smoking under load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

B

burger

I am really new to the diesel world and have a question. I have a 12h-t motor and under heavy load ???or flooring the gas I get smoke. Now I know lots of diesels smoke but I want to know what to look for or check so that I know that there is nothing serious. It is not alot of smoke and is not totally black but I am just wondering. Thanks guys for the input.

Black smoke is a sign of incomplete combustion...

Usually it means overfueling is occuring. Black smoke, even a little is not good under steady state driving. You should see less smoke from the turbo'ed engine than a naturally aspirated engine though, as you're forcing air into the combustion chamber as you increase speed.

If you're concerned you could lean out the injection pump a little bit (1/4 or 1/2 turn at a time).

The only acceptable Smoke to see is avery little of white Smoke when you first turn the Engine over and a little bit of Grey Smoke under heavy Acceleration when the Engine is yet to get up to Operating Temperature. :cheers:

hmmm.. don't want to disagree, but a toyota mech i was working with last summer said that if you get absolutly no smoke under load and full throttle openings your too lean, and it can cause head probs, so can too rich.

that being said the amount of smoke is the key.

i say pawn it out to a professional, black smoke is a sign of incomplete combustion, so could be a little rich.

search google for "diesel smoke types" it'll basically explain what each colour means and how "bad" it is

My experience has been that Japanese diesel engines will smoke a bit under heavy load. As others have mentioned, the amount is the key. You said under heavy load not much, and not totally black. Without seeing it's hard to say, but does not sound serious to me, as it seems that under normal driving you see no smoke? Pretty much every 12HT I've seen under heavy load has smoked some. I would be tempted to do a couple quick oil changes (you just bought this HJ61, right?) and run a double dose of good fuel conditioner (Howes or Stanadyne) for a few tanks, then see where things are at. Run a fuel conditioner like mentioned every tank as well.

No expert, yada, yada, yada...

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom