Sunroof haters please read ! (delete sunroof) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, has anybody thought of permanently removing the sunroof ?

Then please chime in ! if not, please I don't want to debate why I want it gone. Haters are welcome :flipoff2::flipoff2:

I am thinking of just having a shop weld sheet metal to cover the opening. I am not looking for perfection on the body line, just good solid work

Then, somehow the headliner needs to be trimmed and redone to now be flat and closer to the roof... is there somebody that does this kind of work ? would that be something hard to do ? I have no idea…

Thoughts ???

Well your leaks would stop! I have a huge roof top tent that prevents any rain from entering through the sunroof. :)

Mine has been welded in and I have no issues. It was a rollover repair, and the delete was much easier than trying to repair the sunroof and hope it didn't leak. I didn't concentrate too much on perfection of the body work because I just sprayed it with liner. From the outside, you can't tell it ever had a sunroof. As for the headliner, I haven't touched it - it still works as factory, it just opens up to a blank steel panel. I would like to either figure out how to use it to store maps and such without them sliding back into the headliner, or to modify/replace it to gain some headroom. I can't imagine the latter is cheap or easy, but I'd like to hear what others have done.

I am 6' 4" and modifying the headliner to gain that additional headroom space is important to me . Thanks for the replays !

@scottryana let us know what you learn on Thursday . Thanks !!

@toyofan I just talked to the custom hot rod shop. They were totally onboard with removing the sunroof and welding up the hole in the roof. Price was very reasonable considering BUT they said they really wouldn't want to mess with reworking the headliner. The said with all the contours of the headliner and the fact that it was some type of hardboard or fiberglass that to do it would be a big job. They did give me the names of some interior shops that might be willing to do it, but I did not go talk to them. I think I will probably have this shop go ahead and weld up the hole and I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Interested in hearing what the body experts think on reinforcement of a piece of sheet metal welded into the hole, is any bracing required?? IDK.

So, has anybody thought of permanently removing the sunroof ?

Then please chime in ! if not, please I don't want to debate why I want it gone. Haters are welcome :flipoff2::flipoff2:

I am thinking of just having a shop weld sheet metal to cover the opening. I am not looking for perfection on the body line, just good solid work

Then, somehow the headliner needs to be trimmed and redone to now be flat and closer to the roof... is there somebody that does this kind of work ? would that be something hard to do ? I have no idea…

Thoughts ???

A friend of mine bought a brand new Nissan Altima hybrid without a sunroof, on purpose. Having had the worst kind of skin cancer previously she avoids going in the sun. But then without ordering a sunroof it didn't have power seats, which she wanted. So the dealer told her to bring it to the shop that does their seats and sunroofs to have power seats installed, which she did. When she went to pick up the car guess what it had? That's right, power seats, and a sunroof! It didn't cost her anything but the damn thing has been leaking into the car ever since.

I just sealed mine shut and leave the cover closed... whats the reason in complete removal and weld? Cleaner overall look I guess?

personally the advantages I see are:

- No potential for leaks (both water and noise air)
- Gain extra head room
- Weight removal
- ability to add center roof console
- Eliminate all kind of rattling noises (PLEASSSEEEEEE !!!)

@scottryana Thanks for the feedback ! I know of a guy that works on headliner around here that I need to check with. I wonder how difficult it would be to find an OEM non-sunroof headliner, and even if I did, would it fit ?

Thanks !

personally the advantages I see are:

- No potential for leaks (both water and noise air)
- Gain extra head room
- Weight removal
- ability to add center roof console
- Eliminate all kind of rattling noises (PLEASSSEEEEEE !!!)

@scottryana Thanks for the feedback ! I know of a guy that works on headliner around here that I need to check with. I wonder how difficult it would be to find an OEM non-sunroof headliner, and even if I did, would it fit ?

Thanks !
amen on those rattles. I want mine gone too but not bad enough to bring it to the top of the pile.

I am thankful every day that I couldn't afford the sunroof (or roof rack or running boards) when I ordered my 1992 twenty three years ago. I love having the extra ceiling space, no leaks, and no rattles.

Do it. Weld that sucker closed. Pull the headliner. Go to an interior shop and have them make you a new headliner. Never look back!

@Delancy give me a ballpark on the liner?

If memory serves, the headliner was $1,200.00 sitting on a dock at dealer.

Wouldn't waste time with the insulation pads, but may need an additional cross bar. Could probably use the one directly aft the sunroof from a donor.

Would want to check the A & B pillar covers for compatibility between the two. Seems they may be different, but won't swear by.

Can always cure all ails, fix your roof and headliner the right way.....and cut me a check for $20k.

image.jpg

I'll throw in NIB complete carpet, to boot. ;)

I have mine out right now, I've uses an English wheel to set the right compound radius in a piece of 18 ga cold rolled steel.
Now the tricky part........I'm gluing it to the top with a 1" lap using auto body structural adhesive!
There will still be plenty of room to feather the edges with filler and repaint it. It was suggested to not paint it a dark color due to the heat causing the area to show up later from movement, but since it's going to be desert tan I'm not worried.
On the headliner mine is a 93 so it has cloth and wire bows, I'll be adding one bow and a Tahoe overhead console.
I'll post up pics once summer is over and I cam move on to inside projects.

I can see if I can source these down in Colombia, as there were 80's without a sunroof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom