Storage system recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Building a house in Bay County Fl, on the bay - saltwater, garage underneath house will be in flood zone.

Not sure I want or should get steel storage/workbench due to rusting, corrosion.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks

I would think deciding to live in a place like that you'd accept that you're going to be replacing anything steel or aluminum every few years.

For a workbench, you could do concrete or one of the synthetic countertops.

I am also building in that area. I have requested during construction of the garage area for any of the scrap wood to be used as a work bench/counter along the outside wall, along with remaining concrete from floors and driveway to be used for countertops as mentioned above. Local Panama City shop floor company quoted me between $35-55 hundred bucks to epoxy/seal/treat concrete everywhere afterwards. I think its a bit high but might be a better long term move to have all concrete treated prior to the next flooding event. I am curious of your decision as things progress. I have the feeling my build will be in the "years" range and cost three times as much if recent history is any indication of the future. So, I will remain open to any better ideas down the road.

I would think deciding to live in a place like that you'd accept that you're going to be replacing anything steel or aluminum every few years.

For a workbench, you could do concrete or one of the synthetic countertops.
I’m sure the craftsman or similar painted garage systems work well, and wouldn’t just rust away that quick.

Concern is more the occasional tropical storm and a foot or two of saltwater under the house. That would definitely accelerate rust. My storage will all be elevated above flood zone, but think a plastic storage would work best, can be hosed out after.

Just don’t know of any good brands or options?

I am also building in that area. I have requested during construction of the garage area for any of the scrap wood to be used as a work bench/counter along the outside wall, along with remaining concrete from floors and driveway to be used for countertops as mentioned above. Local Panama City shop floor company quoted me between $35-55 hundred bucks to epoxy/seal/treat concrete everywhere afterwards. I think its a bit high but might be a better long term move to have all concrete treated prior to the next flooding event. I am curious of your decision as things progress. I have the feeling my build will be in the "years" range and cost three times as much if recent history is any indication of the future. So, I will remain open to any better ideas down the road.
I’ll keep this thread open as we go. Hoping to start concrete very soon and be done by fall! My apartment garage is filling up with lights, sinks and plumbing fixtures….

Just to throw this in the mix. I believe some of these types are treated and warrantied depending on the manufacturer. I know this is what is used here locally at the typical shop or warehouses. I just happen to have a couple in storage I may bring in and use to relocate my piles of "that part I have moved to two states and I will never use but desperately cling to because in fantasy land where project cars are completed, I might use it".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom