Steel 16X7 spare, 16 hole 18 hole difference? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read through postings and threads, can't find a definitive answer. Some I read have run these both on the 80 series. Some said that one didn't work over the other on a Tacoma.

I am putting together a set of 16" steel wheels from Toyota spares to run as a set on my 80 series. I have 2 wheels with 18 holes, 16x7 that came from 4Runners. There is a nice wheel with tire that has never been used that popped up local for $30. It is a 16 hole, one being an oval hole. 16 inch wheel. These maybe come off Tacomas and Tundras?

Is there any difference in offset or hub mounting in these wheels? Both are same 6 lug pattern and size and both come from Toyota as spares.

This thread had some great information on the 16 hole wheels. El Duderino's 1994 FZJ80 - The Crusher

Is there a thread or website I am missing in my search that shows the specs of these steel spares? Or basically just if the 18 hole and 16 hole are the same as far as offset and fit.

Thanks for any help and guidance.

Below is the 16 hole I am looking at.

steelie.jpg

The pictured assembly is definitely from a Tacoma (I can tell from the wheel and tire both). The 16" Tacoma spares have that oval window by the rubber valve stem due to the way the spare is mounted on the truck...so you can check the air pressure without having to drop the spare.

The pictured assembly is definitely from a Tacoma (I can tell from the wheel and tire both). The 16" Tacoma spares have that oval window by the rubber valve stem due to the way the spare is mounted on the truck...so you can check the air pressure without having to drop the spare.

Ah, interesting. I was wondering why the ovals. Now I know. I noticed they were by the valve stems but didn't know why.

Nice option to have if you keep the spare up under in the stock location.

Last edited:
Researching the same thing. My 03 taco with 16" wheels does not have the oval hole in the spare. I was told the oval hole is from a 05 or later. I was also told that the offset is different from 1st gen to 2nd/3rd gen but I have not verified.

That is correct. It will be 2005 and on when the 42601-AD030 16" spare wheel was being used in production which is the wheel that has that oval opening. It is still being used.

Ok I have a 05+ 16" Tacoma spare here and if I'm measuring correctly its 1 3/16" positive offset and 5 1/4" backspacing. My 03 Taco and the ground are wet so I'll measure that later.

Yeah I think measured the rim width incorrectly. Thanks for the correction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom