Switchable 12V power to cargo area - GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to run a dedicated 12 volt line to the back of my GX470. I'd put a small fuse panel back there to power a pair of 12 volt sockets and a pair of USB outlets. I was thinking of making this switchable from the front, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that.

Is it "as simple as" adding a relay in between? Battery power to relay via fuse, relay back to cargo area and a switch wired to the relay?

If you want to switch it from the drivers seat you will most likely need a on/off switch and relay. Toyota will sometimes do this on the supply to an inverter in the back.

The more common aftermarket way to do it is to add a push to trip circuit breaker near your starter battery, such as one of these:

No harm in leaving it energized all the time. For extended non-op periods, just open the breaker manually.

if you want to have full manual control, then sure you can put in a switch and a relay of appropriate sizes. If OTOH you want the rear subpanel to be live only when the key is on, say, you may want to check and see if you have already some wire going to the back that is pegged to the key cuz you could then use that to activate the relay without having to lay as much new wire. I think I used power to the trailer plug or something like that to activate a relay (for something else, but same idea).
You may want to put the fuse close to the battery.
If I were to wire something like that today, I would look into a radio remote controlled switch (or even relay), much less wiring to worry about.

If you want to switch it from the drivers seat you will most likely need a on/off switch and relay. Toyota will sometimes do this on the supply to an inverter in the back.

The more common aftermarket way to do it is to add a push to trip circuit breaker near your starter battery, such as one of these:

No harm in leaving it energized all the time. For extended non-op periods, just open the breaker manually.
Yes, my factory 100 watt inverter is via a switch on the driver side left knee panel. It is tied to the ignition as well. I was thinking of basically doing the same, but it could be constant on if I wanted. It is primarily to power my fridge and some LED rope lights; maybe top off my Flexopower as well.

I hadn't thought of that circuit breaker; it is an interesting idea if I didn't want to run a switch.

Why complicate things with a switch ?
See this is what I'm thinking about also. If I want it constant hot then the switch just complicates things. But if I notice my battery draining while driving, the switch does give me the option to kill the draw at the back. That is really the only reason I can think to put in a switch. (and because I have an open switch spot!)

See this is what I'm thinking about also. If I want it constant hot then the switch just complicates things. But if I notice my battery draining while driving, the switch does give me the option to kill the draw at the back. That is really the only reason I can think to put in a switch. (and because I have an open switch spot!)
If there nothing drawing on the circuit then battery can't drain.

There isn't already a socket in the rear?
You could pick off the socket for the second row passengers, run under carpet and terminate to a socket in the rear quarter panel.
Then pick off that socket to run the USB port you have in mind.
All of these being current-limited by the fuse in the box for the second row socket minus ~10% voltage loss.

There isn't already a socket in the rear?
You could pick off the socket for the second row passengers, run under carpet and terminate to a socket in the rear quarter panel.
Then pick off that socket to run the USB port you have in mind.
All of these being current-limited by the fuse in the box for the second row socket minus ~10% voltage loss.
Only a single 110v outlet.

Copy that.
Yeah run separate circuit with fusing.
Suggest a dash-switched relay with an amperage limit for circuit control, albeit a PITA sometimes to install.

Just set mine up to cargo area with 10g awg wire direct from battery to blue sea 15a switch/ breaker panel with 12v plugs and usb ports. Switchable but as of now only from cargo area. It would be reasonably simple to relocate the blue sea switch breaker by itself to the front of the cab if wired direct from battery.

Just set mine up to cargo area with 10g awg wire direct from battery to blue sea 15a switch/ breaker panel with 12v plugs and usb ports. Switchable but as of now only from cargo area. It would be reasonably simple to relocate the blue sea switch breaker by itself to the front of the cab if wired direct from battery.

I’m late on updating. I’ll try to get some pics loaded later.

Something like this?

I run one of these switchable Blue Sea Panels (4366) in the back of my 4Runner. I'm about to put one in my FJ40 as well. Run a power wire with an in line fuse (15 amp), ground, and you're done.

Blue Sea 4366

They make a few different versions. The 4366 version has a voltmeter, dual USB ports, 12V socket, and a 15amp breaker switch.

CED4B06F-CC12-4322-B3DC-556CB159C31C.jpeg

late lol
Copy that. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom