Shifter Gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Josey1972

SILVER Star
Threads
It appears the gasket at the top of the W tranny where the shifter enters the housing is leaking quite a bit. Anyone know a part number or have one they’d sell me?

I have a sheet of gasket material.

Permatex the right stuff, best stuff ever.

Have you checked the tightness of the bolts? Mine have worked loose several times.

No. And the more I think about it I need to check the linkage. At 60 that shifter is shaking away. I’ll do that though. Thanks.

No linkage, bushing. Most likely worn.

Looks like I need to do a little homework.

No linkage, bushing. Most likely worn.

so the shifter assembly just turns and pulls off the two knobs. Install a new bushing and looks pretty easy. This reminds me of my 1995 3.slow that would pop out of gear and startle you. That must have been the issue. Imagine that. So, if you replace the bushing and the piece of plastic at the bottom and new gasket it should be golden. Looks fairly simple. Thanks

Don't get too ahead of yourself... Every time I get the sweet smell of gear oil in the cab and leak from the top of the case, I just need to tighten 4 screws.

Don't get too ahead of yourself... Every time I get the sweet smell of gear oil in the cab and leak from the top of the case, I just need to tighten 4 screws.
That would be the 4 screws on the plate that holds the shifter in. Actually that would be the 6 screws. They were a bit loose. I tightened them up and degreased the side of the tranny.

Last edited:
The bushing will fix a sloppy shifter.
Not the leaking part.
If you do both you may be golden.
John is speaking of a different type shifter.
Some are held down with a 4 bolt "cap" that the shift lever goes through. That is to what he is referring.

You have a 6 bolt "plate" on top of the trans, but a push and twist type release that let's the shifter come out.

I think.....

Screenshot_20190913-185647_Google.jpg
sorry a crappy screen shot .
This is the 4 bolt type.

Screenshot_20190913-185702_Google.jpg
this is push and twist type.

If you get to the top of the trans and the little rubber boot on the trans is square(4bolt), it takes red plastic race and standard bushing. Round (push & twist) boot takes white plastic race and standard bushing.

38418482-5FD8-43CD-8609-76AC5ACDC1CF.jpeg

The six 12mm bolts below were not very tight. I gave each one 10 uggaduggas. Just kidding. But I tighten them down. I think the shifter moves a lot at highway speed because of the truck. Everything shakes. It’s never popped out gear but I thought, as a preventative measure I’d go ahead and put a new bushing in since it’s cheap and easy.

Yeah, you can see the gasket sticking out at top right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom