The Ultimate 80 Series Parts Discontinued Thread

This statement obviously shows you don't know Land Cruisers. I would HIGHLY recommend detailed research on both series platforms before making assumptions and judgements of this kind.
I know a fair amount about vehicles, and the landcruisers, but it’s clear that if a $3,000 vehicle requires a part that is $1,000, and another vehicle costs $10,000 for a part that is still in production (& far cheaper), that the newer one is going to be cheaper in maintenance/replacing parts in the long term. Unless the older model doesn’t cause any problems of course...

beno

Gihee Arakawa
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star

I know a fair amount about vehicles, and the landcruisers, but it’s clear that if a $3,000 vehicle requires a part that is $1,000, and another vehicle costs $10,000 for a part that is still in production (& far cheaper), that the newer one is going to be cheaper in maintenance/replacing parts in the long term. Unless the older model doesn’t cause any problems of course...

It would help to call it by it's correct name: "Land Cruiser"

CYKBC

SILVER Star
Speaking for myself and myself only, there isn't a truck <$100K I'd rather own than my 80 series. I did purchase on the upper price range and then some when you add in parts/labor, but I'm still way ahead had I gone for my next desirable option which was really an '18 200 series at the time of my 80 search.

Squirreling away a $500-700 Toyota MAF is a necessary luxury+ in my ownership equation. It's not as if I'll lose money on it if I never end up using it. I just hope I wasn't too slow on the trigger. :D

Glad this is a sticky. It's one of my favorite running threads here because it's so informative with a call-to-action in some cases.

Last edited:

iptman

Yeah but remember the 80 series Land Cruisers are ~$55k vehicles to Toyota not $3k vehicles. The secondary market for any manufacturer is completely irrelevant when it comes to OEM parts prices. Which is why there is an aftermarket for people who consider their 80s $3000 vehicles.

Also, comparing any other vehicle to an 80 series is like comparing an apple to the sweetest orange on the planet which when consumed no other fruit will ever be as satisfying.

bugsnbikes

SILVER Star

Also remeber that in 2019 terms our 1995 Landcruisers are 64.77% (adjusted inflation) higher or were equivalent to $90,623.50 .

for the Fram filter buying person looking for a part for their $3000 used 80.......there will always be a pic n pull if fhey dont want to shell out the coin for oem new parts.

It's interesting to compare how Partsouq appears to work and how Amayama appears to work - both really big players in the new old-stock Japanese OEM marketplace, but both appear to access totally difference stockpiles of parts as sometimes one supplier has, or one has it, or none have it. Partsouq's inventory quoting is 'live' for the most part. Amayama normally never gives a 'live' availability report (but sometimes it does). There might be other places that do new oldstock Jap vehicle parts but I haven't discovered them yet. ;)

Being in Oz, and a RHD country, the parts inventories of anything RHD-specific (or more rarely, Oz market specific) is a lot harder to pin down, but I get the feeling through changes Amayama have made that much RHD/Oz specific 80 series stuff is being stocked more likely here in Australia. Amayama now blocks reporting price/availability for parts out of UAE and Japan for Australian customers. Partsouq I think is exclusively UAE-based.

Toyota used to have (might still have) a huge multi-hectare parts warehouse in a part of Sydney where I once lived. Now that Toyota no longer actually manufactures vehicles here, the supply chain setup has probably changed. Ah Toyota does indeed have that warehouse - it's the Australian national parts centre. There's also a new parts warehouse in Western Sydney that could be mainly for bleeding edge new models. That's just a guess. But it's not a guess that our 80's and LX450's are, umm, not new models. ;)

Like with all older vehicles, a lot of new oldstock parts inventory is not in OEM warehouses or warehouses of 'aggregators' such as the Amayama's and Partsouq's of the automotive business. But there's almost no way to inventory/catalog what is not held by OEM or OEM affiliate aggregators.

The stickers that Amayama in particular use for picked parts (especially for parts out of Japan) contain a lot of information but what we never find out is when parts were manufactured. There are quite possibly some parts in stock that are very old (way older than for 80's) that Toyota (and aggregators) can still supply.

The other thing we never find out is how often re-runs of parts manufacturing is done. This will all be part of the 'process' aka the 'Toyota Way'.

Remember too that the 'cost' of every single individual part if possible to inventory it that way would come to a total summed price probably 10 to 100 x what the vehicle cost to purchase, because economics of mass-production mean that a bolt that might sell for $10 as a new spare part bought by itself could have had a 'cost item' price (if the data was available to work it out) of $1 because enough parts were ordered for a projected length of production and the remainder to support a standard 10 year parts base would have also been ordered and that is probably what we access when buying through Amayama, etc.

So if my base model diesel 80 was sold for A$50k in 1992, a guess at the actual cost for Toyota to make the vehicle would be around A$10 to 20k in 1992, but if all the parts were individual price-coded and the cost of the vehicle ex-manufacturer was worked out that way it might shock all of us. At the end of the day, no vehicle maker goes into production intending to make a financial loss, so for the manufacturers to make profits, the 'losses' must be incurred by the customers (end-users mostly). All the economies of scale in manufacturing get 'paid for' by someone, somewhere.

Last edited:

projectcruiser

Supporting Vendor

beno

Gihee Arakawa
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star

I prefer this thread to not be about where to buy your junk. Everyone has their own pimp. And like all pimps, no one cares because the outcome is the same.

I want this to be a factual thread about what is available from Toyota--whom are, in the end, the arbiters of all new OEM Toyota parts.

Thank you.

I figured it was time to start this thread since there are threads like this in the older Land Cruiser series iterations.

While the other threads reflect parts that are still available, I would like this thread to reflect parts that are no longer available from Toyota in the North American market (which means that folks like CDan, Sam Stewart and myself cannot get them).

This is not to say they are not available in other markets through Toyota pipelines or consolidators like www.amayama.com or MUD members "Akella" or David Stedman (Japan4x4)... Or that they are not available in some aftermarket iteration.

Consider that the first 80 series with the 3F-E engine and A440F transmission is now 23 years old. Consider that the first 80 series with the 1FZ-FE engine and A442F transmission is now 21 years old.

Consider also that while 80 series sales ended in the US in 12/1997, it continued sale and production in Venezuela until almost 2007 (these were basically kits put together by Toyota Venezuela using almost all Japan-sourced parts).

Consider also that the 1FZ-FE engine in some form or another also continued production until about 2007 in other world markets in 7x iterations.

In any event, I think this thread will prove useful for those folks trying to keep OEM parts on their vehicle and will be a good resource for folks trying to find suppliers for their parts.

Regards.
-onur
So here is a random one - are the early fj80 front (lower dash mounted) speaker covers NLA? The mesh covering one of mine is in poor shape. Thanks!

beno

Gihee Arakawa
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star

And finally, it has happened. Sad day.

A343F transmissions for the 1FZ powered 80 series trucks are now officially discontinued.

This means there are no more automatic transmissions available from Toyota for the 1FZ powered 80 series truck.

35010-60541-84: DISCONTINUED

Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 13.24.57.png

iptman

Damn... I hope I don't regret swapping in a low mileage trans last year vs buying a remanned. Def a sad day.

Bludozer

SILVER Star
And finally, it has happened. Sad day.

A343F transmissions for the 1FZ powered 80 series trucks are now officially discontinued.

This means there are no more automatic transmissions available from Toyota for the 1FZ powered 80 series truck.

35010-60541-84: DISCONTINUED

View attachment 1928773
Damn that is a bummer. No new ones left kicking around on a shelf somewhere?

Top Bottom