Trailer Brake Controller Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bear Lake Cruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
I need to install a trailer brake controller. I have a 2013 LX570. I have the factory pigtail to connect the 'hidden" plug to the controller. If I go with the Redarc I do not have an unused switch location for the control knob. And I am not a fan of changing ashtray/lighter socket as I like to use it as an additional usb charging port but I could live with it. Any other suggestions? I'm not completely sold on the Redarc but if I must drill a hole somewhere It would probably be less intrusive than drilling and hanging the entire controller assembly such as a Tekonsha that I have in my other vehicles. Any Advice would be appreciated.

There are two switch blanks under the dash next to the tpms reset. They are reachable while driving, but not in the most convenient location.

06C19AE8-208E-491D-A2DF-CC18C61AD60A.jpeg

88474463-B8B9-48E5-9B78-9DAFE148BAE9.jpeg

30E96DB5-E0F4-47E1-9590-7013C90A9EA3.jpeg

Why not using a wireless controller?
That is a good question. I just barely looked them up yesterday. They seem pretty pricey and my particular trailer does not have a very good place to install the box on the tongue. I'll have to look into this more. Do you have experience with them? If so what are your feelings?

I removed the Power Door Off button and used that spot for my Redarc. Although I have never had to use it, I am a firm believer in having the button immediately available in case I ever need to manually apply the brakes.

There is some discussion in this thread

lxBrakeButtonLoc.jpg

I removed the Power Door Off button and used that spot for my Redarc. Although I have never had to use it, I am a firm believer in having the button immediately available in case I ever need to manually apply the brakes.

There is some discussion in this thread

View attachment 2884969
I feel the same way about having the controller readily accessible. Although I load my trailer properly to avoid fishtailing it can still happen from time to time depending on wind, road surface, etc. It's nice to be able to touch the trailer brakes while keeping power to the truck to straighten things up instantly. Also I believe the wireless model controller has a plug in to the cig lighter for power and a flex cable to the handheld controller. In my mind this will create more clutter on top on all the other crap I use.

That is a good question. I just barely looked them up yesterday. They seem pretty pricey and my particular trailer does not have a very good place to install the box on the tongue. I'll have to look into this more. Do you have experience with them? If so what are your feelings?
No personal experience, but it is popular with Outback folks.
When I'll install a controller in my LX I'll probably go that way.

The one I have is actually really good. It's the Tekonsha Prodigy RF. I don't use it anymore since I installed the Redarc. It really is perfect for occasional towing, though. If you're towing all the time, I wouldn't recommend it since it's not as practical as the Redarc. If you do decide to get a wireless one, the Tekonsha RF is the way to go. The Curt version is really lame (IMHO). On a related note, I could be persuaded to sell it. I even have the box for it. I'd take $200.

Last edited:
The one I have is actually really good. It's the Tekonsha Prodigy RF. I don't use it anymore since I installed the Redarc. It really is perfect for occasional towing, though. If you're towing all the time, I wouldn't recommend it since it's not as practical as the Redarc. If you do decide to get a wireless one, the Tekonsha RF is the way to go. The Curt version is really lame (IMHO). On a related note, I could be persuaded to sell it. I even have the box for it. I'd take $200.
Let me think about that....still gathering info. Thanks for the info and the fair offer. I was looking at the Curt version but was not that impressed. When you used your Tekonsha did it keep up the bluetooth connection good and strong? And id it interfere with other Bluetooth items such as the LX570 audio bluetooth and an OBDII unit?

Let me think about that....still gathering info. Thanks for the info and the fair offer. I was looking at the Curt version but was not that impressed. When you used your Tekonsha did it keep up the bluetooth connection good and strong? And id it interfere with other Bluetooth items such as the LX570 audio bluetooth and an OBDII unit?
Never lost connection. It's not Bluetooth like the Curt, it uses some unknown (to me at least) radio frequency. It really is a solid unit. Hell, it's been on the market for 12 years already. The controller and the box have to be paired once when new, then you never have to set or think about it again.

Another RedArc Tow Pro Elite user with the controller installed right of the steering wheel. If you don't have an available blank you could always drill and mount it wherever you like.

JZTowSM.jpg

Last edited:
Never lost connection. It's not Bluetooth like the Curt, it uses some unknown (to me at least) radio frequency. It really is a solid unit. Hell, it's been on the market for 12 years already. The controller and the box have to be paired once when new, then you never have to set or think about it again.
I sent you a PM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom