TORT: The ONSC Rant Thread (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have the truck listed as an antique with antique tags. The state assessed value is automatically $500 and the tax bill is lowered substantially. I had mine valued at $4500 and when I got the antique listing its value dropped to $500 and my tax bill was less tha8 $8. I even received a refund for the excess taxes when I got the antique tags. No mileage limit or other restrictions.

However, High Point, in all their stupid glory, charges a vehicle fee that was $5 per year per vehicle which is now $20 per year per vehicle. That didn't change.

AND you get this fancy plate that says antique!!!

View attachment 1644247

I started getting this pop up from time to time while viewing mud on my iPhone. It’s happening more frequently now and now it’s occuring on other sites and our iPad.

I feel like I’ve never clicked on something that would infect my devices but here I am. Can anyone help diagnose and fix my problem?

It’s not your phone or anything you clicked but a banner ad that has embedded malicious code. The site owner is the one to fix it or you can try deleting your browsing history therefore changing the ‘personalized’ ads that are shown when you visit a site.

...and if you knew all the bad stuff that JavaScript can do then you’d disable that on your browser too...but then the interwebs wouldn’t work for you. Thank the pale person who lives in their parents basement, the Russians, Chinese government, CNN and every other stupid person!!!

Yes!
DSCN0253.JPG

It’s not your phone or anything you clicked but a banner ad that has embedded malicious code. The site owner is the one to fix it or you can try deleting your browsing history therefore changing the ‘personalized’ ads that are shown when you visit a site.
Silver Star fixes that. No banner ads.

80 Series windshield replacement is a nightmare! For the unadulterated, the 80 series requires a new seal every time the windshield is replaced. The new seal is supposed to be glued onto the glass and the glass and seal offered up as a unit and glued into the vehicle. My 80 had an old replacement glass in it when I bought it. Glass was fine but it was obvious that the seal was not replaced. The glass was wiggling around in the seal and it squeaked over every bump.

I called a local guy to come out and re-seal the glass. He pulled back the rubber seal on the exterior and ran a bead of urethane under it. $150 spent and glass continued to squeak.

I bought a new windshield seal from Toyota $80. Took me weeks to get one. Once I did, I made several calls to shops around Charlotte, looking to find a company that would remove the windshield, install the new seal and re-use the old windshield. Auto Glass Now on South Blvd said they would try. I made an appointment. Things were looking good.

On the day of my appointment, I was prepared. I had a brand new seal and copied the three or four pages from the FSM that explained the install procedure. I spoke with them in great detail about the common issues of the glass in these trucks and made them promise to glue the glass into the seal and then the seal into the body. They said they would but that that's not how they normally do it. They talked me into ordering a new glass to have on hand in the event that they broke the old glass getting it out. Like a dumbass, I agreed. The glass was $150. I let them do the job. They broke the old glass (surprise) and a new glass was installed with the new seal. Everything looked fine when I picked up the truck. Glass didn't squeak so I assumed I was good.

About a week later the squeak came back and I noticed that when it rained, water was getting under the seal. I could push on the seal from the inside and wet my finger with it. Not dripping, but not dry either. I poked around at the seal and determined that the glass had been installed dry. No urethane was used at all between the rubber and the glass. None. Even after Auto Glass Now told me they would and assured me they did on the day I picked up the truck. Liars!

I made an appointment to have the glass re-sealed under warranty. I took it back to the shop and asked them to fix it. They pulled the glass, ran a bead of urethane in the seal and re-installed the glass. No more squeaks! Later that day it rained. I noticed a leak at the passenger side lower corner of the windshield. Crap!

Today I took the truck back to Auto Glass Now to have more urethane forced in between the glass and the seal. We will see what happens next time it rains. I'm crossing my fingers and saying prayers at this point. I'm really tired of dealing with this issue.

What really chaps me about this is that I supplied a new seal and they ruined it by not installing it the way they were supposed to. If I have to do anything else to this windshield, it's going to need another $80 Toyota seal. I can't leave it to them to replace it under warranty because I know that they will use some aftermarket garbage.

DON'T EVER TAKE YOUR CAR TO AUTO GLASS NOW IN CHARLOTTE! FIND SOMEBODY ELSE. THEY ARE DISHONEST AND DO HALF-ASSED WORK. DON'T. JUST DON'T.

I am really bummed to hear this. My glass squeaks real bad and I've been considered purchasing a new seal and taking it to a glass company. Now I don't know what I will do :(

I am really bummed to hear this. My glass squeaks real bad and I've been considered purchasing a new seal and taking it to a glass company. Now I don't know what I will do :(
Can't hurt to start here. HOW TO: Fix your leaky windshield
If it doesn't work it won't shouldn't impact what the glass company does.

The link above will work for fixing a leak but it probably won't help with the squeak. That is the first thing I tried with mine and no dice. The squeak comes from the glass contacting the seal on the inside, not the outside. To fix the squeak, the glass has to come out. @lumbee1 It all boils down to who is doing the work. If it's someone you know and trust, you'll be fine. The thing you don't want to do is to pick some random shop to do it. They will screw it up. It has been suggested to me to find a glass company that does work for dealerships as opposed to the regular shops who mainly do insurance work. Get the seal yourself from Toyota. Don't leave that up to the glass folks or else you'll end up with an aftermarket seal that will leak in short order. Supervise the install if you can to ensure it is done properly. I provided a photocopy of the FSM but my guys didn't read it and probably thought I was just being difficult by asking them to do it the way it was supposed to be done. Now that it has been back two additional times for warranty work, I wonder if they regret ignoring my instruction? Probably not. They don't give a crap.

Last edited:
The link above will work for fixing a leak but it probably won't help with the squeak. That is the first thing I tried with mine and no dice. The squeak comes from the glass contacting the seal on the inside, not the outside. To fix the squeak, the glass has to come out. @lumbee1 It all boils down to who is doing the work. If it's someone you know and trust, you'll be fine. The thing you don't want to do is to pick some random shop to do it. They will screw it up. It has been suggested to me to find a glass company that does work for dealerships as opposed to the regular shops who mainly do insurance work. Get the seal yourself from Toyota. Don't leave that up to the glass folks or else you'll end up with an aftermarket seal that will leak in short order. Supervise the install if you can to ensure it is done properly. I provided a photocopy of the FSM but my guys didn't read it and probably thought I was just being difficult by asking them to do it the way it was supposed to be done. Now that it has been back two additional times for warranty work, I wonder if they regret ignoring my instruction? Probably not. They don't give a crap.
Thanks Dave! My windshield squeaks pulling out of the driveway and on just about every road imperfection. The kids like to joke that there are squirrels living in the Cruiser when we drive on the gravel roads in Uwharrie.

Believe me. I know. Mine did the exact same thing. I even tried forcing SYL Glide down between the glass and the seal on the inside to quieten it down. That just made a greasy mess and did not affect the squeak in the least.

I couldn't live with it. Noises like that push the limits of my sanity.

BLOCKING!! I am amazed by how much plastic filler gets slathered on custom built cars and trucks and sanded to one big plane. They must buy the stuff in 55 gallon drums. Can't imagine the cubic yards of dust they produce in a year.

Take it to a place that listens. Well documented issue with installers not wanting to follow FSM but i called around and found one that would and had no issues in 2yr since install. New glass was nice too.

I had leaks in the corners but the squeak is what initiated the repair.

Thanks Dave! My windshield squeaks pulling out of the driveway and on just about every road imperfection. The kids like to joke that there are squirrels living in the Cruiser when we drive on the gravel roads in Uwharrie.
Have you checked the air box an vents to confirm you DON'T actually have squirrels?:hillbilly:

I read somewhere that the factory windshield is 6mm thick. Could that be the reason why it never get 100% right?

Auto Glass Now assured me that the replacement glass that they use exceeds factory specs for thickness in most cases. Auto Glass Now folks have also proven to me to be fertilizer salesmen with mouths full of samples, so who knows? After today's rain I think I can say that I'm pretty sure my glass is finally leak and squeak free. Only took four tries to finally get it right...

I'll find out more at my local AutoGlass Now in a couple days. They say the glass is coming from Migrant but they're a distributor. She said it's usually Pilkington. We'll see. Bronze tint is correct for my LX, and I'm glad that was available.
More important is the installation. The shop installers/managers seemed good when I was there with other cars. I'll show up with a new Toyota gasket and I'll have the FSM pages printed to go over the procedure before they start. Hoping it goes well.

Last edited:
I received a flier from 4 Wheel Parts about an upcoming sale on 3/10. When I called the sales rep was very helpful and took my order and mailed me a confirmation order with pricing. Before I left for the M&G I called and finalized the order. Once home I received the invoice and something just didn't seem to be right. The deal was buy 3 get 1 free at $239.99 each so the average price for 5 was $191.99 each. The final invoice was much higher, they raised the price of each tire by $36 and then gave a discount. Needless to say I am calling this afternoon to cancel the order and get a full refund.

They had a sale that ended yesterday.

Might be worth a shot playing nice and asking why and or if they could correct before abandoning the option.

Already sent an email with math asking why there was a difference. Just saw the raised price on their web site a few minutes ago. And, I ordered a Pro Comp lift kit and the u-bolts were dropped entirely.

ebay has a promotion going on until the 19th if you still want tires. its thru discount tire direct. you can save up to 200 bucks on 800 in purchase, no sales tax, free shipping. you just do your orders in pairs to double dip on the discount. I posted in the details in the for sale and tires section on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom