Builds The YotaMD Build - Cypress (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's my ideal size!

Now the question is KO2 or Ridge Grappler?

*edit, didn't see the weight question. I think 28 lbs per wheel. They're heavy. Built for strength, not weight savings, haha.

I don't believe BFG makes a KO2 in that size.

I don't believe BFG makes a KO2 in that size.
I didn't either, but as of yesterday their site shows it as a size. I was leaning Ridge Grappler, largely because I wanted that size and I didn't think the KO2 did that. Now it looks like they do!

1607125801502.png

Reactions: GTV
Beadlocks?
No, sticking with a clean look. After research and much thought (and never having had a bead fail myself), I think it's really unlikely I'd ever really benefit from them. I'll always have the full size spare and it's rare these days (with 1, soon to be 2 little ones on board) that I'm really pushing it on difficult terrain for hours on end and 10psi in the tires. Our normal outings are moderate terrain with a trip short enough that nobody gets too cranky. That includes mom and dad, haha.

Braid does have this really neat DOT legal beadlock that just pinches down on the bead from the outside, without being a traditional beadlock with the sandwhich plate. I debated that, but ultimately the look is what really turned me off. The car already looks aggressive enough with the bumpers and big tires. I'm good without the beadlock look (real or not). :D

Discovered something bad and got a few other things done.

1. Flushed out another 2 liters of AHC fluid. 1 from the height control accumulator (~270mL at a time) and another 1 liter from a mix of all 5 bleed points. 5 liters total now. I plan to do another 3 liters or so once my shipment from McGeorge arrives with more fluid (only $17 each!) and new bleeders and caps. The fluid is better, but still not totally fresh. AHC flushes are sort of tough because so much of the fluid seems to mix when you cycle heights. Unlike brake bleeds where the fluid is relatively static in the system aside from your bleed strokes.

1609548471057.png

2. I installed 30mm rear Spring Spacers from Slee. AHC pressures in the rear went from 7 down to 5.7, but I also removed a drawer from the SS1 and the ARB fridge. Spec is 5.6-6.7 so I'm in great shape. I'll add back a new ARB hydraulic Jack and the Dissent door on the second swing arm so some of that weight change will be undone.

Front pressures are down to 6.2 or so. I can undo a turn or two on the torsion bars and be in good shape up front.
1609548740037.png

3. Also changed out the larger diameter power steering reservoir hose.
1609549356150.png

4. Discovered my rear pass axle seal is leaking. Oil residue on the backside of the brake shield. Looks like that's a big job that requires a press. I just sold my 12 ton, but looks like I'll be buying a new 20 ton (with pnuematic assist I hope) sooner than I thought.

After watching my coronapocalypse "happy place" video ( @Ramathorn15 's HIH 7 video) on YouTube, I went down the YouTube "rabbit hole" into your "Cypress" videos. I watched with amusement, because I've been going through a similar bushing replacement on our 250k mile 99 LX.

Brittany? Mine sports a similarly imperial countenance. Such awesome dogs (Nice rig too!)
Yes, Brittany! She's been to each HIH I've attended (4 now) and at almost 10 years old she's exactly as energetic now as she was at 2. Boundless energy and basically immune to any training if a bird or squirrel is in sight.

As we've added one (soon to be two) kids to the family she's getting less and less attention and she lets us know, haha.

Yes, Brittany! She's been to each HIH I've attended (4 now) and at almost 10 years old she's exactly as energetic now as she was at 2. Boundless energy and basically immune to any training if a bird or squirrel is in sight.

As we've added one (soon to be two) kids to the family she's getting less and less attention and she lets us know, haha.
Mine is 10 too and sounds like a similar temperament. A pathalogical hatred of squirrels included! He has been the perfect companion all these years to my kids. I expect/hope that will be the case for you too.

Discovered something bad and got a few other things done.

1. Flushed out another 2 liters of AHC fluid. 1 from the height control accumulator (~270mL at a time) and another 1 liter from a mix of all 5 bleed points. 5 liters total now. I plan to do another 3 liters or so once my shipment from McGeorge arrives with more fluid (only $17 each!) and new bleeders and caps. The fluid is better, but still not totally fresh. AHC flushes are sort of tough because so much of the fluid seems to mix when you cycle heights. Unlike brake bleeds where the fluid is relatively static in the system aside from your bleed strokes.

View attachment 2541618

2. I installed 30mm rear Spring Spacers from Slee. AHC pressures in the rear went from 7 down to 5.7, but I also removed a drawer from the SS1 and the ARB fridge. Spec is 5.6-6.7 so I'm in great shape. I'll add back a new ARB hydraulic Jack and the Dissent door on the second swing arm so some of that weight change will be undone.

Front pressures are down to 6.2 or so. I can undo a turn or two on the torsion bars and be in good shape up front.
View attachment 2541627

3. Also changed out the larger diameter power steering reservoir hose.
View attachment 2541640

4. Discovered my rear pass axle seal is leaking. Oil residue on the backside of the brake shield. Looks like that's a big job that requires a press. I just sold my 12 ton, but looks like I'll be buying a new 20 ton (with pnuematic assist I hope) sooner than I thought.
Hey there, what sort of change in ride did you notice after installing the spacers? Like you may have seen in the other thread, my rear pressures are sitting around 8 despite having replaced the springs with brand new oem ahc springs and I’m wondering if getting the rear pressures in spec would change the ride much? Also, what prompted your most recent fluid flush?

Hey there, what sort of change in ride did you notice after installing the spacers? Like you may have seen in the other thread, my rear pressures are sitting around 8 despite having replaced the springs with brand new oem ahc springs and I’m wondering if getting the rear pressures in spec would change the ride much? Also, what prompted your most recent fluid flush?
King springs brought my pressures into range initially, then as I added stuff I drifted back out. Spacers plus king now have me a little low, 5.2 if I remember right, and the ride is similar. Maybe a little worse.

My rig has never felt uncomfortable, even with 7.9 Mpa pressure, so I'm not sure when ride harshness is affected by over spec pressure.

Fluid flush was done because it had been about 40k since it was done. I would aim for 30k between changes max.

@suprarx7nut How was your Braid experience? I have reached out to them but haven't heard back.
It was very good. I spent significant amount of time on the phone with the US president. Pete, I think.

They make it to order, so lead time is significant, especially if you want the cheaper shipping option.

I expect you'll hear back soon. They were pretty prompt with me.

Just ordered all new control arms from Partsouq. And a new parking brake adjuster. $781 shipped for everything. Let's see how long it takes to arrive!
Front? Rear? Upper? Lower?
I was pretty amazed on my last partsouq order. Ordered on Saturday evening, arrived on Tuesday afternoon, but I suspect it wasn't actually shipped from UAE.

Front? Rear? Upper? Lower?
I was pretty amazed on my last partsouq order. Ordered on Saturday evening, arrived on Tuesday afternoon, but I suspect it wasn't actually shipped from UAE.
Oh sorry, all rear. Important detail haha.

My last partsouq order was very quick and did ship out of the UAE. Hoping this one is similar!

Partsouq order shipped from Dubai today after less than 24 business hours. Partsouq continuing to rock it when it comes to prompt fulfillment.

I'm excited to get all the arms in the rear replaced. I'll be checking front ball joints going forward and as soon as I see some play, I'll be getting all new OEM arms up front as well. Gotta eliminate all that old rubber!

Partsouq arrived! Ordered Thursday evening, delivered Tuesday morning.

Partsouq is looking like the Amazon of car parts. Setting the bar reeeeeal high for order fulfilment service. Get it together North American dealers! :D

Partsouq is weird.

Most consumables are really expensive (probably due to shipping), but the more complex parts are cheaper. For example the brake booster assembly is $1900, which is $300 cheaper than anywhere else, but brake rotors are like 2x the price of other places. I'm tempted to order a master cylinder from them before they run out...

Partsouq is weird.

Most consumables are really expensive (probably due to shipping), but the more complex parts are cheaper. For example the brake booster assembly is $1900, which is $300 cheaper than anywhere else, but brake rotors are like 2x the price of other places. I'm tempted to order a master cylinder from them before they run out...
Yeah, I've seen the same. Most items are cheaper, but I check all parts in two or three places. Slee/Cruiser outfitters, then partsouq/McGeorge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom