tank restoration... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looks like there won't be any riding for the next week or so, because of snow and ice everywhere.

So I decided to reline my tank. I washed it out with water and detergent, than 100% acetone, then a few more rinses with water/soap ratios. Check out all the crap that came out!

It's soaking today and tomorrow with the Kreem "tank prep A" solution and water. We'll see how well that strips the rust and etches the metal. I'll do the rest of the stages over the next couple of days.

The present colour doesn't match the model, anyway (it's a Bonneville paint scheme, but my bike is a Trident). I was going to change colour later this year anyway, but I guess now is as good a time as ever!

I can't afford to have a shop paint the tank right now, and I don't have a sprayer or a booth. I'm going to rattle-can the primer and either hit it with a matte black with a gloss clear coat, or go with a single stage gloss black. I would rather have it done professionally, but if I screw it up I can always sand it down and start again.

In the meantime I will be hand-painting the white portion of the metal tank emblems; the enamel has partially flaked-off over the past 39 years!

Any painting tips from fellow cheapskates? :grinpimp:
102_9997.jpg
102_9998.jpg

Toss some nuts and bolts in with your tank cleaner stuff and shake till your arms fall off.

I did that, too. The stuff in the photo was only from the first "shake session". I did it six more times until there was nothing left to fall out. The first three shakes provided about the same amount of crap, then it started to get less junky.

I had to stop, eventually, because my arms fell off.

in the bathtub no less...

like the time the ol' lady found the xt600 crankcase halves in the oven, that went over like a lead fart...

in the bathtub no less...

like the time the ol' lady found the xt600 crankcase halves in the oven, that went over like a lead fart...

:lol: Yeah, I'm single and I rent.

I've used POR-15 kits on two tanks, I liked it, but you have to follow the instructions to the letter.

When it comes time to put in the final coat of magic stuff, make sure it is completely clean and dry. To do this, after the rinse stage, put the tank in the oven at 250 for half an hour or so. :hillbilly: You will be surprised--it will bake off all the water, but also you will get some fuel smell from all the crap that has been in/spilled on that tank.

For painting, I've only done touch-up. Get primer and top coat from the same maker, make sure they work together well, and be careful in your prep. I think a rattle-canned tank looks fine on an old bike, but I don't do total restos, I just ride. :D

I used the Kreem three-stage kit for the liner, but started with 1.5 gallons of undiluted acetone to remove the remnants of the old liner.

Then a thorough rinse.

The Kreem kit comes with a bottle of phosphoric acid that neutralizes rust and etches the metal. Then once I did two cycles with that (added to 2.5 gals of water as per the instructions), another thorough rinse.

There s a small bottle of prep which goes and and displaces the water. I also left it on my gas range to let the mild heat of the range evaporate any water that was left.

Final stage is the tank liner. It went on really easy, but hoooo-boy the stench!!

Bottom line is that three days of careful following of directions and the inside is done. Looks good, too.

Next is the exterior painting. I sanded it all down, and a buddy is going to glass bead it for me in his shop. I think I'm going t go with CIL primer and paint, all from the good ol' rattle-cans.

Details to follow....

Last edited:
You didn't have it out today, did you?

Nope. My weekends are owned by the Army for the forseeable future. Besides, the tank is curing. I figure I can put it on later tomorrow, and be out on Wednesday, weather-permitting. We should go for a ride!

You might as well use your bathroom as a paint booth and the oven to dry the paint.:hillbilly:

You might as well use your bathroom as a paint booth and the oven to dry the paint.:hillbilly:

I can't because I'm using the oven to make meth :hillbilly:

I think it turned out really well...
stuff march 2011.jpg
stuff march 2011 008.jpg

Nice. What kind of paint did you end up using?

CIL single stage. I think it's polyurethane-based. I don't have any cans left but if it's detailed on the receipt I'll post up. It's a 5' job, for sure. Not going to win any concours events, but on the whole it turned out pretty good, I think. :cool:

:hmm:

My CL350 tank has nicked paint and other blemishes. The inside has been done, and I've said that all I should do is clear-coat the outside, but I have to say this thread is giving me second thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom