This is the plywood base that I placed under my second battery in a Hz76 wagon under the hood. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the plywood base that I placed under my second battery in a Hz76 wagon under the hood.
This battery is the same as the starter battery, a Willard (Sabat) low maintenance lead acid, and separated from the starter battery with a National Lunar solenoid system.
IMG_4694.jpg

All was OK, driving a fridge (50L weekender) in the back of the wagon, and some camp LED's and the odd mobile/tablet charge.
Contrary to popular belief, these batteries are not sealed and a very slight sweat was always present on the breathers of both batteries. The alternator delivers up to 14.2 Volts but normally settles in at between 13.85 and 14 volts with both batteries linked and the fridge connected.

I then went and added a Victron 75/15 BT controller with 2 by 120 watt panels on my roof top tent. I connect the solar panels when in camp or when traveling in the safari parks. The panels stay connected 24/7 while “Off road" could be for up to 2 weeks.

The system seemed to work very well, and I was proud of the fact that the voltage on the second battery was always high enough to keep the National Lunar solenoid from connecting the two batteries. There was a bit more battery sweat on the second battery, but I expected this as I expected a bit of overcharging due to the higher temperatures under the hood and that fact that I do not have a temp controller as part of the Victron system (YET).

So:
1.Can this overcharging cause such a heat build-up in the battery? Enough to burn to plywood base almost to the point of ignition, or is the battery stuffed.
2.Will the Victron temperature sensor cure this??
3. What battery temperature does the Victron assume if no sensor is connected?
4 is the temperature compensation below correct for a flooded lead acid battery?

I have attached the battery charging parameters on the controller and as they are settable, what should I adjust them to for this type of battery. To be honest, I don't remember being able to set the battery parameters on the earlier software, but I may be wrong. I remember having to choose the best battery fit from a list of Victron batteries.
IMG_4700.PNG
IMG_4701.PNG

In any case, the point of this scribble is to enable me to fault find the reason for this excessive heat from the battery and to cure it, and to share the experience with others who may inadvertently be cooking their batteries, and to establish charging parameters going forward.

I'm not convinced that is from the battery and more perhaps from it's location close to a heat source. Over time when near a heat source wood will char through a process called pyrolysis where you will get charring with no rapid oxidation (flame). What heat source is on the burnt side of the plywood?

hth's
gb

Umm, OK, so the exhaust is on the other side of the engine and under the battery is the left front wheel skin, so not sure what else could have fried it. Also no damage or discolouring to te battery bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom