Tippy is back…hopefully (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hoping to get back on the pig soon. Our family goes to GA to ride dirt bikes for thanksgiving so had to get all the dirt bikes ready. Also when it rains it pours with vehicles. Wife’s lx470 blew out a front cv axle, middle son’s cruiser has brake light warning light on and I got a couple of work trucks down. The youngest son gets his license this week so gotta get on the pig too…

EC1E8B2D-5D1E-40ED-9677-22EB08F7A926.jpeg

Thanks @bobm and @PabloCruise !

Vehicles are pretty overwhelming now. I really can’t stand anyone else working on my trucks. When I trust someone else to do it they always take 3-4 times longer than it should and of course costs 3-4 times as much and then never seem to get it right.

I’ve got a converted 4x4 over cab Isuzu with a blown front diff at the shop now. Was hoping that they could rebuild the front ring and pinion. Now they are saying the complete axle housing is shot because pinion bearing ate into the housing. So now we are getting a whole new complete axle shipped in. If I had known or done more investigating I could have jerked the axle out myself and put new one in without even fooling with the diff! So now paying the mechanic something I could have done. Trucks been down now over a month!

@YukonCruisers I thought about that too. It’s been a pretty good truck. However, it rides very rough. I’m going to try some new shocks possibly new springs but with the lift, leaf sprung and sitting right over the front axle. It’s rough. I’ve been on the interstate with it a couple of times and hit a dip and my head has almost hit the roof of the cab!

Alright got a little time on Tippy. Moved the radiator down 2.5”. I had to weld on some upper sheet metal on to make room for the upper bolts. Got the new fan in also.
4F2A0304-E900-4689-8FD7-8D599BBCCC2D.jpeg

Tried to get everything lined up for the radiator. Everything is pretty rusty and weak. I was lifting on fenders, pulling and hammering and got 5 of the 6 radiator bolts in. Still got to line up the upper driver’s side bolt. PO put this 1” square tube going from the front to the firewall. So I’ll re tack that in and hopefully it will strengthen it up some.
94115250-A15B-4DD5-A6DB-219E7FF40BE7.jpeg

Lastly got the grill sitting on and held on by 2 bolts. Again it doesn’t line up so it crooked right now and bugs me, and at least 2 or 3 bolts are broken off. So will see what I can do to get at least the grill straight and drill out the broken bolts. PO at some point spot welded the grill on. It’s nice to see it on after all these years even if it a little crooked. Grill on there makes it look tough! Also I keep reading over the thread about the seal kits that came from Australia and regretting I didn’t get in on that group buy.
F0628F06-77F0-436C-83EB-B7E14327B9BF.jpeg

We are headed out to CO tomorrow to do some skiing for our boys Christmas present so it will be a week at least before I can get back on the pig. Last time we drove out in our 2001 LX and hit Moab before hand and had a great time. Flights were pretty cheap this year and the oldest has to get back to college so I’m not getting to drive out this time which is a bummer for me. I enjoy the drive. Last time on the way back to Nashville I drove us straight in. 22 hours. We left the slopes at 4:00 am and got in at 2:00 am. Only stopping for food and gas. It was a fun trip.
88FE2109-14BB-417B-B4E5-209DE47ACFD7.jpeg

Tried to get everything lined up for the radiator. Everything is pretty rusty and weak. I was lifting on fenders, pulling and hammering and got 5 of the 6 radiator bolts in. Still got to line up the upper driver’s side bolt. PO put this 1” square tube going from the front to the firewall. So I’ll re tack that in and hopefully it will strengthen it up some.
View attachment 3520357
ENJOY that rocky mtn high!

Nice to see some progress ….. never did get to lowering that rad lol

The square tube was in place when I bought it but the grill was bolt on/off when I sold it.

My biggest sin was the addition of 40 hood latches when the ctr catch broke. Sorry bout that 😞

But I see that GM ambulance alternator and Stainless battery tray still Live on. Two of the first things I bought her and we’re always out of place as the two shiniest parts of that piggy.

@jfz80 Ha! I kinda like the 40 hood hooks! Seems fine for this trail truck and added peace of mind since the front seems slightly flimsy. I’m thinking everything will tighten up when I weld back in the support, and bolt in the cross piece of the original hood latch. Hopefully it’s not putting too much stress on the radiator. I don’t think it is now that I think about it, but time will tell.

Jason

What is the deal with the radiator not lining up and why is that piece of tubing there?
Is there something wrong with the mounting of the inner-fender/core-support assembly (some people call it the “doghouse”) , either on the firewall or out front on the frame? Is that upper bracket a homemade job also?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom