TRD Supercharged 3URFE 5.7 Tundra powered FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well here is the new FJ. It's a 77 and is being loaded on a truck in NV today. I haven't put my hands on it but it appears to be a good start. Should have it here in a few days. The owner had a 77 & a 76. He made me a good offer on both.

Joe

My only delay is money. 1 3UR, 1 TRD Supercharger 1 FJ shipped from Reno, NV - Not cheap. Yeah it takes time to make it all happen. I actually have to figure out how I buy this and flip that and then I can get to my end goal. Plus I have a house and 4 other mouths to feed. Did I mention I have 3 daughters. LOL

Both rigs were picked up on Saturday. Should be here by the end of the week! Here are some pics sent to me by the Lonnie the seller when they were loading them.

Joe

:):):beer:

I have been out of town for several days with the family. Had a great time. However, like a girl on the side, (Which I have never had:) I couldn't get my mind off this FJ40 build and I couldn't wait to get home and work on it! As soon as I got home I helped the wifey get the kids to bed and had a cup of coffee. Once the wifey retired to bed I made a B-line to the basement to work on the FJ. I just had to get the motor off the stand on hanging in the engine bay to see how my finished product might look. This would also answer the question if this could actually fit or be done. Well I am happy to report that there is no doubt in my mind that this can and will be done and I am super excited to be the one doing it. Once settled in a position that may represent the engines final resting place I found only one big hurdle. That hurdle being the steering gear box. I also noticed that a straight shaft to a saginaw conversion won't work either due to the super wide cylinder heads obstructing the steering shaft path. However, I have this ingenious solution that I have been thinking about and can't wait to show you all. In the 30+ years that people have been doing power steering conversions on FJ's this one will be way outside the box! Well with great excitement here are the pics and I hope you think it's as kick ass as I do! Enjoy

JoeDrifter

Man, those really are fat cylinder heads.

Nice rigs I want to get a FJ40 to add to my pig and tundra.

Hey I need a Tundra 5.7 auto trans bell housing if anyone has one.

Thanks
Joe

Ya I'm sure I got a couple of those laying around......ha just kidding, sorry that wasn't very helpful...your probably looking at OE or junkyards to find one of those man, and your just going to cut it up anyways right? sounds like a junkyard is the best idea, or finding someone selling an entire pulled trans with bell housing. With this being a second 5.7 build for you sounds like you may begin to earn a reputation, perhaps you should consider producing a bell housing. I don't know if you have the materials or tools to make it work but if you can build a decent prototype I'm sure it's going to eventually be a popular swap, maybe not for 40 guys (guess it depends how well yours goes) but popular for toyotas no less, especially if it fits a h55f with a reasonable clutch package. Good luck man.

I can't take it anymore, what's the steering going to look like???

Well let me get it mocked up and I will post up a pic. I have already removed the factory steering gear box. Tell me, has anyone ever made an aftermarket power steering gear box to sit in a similar location as the factory box? That won't work for me as the heads are so wide. However, I can't imaging no one has swapped a Ford or GM box.

I am most likely going to use the stock Tcase. My goal is to keep it as much oe as possible. I would love to have a 5 speed trans. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom