.JPG

IMG_5135.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom