Trip to Silverton / Ouray in 2 weeks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I'm planning a trip with my family to southwest Colorado over Memorial Day week. None of use have been there. Planning to use iOverlander to find places to camp. If we have time over the 9 to 10 day period, we are going to try to hit the eastern Grand Canyon, too. Goal is to hit several of the trails I've been hearing about over the past 2 years.

Since I haven't been, I'm looking for advice on what to do and where to go and where to camp over the 5 to 6 days that aren't travel days (we live in eastern TN).

Thanks in advance.

I would check to see if the trails will be open. I heard roomers of gates being installed to close trails off during the Chinese virus

A lot of the good trails will be closed until late June/July due to snow. Cinnamon pass was closed all of last year due to an avalanche. I would highly recommend checking to see if any of the trails you are wanting to go on are closed. What trails are you planning to take?

Also, please be prepared for the altitude if you aren't acclimated.

A lot of the good trails will be closed until late June/July due to snow. Cinnamon pass was closed all of last year due to an avalanche. I would highly recommend checking to see if any of the trails you are wanting to go on are closed. What trails are you planning to take?

Also, please be prepared for the altitude if you aren't acclimated.

I did Alpine Loop and Cinnamon Pass in August 2019.

I guess it reopened after I was there. I went in July.

2 weeks prior , a local said the trails were not passable. Fast thaw for sure. this is outside Telluride on the Cinnamon Pass route after coming down the switchbacks. Up there by the snow is that "top of the world" like rock to drive out on

70400201_10220364296279841_1458857144701943808_o.jpg

I don’t have a specific list of trails. I plan on calling visitor centers and forest ranger offices on the way out to get the latest data. My family has never been out there, so even just “good” trails or back roads would be good for us. We are going to make the best of it no matter what.
So, in that spirit, any road or trail recommendations that are likely open that are scenic, pretty, etc - all appreciated.

The Alpine Loop- Engineer and Cinnamon Pass, Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass, Ophir Pass, Poughkeepsie Gulch, Yankee Boy basin, and if you get the chance, drop by the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Hopefully, most of those won't be closed, but it's really early in the season. June is usually the earliest most stuff opens up there. Be ready for a couple of feet of snow or winter conditions on most stuff that is open. It would be good if you have OK snow tires and lockers along with a lot of recovery gear.

Its been below 40 at my house most nights. Its usually colder towards Ouray. Are you planning on bringing at least two vehicles?

Last edited:
San Miguel county's website showed all the trails as closed, and they county has extra restrictions to prevent any non-resident from visiting. Ouray county says they will start May 18th to clear roads, with a goal of having things fully open by July 4th.

Thanks for the feedback @DangerNoodle and @torsf .

After a few discussions with TLCA leaders in the area, I think our path is going to be:

1) East TN to Durango CO over 2 days, driving through Dodge City, KS - the Earp museum may not be open, but we'll see
2) Durango to Montrose, stopping in Silverton and Ouray, half day ish
3) Rimrocker, Montrose to Moab over 3 days ish - I've heard this route is now open
4) Quickly hit Arches and Grand Escalante in a day, getting close to the Grand Canyon that night
5) A day at the Grand Canyon
6) 2 days back home thru AZ/NM/TX/OK - unless we see something on a map worth a detour.

That looks like it would be a good trip. You may want a luttle longer for Arches. Its a really cool place.

We just booked AirB&B for July 6-10 in Ouray. We called local cops to make sure before booking..... they gave us a local covid hotline with most up to date info. Called and said hotels opening today to 100% capacity and also restaurants will be also but encouraging take out or dining out. They said passes were being cleared and hope to open later in month.

Just got back. Ouray requires masks in any store. Coffee shop in downtown Silverton was defiantly mask-free (and that’s not a criticism, just an observation relative to everything else). Ophir pass was still blocked with snow at 11,850 ft. Rimrocker was wide open and easy to navigate (though I got some significant pin striping). Moab is basically completely open. If you spend most your time in CO, you will find it much more restrictive than UT.
Have a plan B for breakfast at a hotel, no one is serving it - but that could change by early July.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom