TRD Supercharged 3URFE 5.7 Tundra powered FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well let me get it mocked up and I will post up a pic. I have already removed the factory steering gear box. Tell me, has anyone ever made an aftermarket power steering gear box to sit in a similar location as the factory box? That won't work for me as the heads are so wide. However, I can't imaging no one has swapped a Ford or GM box.

Yes, you use a Toyota mini truck steering gear. Like this: here

I had to stretch my rear to fit a Toyota V6, have you taken measurements to see how much you need?

So let me ask this. On factory power steering setups do they just pipe hose into the factor steering gear box? Does it have provisions for hydraulic line? I still don't have room to go this route but its good to know.

Thanks
Joe

I am most likely going to use the stock Tcase. My goal is to keep it as much oe as possible. I would love to have a 5 speed trans. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Joe
Stock fj40 or tundra? I've always considered doing the 5.7 swap in my 2nd gen Tacoma but I want to stay way from using the electronic actuator in the tundra and Tacoma platform. The t4r and FJC manual tcase fits the Tacoma transmission but I don't think transmission the 3ur normslly has. I can't wait to see this thing done. Lots of inspiration coming from the build.

Well let me get it mocked up and I will post up a pic. I have already removed the factory steering gear box. Tell me, has anyone ever made an aftermarket power steering gear box to sit in a similar location as the factory box? That won't work for me as the heads are so wide. However, I can't imaging no one has swapped a Ford or GM box.

YES!! we imported a truck from Costa Rica that had a ford box of some sort held in position with some interesting welds and brackets, it worked well actually and other than the crappy way it was mounted i'm sure it can be done again. I think I still have the box laying around if you want some numbers off of it, or I could post a picture...

Hey guys, where can I find a reasonable price on a used h55 transmission? Or perhaps a part number for a new one? I figure if I'm going through making this bell housing I should start with a 5 speed. What can I expect to sell my 4 speed manual trans for?

Thanks
Joe

The front bolt pattern and input shaft/retainer of the 4 and 5 speed (H42 and H55f respectively) are the same. You can use you H42 for bellhousing mockup just fine.

Hey guys, where can I find a reasonable price on a used h55 transmission? Or perhaps a part number for a new one? I figure if I'm going through making this bell housing I should start with a 5 speed. What can I expect to sell my 4 speed manual trans for?

Thanks
Joe

classifieds here on mud is your best bet for used, but for this type of build, I would pony up and get a new one about $2500. If an h55f pops up on the classifieds you better be ready with cash in hand!

Your H42 4 speed will probably bring $300-600, depending on how sloppy it is.

Canadian BJ42s came with power steering, and come up for sale from time to time. They are expensive though6. The ps box is very similar to your factory box in size. Maybe a scout box or 60 series on the outside of the frame would fit around that big engine.

So let me ask this. On factory power steering setups do they just pipe hose into the factor steering gear box? Does it have provisions for hydraulic line? I still don't have room to go this route but its good to know.

Thanks
Joe

Your H42 4 speed will probably bring $300-600, depending on how sloppy it is.

Depending on where you are in the country. Here on the northern east coast where the trucks rust away leaving the drivetrain behind it is hard to GIVE one of those away oftentimes.

Canadian BJ42s came with power steering, and come up for sale from time to time. They are expensive though6. The ps box is very similar to your factory box in size. Maybe a scout box or 60 series on the outside of the frame would fit around that big engine.

Your steering shaft wont go around it, I can almost guarantee that. You could get creative and use some u-joints to go around slightly but I doubt it would work. Maybe the hot rod market will have a good solution for this.

by the way @JoeDrifter , what tire size/suspension are you planning for this?

@cwwfj60,

Your right about the steering shaft. When I centered the motor the steering shaft hits the heads. I will have to figure this out.

Joe

Hey Guys,

It's taken some time since my last update. However, I juggling this and several other projects. However, Here are some good picks of the 4 speed up to the Tundra motor. I have the bell housing being shipped. Once I get that I should be able to determine my next moves. You have seen it here first!

Joe

\\

YEEEEESSSSS

very cool, have you gotten a proper pilot bearing setup yet? I'm assuming that crankshaft has some kind of provision for a bearing of some sort?

Does the 5.7L come with a standard in anything? overseas?

It's a shame how the manual transmission is being forgotten in the auto industry

cwwfj60 - The 5.7 does not have a manual that I am aware of. As far as the bearing / bushing goes, I had to make one for the Lexus 5.7 to 6 speed. I will most likely have to do the same with this one.

Ok guys, I think I am going to sell the 4 speed and tfc. If you all know where I can find an H151f with transfer case please let me know.

thanks
Joe

I got mine from Australia from a guy there that WAS sourcing parts for import to the US... I have tried to get in touch with him to do another deal but have not been successful.
I know this is no help... you can buy new through @Akella I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom