Trailer tongue weight distribution question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those with small off-road trailer, are you following the 10/90 to 20/80 tongue weight distribution method? I hardly have anything on my trailer, and am having a hard time picking up the tongue and moving the trailer around. I debating weather I need to add a foot or two to the tongue length to help with this. I brought up a discussion on facebook, and people said they were loading more weight on the tongue then the rest of the trailer. Thoughts.

oveyGlt.jpg

I have a sliding tongue on mine so that I can adjust the weight and also for ferry rides. I weighted it the first time and had about 15% tongue weight, from there it varies a bit with what I am carrying

I'd say you shouldn't plan on horsing that one around too much by the tongue. It's a big trailer, plus that utility body adds even more.

Also remember the tongue weight calculations are really another way to express what you should have for overall weight distribution, 60/40. Once a trailer gets heavy enough, the tongue weight, even if accurately balanced, may exceed what you should plan on moving by grabbing it by the tongue. That may be the case here.

Reactions: YMT
For those with small off-road trailer, are you following the 10/90 to 20/80 tongue weight distribution method? I hardly have anything on my trailer, and am having a hard time picking up the tongue and moving the trailer around. I debating weather I need to add a foot or two to the tongue length to help with this. I brought up a discussion on facebook, and people said they were loading more weight on the tongue then the rest of the trailer. Thoughts.......

I have a sliding tongue on mine so that I can adjust the weight and also for ferry rides. I weighted it the first time and had about 15% tongue weight, from there it varies a bit with what I am carrying
After I got my trailer, I was concerned about tongue weight and asked an experienced friend for advice. He said weigh the trailer loaded with all your gear and then shoot for 10% for your tongue weight. Your not going to get it perfect, but use it as a guide line and keep it close. He also said a sliding tongue like Coop is suggesting, will help you dial it right in. My trailer came with one and it also helps when "picking up the tongue and moving the trailer around." If you're going to mod your tongue, rather than just adding length, go with the sliding tongue. Mine also has a receiver in the rear, so it's effectively reversible. Meaning if you get into a tight spot, you can disco your rig.....turn it around, pull the tongue out of the front and temporarily put it in the rear receiver & tow it to a place you can get both turned around and/or re-situated. You can check out the link in my sig to see my tongue setup.

I agree with the 60/40 split for weight distribution, for the cargo area, which also includes how you load the weight into the trailer; based on level ground with a level trailer. The utility box you have seems to be about 50/50, based on the axle position in relation to the box. Not knowing what you have on the tongue makes it tough to estimate weight. I'm guessing your trailer is around 750-1000# empty, assuming the frame is around 150 or so and the box is 600 give or take.
What's in the tongue boxes? Do you have a guestimate on weights of the frame, box, tongue boxes, tent, etc?
A sliding tongue will help, relatively, by reducing the tongue weight on the vehicle (I know there's equations to figure it out, but that's beyond my recollection and knowledge).
Based on the picture, it appears that's the tow rig sits about an inch or two lower than the trailer, causing the weight to shift forward of the axle, and increasing weight on the tongue. A hitch with less drop or raised hitch should help

Search "Shear & Moment Diagram" and how to graphically lay one out. You're looking for the "Simply supported, partial distributed load" version or the "Simply supported, point load(s)" version. That is the best way to calculate tongue weight. It treats the frame as a beam with a simple load on it. Can use this to figure out how big of tube to use when building the trailer too.

Our little off-road tent trailer has a sliding tongue. I've only ever used it to manually move the trailer around the yard and have never needed to tow it at any setting other than fully compressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom