Stupid Mistake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I began my first knuckle rebuild today on my 83 60, and I got off to a bad start. I couldn't tell which bolts held the caliper on, and I loosened the wrong ones. As soon as brake fluid started dripping out, I new I made a mistake and tightened them back up. Then I read in the FSM where it cautioned against loosening the bolts that hold the calipers together. So did I cause any harm the caliper?

Other than that everything went pretty smooth. I followed the tech note from birfield.com which is really excellent. It took me a less then 2 hours to get one axle out.

This is a great board with an incredible amount of information, civility and humor.

Just a guess but I think all you would have to do is get the air out the system.
I took the wrong bolt out once and had no problem but I didn't loose brake fluid.
You may as well blead all the brakes as its good to get the old fluid out the lines every year or so.

same thing happened to me when I was trying to remove the caliper. I bled the brakes and haven't had a problem

If it leaks, you'll have to replace o-rings which may be hard to find.

Tinker said:
If it leaks, you'll have to replace o-rings which may be hard to find.
Are these o-rings sandwiched between he halves? I assume they're not the ones that come with a rebuild kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom