Stripped a bolt on the hub! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was in a hurry (see: being careless) and stripped a nut or bolt on the hub. Should I bite the bullet and buy a hub now or do you think it would be lossy to wait until the next time I take it apart for another brake job or something? It's stripped pretty good and won't tighten or loosen with a wrench.

Ummm...did you strip the stud where it threads into the hub, or just the stud where the nut threads on?

It's either the stud on the hub or the nut - not sure which. I decided to just leave it alone for now because the shop was closing and the truck was my only way back home.

Here's a pic of it:

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 8.12.56 PM.png

Last edited:
I didn't think I could replace the stud on the axle hub without replacing the hub. Anyone have a part number?

Part number for a stud and nut? Just go to Toyota I think it's 8mm stud

Cool - I'll head over in the morning. I need some new locking nuts and washers anyway.

It is a special stud with the correct diameter for the cone washer. In toyota's parts system it is only used for hub drive flanges/selectable hubs.

stud: 90116-08325
nut: 90170-08204
washer: 90201-08042
cone washer: 42323-60010

It is a special stud with the correct diameter for the cone washer. In toyota's parts system it is only used for hub drive flanges/selectable hubs.

stud: 90116-08325
nut: 90170-08204
washer: 90201-08042
cone washer: 42323-60010

Thank you!!

You can double nut the stud, and you should be able to back out the stripped stud from the hub.

or vice grips will do it.

You can double nut the stud, and you should be able to back out the stripped stud from the hub.

Pretty sure his won't have usable threads for the double nut method.

I used a very small pipe wrench.. the hub studs have a pretty substantial non-threaded shank where the cone washers grip and this spot is great for that or vice grips.

What usually happens when those strip out is that the threads on the inside of the nut disintegrate and the nut just spins freely on the stud, but can't be pulled off. The best way I have found to remove it is to weld the end of the nut to the stud. Then use a wrench to loosen the nut and the whole stud will back out of the hub.

What usually happens when those strip out is that the threads on the inside of the nut disintegrate and the nut just spins freely on the stud, but can't be pulled off. The best way I have found to remove it is to weld the end of the nut to the stud. Then use a wrench to loosen the nut and the whole stud will back out of the hub.

If a welder is handy, that is the quickest way.

I replaced mine without removing the flange. They were brand new. I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut a groove into the stud for a large screwdriver. Small wrench on the square shaft of the screw driver if you need a bit of leverage. I replaced the 5 stripped studs in under an hour.

Another option, goes very quick if you have an impact wrench:

Stud puller set DSC00211.JPG
Stud puller detail DSC00218.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom