Trailer Brake Controller_User Feedback (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eighteen11R

1811SAR
SILVER Star
Threads
Wondering what the trailer brake controller of choice is here?

Most of the systems I'm used to were already installed, were big and clunky and usually mounted in the wrong place. Lately, I've seen the REDARC company out of Australia doing their "Overlanding" battery power smart charging/maintenance/distribution demos. Does anyone have any application recommendations?

Below is REDARC's discreet dash mounted remote head can be mounted in a blank switch panel, on an unused area of the dashboard or center console, within vision and easy reach of the driver and away from your knees.

I'm a 470/100 series guy and realize my towing will be very limited, ~5000 lbs., but I think a discrete trailer brake controller would be sweet. Does anyone know of any US companies doing this?

Ive been running Tekonsha controllers for years. What I love about them is their size, detects G-Force and the ability to mount anywhere. I've run three vehicles with the P2 Prodigy. My Cruiser, TJ and Tacoma don't have much space and these are the smallest I could find. The Cruiser and Tacoma are set into small cubby holes out of the way. In the Cruiser it's almost flush to the lower dash panel and the Tacoma, it sticks out about half an inch. The TJ (sold) had it mounted against the lower dash panel facing up.
By sensing G-Force, they add in more braking if you stop harder. They also have a plug on the back to make the unit easier to remove if necessary.

Edit: Reading the link you provided, those units look pretty nice. What I didn't see was if you can manually apply the trailer brake. The units I run can be set to amount of braking, sensitivity of the accelerometer (G-Force) and apply manually. Once set up, I have no reason to adjust the amount of braking. If I was running a flat bed trailer then I would need to set from empty to loaded but, I dont run those. As far as I can see, all the remote knob does on the Redarc unit is set amount of braking. The only reason you would need that, is constantly switching between trailers. The Redarcs do have an accelerometer so that's a big plus. The fact that its remote is nice but if I didn't care about manually engaging and only ran one trailer, I could set mine up and stuff it out of the way behind the dash.
Being able to manually control my trailer comes in handy off road on soft down hills and slippery mud. I can keep the trailer behind me by dragging it without applying my brakes.

Last edited:
Do you have any pics of your installation @smritte ?

Do you have any pics of your installation @smritte ?
I can get some in a few. I edited my post after you posted here in case you didn't see what I wrote.

Here's some install pics. I was mistaken on the Cruiser being flush, It sticks out a little.

Cruiser control.JPG

Cruiser Pic
The bottom is flush with the dash and its mounted in what was a cutout from the factory. I only opened the hole slightly. Its hard to see but, its not in the way at all getting in and out. Wow, I need to clean this dash.

Taco control.JPG

Tacoma mount.
This was a bracket I bought. I could have actually made it flush had I not cared about the manual apply lever.

The Tacoma has the latest generation of the controller and the Cruiser is last gen.

Last edited:
Here's some install pics. I was mistaken on the Cruiser being flush, It sticks out a little.

View attachment 2292608

Cruiser Pic
The bottom is flush with the dash and its mounted in what was a cutout from the factory. I only opened the hole slightly. Its hard to see but, its not in the way at all getting in and out. Wow, I need to clean this dash.

View attachment 2292609
Tacoma mount.
This was a bracket I bought. I could have actually made it flush had I not cared about the manual apply lever.

The Tacoma has the latest generation of the controller and the Cruiser is last gen.

Thanks for the pics @smritte. Where did you tie into the braking electrical system? Did you have to run a hard wire back to the trailer plug receiver?

On the Cruiser I have an auxiliary fuse block so power came from there and ran the wire for the brakes back. The tacoma had a pigtail so that made it nice. All the controllers I've wired were done the same. Power, Ground and tie into your stop light switch then a feed to the rear for the brakes.

Reading the link you provided, those units look pretty nice. What I didn't see was if you can manually apply the trailer brake.

Yes, just push the button. The dial sets the braking sensitivity like the old systems did using the small roller...

Being able to manually control my trailer comes in handy off road on soft down hills and slippery mud. I can keep the trailer behind me by dragging it without applying my brakes.

Yes, manual control is just a push of the button. On the CURT Echo you push the button on the screen of your mobile device. They have a pretty cool video on the set-up and use.

I installed the Redarc tow pro...love it! Very intuitive.
IMG_20200504_184833.jpg

That looks awesome... It looks factory my friend. Nice work. Did you take any pics of your install? Is it hard to get the panel out of the dash?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom