Trail Ratings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
Someone mentioned formalizing trail ratings. I poached this from Cruise Moab and made some adjustments. What do you think?
1617912294530.png

They need a .5 in the middle of those.

I always liked the trail classification in the Mitchel trail guides;
Everything seems to have its standard of measurement. Earthquakes have their Richter Scale, sound has its decibels, and heat has its British Thermal Units. It does not seem unreasonable then, that we should be able to quantify the degree of difficulty that a road or jeep trail should present. The scale, which we modestly call the Mitchell Scale, was stolen from mountain climbers who have their own type of madness. It begins with Class I, the easiest trail conceivable, to Class VI, the impossible.

Class I Class I​

This includes just about type of semi-improved road, which receives little or no maintenance, over which you can drive a standard passenger car with little fear of damaging the undercarriage.

Class II Class II​

This road might have a high center, or an occasional rock sticking up, either of which could cause problems for ordinary passenger cars. While this class of road may possibly be negotiated by a skilled driver operating a low-slung automobile, we nevertheless recommend this road for two-wheel drive vehicles having higher ground clearance than most passenger cars. Four-wheel drive and dual range gears are not needed.

Class III Class III​

The surface of this road may be very rocky, very sandy, or very steep. This is the easiest type of road that would prudently require the driver to use four-wheel drive. A transfer case offering low range gears and locking axles is not needed. Unless they are excessively wide, most off-the-shelf SUVs and pickups, even those being driven by drivers having limited off- road experience, should be able to handle this road without any vehicle damage.

Class IV Class IV​

Here we begin to separate the men from the boys, both in terms of driver experience and the type of vehicle. We only recommend this severity of road for fully experienced drivers, who know the capabilities of their vehicle very well. A transfer case with ultra low-range gears is necessary, as is at least one full-locking axle, skid plates protecting everything vital underneath, and oversize tires of at least 33 inches that can be easily deflated and inflated on the trail. Be aware that some minor vehicle body damage could occur, unless the driver has an outside spotter to act as a guide. Roads and trails having significant portions of Class IV are unsuitable for more than half of the unmodified pickups and SUVs on the market today.

Class V Class V​

This is an extremely difficult road, totally unsuitable for 98% of new vehicles as they leave the factory. The following items are a must: A transfer case with low range gears, two to four-inch lift of the suspension, locking axels both front and rear, skid plates protecting the entire undercarriage, roll bars, and a winch. Even with a spotter, some vehicle damage will occur. This is not a trail for the faint of heart, a novice four-wheeler, or a stock right out of the factory vehicle.

Class VI Class VI​

This is extreme four-wheeling for hard-core rock crawlers only. Besides the equipment and modifications listed above, a full rigid cage is recommended. Even with an experienced driver in a highly modified vehicle, the chances of a rollover are quite high!

I always liked the trail classification in the Mitchel trail guides

I like them too but I want a quick reference style rather than a three pages and I like that the chart is used for Moab and others in the TLCA too.

I find myself liking them both as well. What I like about the Mitchell guide is that it doesn’t slice the differences too finely like the Moab guide, but I like SOME of the equipment suggestions of the MOAB guide as it relates to a particular trail class. A lot of this is so subjective and subject to personal experience, driver skill, the amount of help you have, etc.

I find myself liking them both as well. What I like about the Mitchell guide is that it doesn’t slice the differences too finely like the Moab guide, but I like SOME of the equipment suggestions of the MOAB guide as it relates to a particular trail class. A lot of this is so subjective and subject to personal experience, driver skill, the amount of help you have, etc.

Yeah I agree. I do REALLY like the quick reference style of the Moab list and I was able to create the adjustable graphic for the "Trail Scale" too and I think it is cool! :geek:

1617991888161.png

I like them too but I want a quick reference style rather than a three pages and I like that the chart is used for Moab and others in the TLCA too.
Sorry I wasn't saying they were useful just entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom