Tire Pressures - Falken Wildpeak A/T3W BK LT-C (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently replaced the air bag and stock suspension and got some new tires/rims on my 07 GX 470. Ended up with the Falken's, LT285/70R17

They've been riding great, but on a longer trip I realized they were looking a bit low, so I check and they were at 32 psi. I was thinking, not too bad.. so I check the tire itself. Rated for 50 psi.

After some research, I realize they have been under-inflated the entire time. The real question, for highway/city what would you keep them at? I've read some people say 45 in the front, 48 in the back, 45 all around. 42.. Same pressure front to back? Depending on load or trailer in the back? Would love to hear any ideas/opinions?

What's the floor on the low when you need more traction off road?

Thx!

An LT tire with a max rating of 50PSI (note, that is MAX pressure, not suggested pressure) is most likely a C-rated tire.
Your 32PSI is probably not far off from an ideal pressure.
Of course, Temperature, load, towing, driving mix ( all freeway?) enter into it, but on my heavy GX, with C-rated KO2’s, I keep pressures around 34-35 psi. that is for hwy/ freeway travel. If off-road for any length of time, I’ll go to 28 and then to 22.
Comfortable ride, even treadwear.
But as always, YMMV

I run 44psi all around and air down to 20-25 on trail. No issues with my AT3's. Ever. Love them.

The best ways to determine correct tire pressures are the chalk test (How To Find The Right Tire Pressure For Your 4x4 Using Chalk - The Dirt by 4WP - https://www.4wheelparts.com/the-dirt/how-to-find-the-right-tire-pressure-for-your-4x4-using-chalk/) or using a pyrometer. The correct tire pressure will use all of the tread evenly, keeping in mind that this is for primarily on-road use.

The correct off-road tire pressure depends on a lot of factors - terrain, weight, comfort, etc.
What a great article. I love that the two replies above had different answers.. just a testament to the different schools of thought out there. Looks like I have a project for the weekend. I'll report results and do the test for the front and rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom