Trailer Registration Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Motor Vehicle Division Trailer Registration question:

Here the back ground:

The trailer is a 1966 M416, it has a tag on the trailer with serial and model numbers. Title is in my possession. There are no plates (license) on the trailer.

We are in New Mexico.

We purchased a trailer from someone(a) in CO (not on title) who purchased the trailer from person (b) also in CO who signed the title. The title is from Indiana.

The title is signed over to person (b) but they never registered the trailer into their name or state.

Any idea how to deal with this?

Do I forget the original title and take trailer in for inspection?

Do I do a bill of sale with person (a)?

Not sure I can get person (b) to sign a bill of sale.

This sale on title with original owner and person (b) happened in 1996. Person (b) just sat on the trailer until he sold it to person (a) last year, 2021, person (a) quickly sold/traded it to us.

What would you do?

Last edited:
I posted to Desert Valley Overlanders on FB, which is ABQ.
Thanks for the reply!

FYI I ran into a similar issue here in Texas. Title I got from the seller for my 1946 Bantam T3-C trailer was from AZ and the seller was from AR. Seller's name on the signed BOS was not on the title. Had the AZ title but never registered it in AR before he sold it to me. In Texas the title I have is basically no good. The title I have does not even reflect the actual VIN tag I have for the trailer. I was told I would have to get a bonded title issued and purchased to have some proof of ownership of the trailer. The process requires having the original VIN verified which I was not sure how that would go with my trailer. Then after some amount of time (if no claims of proof of ownership come up from someone else)you can get a real title issued for it. Here the wait period is three years. The bonded title has to be purchased by the owner from a third party. It was pretty expensive when I last checked into it.

In Texas, you have an option to register a trailer as "homemade" to get it on the road. Even though its a Bantam T3-C, I went this route for keeping things simple and was able to register it without a title for it. I would like to get a title for it at some point so I could sell it easier but have not gone through all the mess of doing so. With COVID, our local government resources are still way backlogged on stuff. This may be different in NM but its how it works here. GL and HTH.

Last time I registered a home built trailer in New Mexico it was a pain in the butt. Just so the state can get some more tax money out of us they want receipts for materials. They wanted receipts even though I told them it was built out of scrap.

It really is BS because we have to pay sales tax on the materials when we buy them and then pay another tax on the same materials just to register the trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom