September 17-18th: Kebler Pass - camping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Melissa and I are in!
Swapping air tanks this week so unless something doesn't go right, expect to be on this trip.

Looks like a 4hr ride out. What's the plan? Drive out early Sat morn, set up camp, then trail till dark?
Same in reverse on Sunday?

What's the plan? Drive out early Sat morn, set up camp, then trail till dark?
Preliminary discussion last month at the Leadville camp was drive Kebler on Saturday, set up camp, then on Sunday drive down to Marble, up Lead King, back track a short distance to the Crystal Mill, then drive up Schofield Pass (Devil's Punchbowl) and drive Paradise Divide back into Crested Butte. This would start us driving home in daylight.

There are several US Forest Service campgrounds we could choose, or camp dispersed along the northern half of Kebler Pass (I think there are suitable spots for 5-6 vehicles to camp in close proximity).

I was primarily looking at Bogan Flats Campground (off Hwy 133 on CR 3 before getting into Marble) but the USFS site shows all sites reserved on 17th. The next choice is Lost Lake Campground (this is near the spot we stopped for lunch last year). Lost Lake is "first come, first served" or doesn't make reservations. Even if we choose not to camp here, we should drive up the short road and see the lake! Grand Mesa Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests - Lost Lake Campground-Paonia RD - https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gmug/recarea/?recid=33778

When we finish Kebler Pass and hit pavement (Hwy 133), we turn right and there is a campground there--Spruce Campground. I need to research this one more unless you guys say "lets camp at Lost Lake" or "let's dispersed camp".

Last edited:
We're good with Spruce Campground, but ...
🤔 dispersed camping is fine too.

Best steak challenge?

Reactions: SAS
Tell me how this works, LOL.

Are you suggesting "no" to camping at Lost Lake CG? Or just stating preference of Spruce CG over Lost Lake CG? I'm reading "dispersed is preferred".
Just stating preference of Spruce over Lost Lake.
The steak thing was just a thinly-veiled ploy to try other good steak in the name of friendly competition.

Where do we meet in the morning and what time?
Both Vicki and I are looking forward to it.
Meet between 0800 and 0830 at the Alta Convenience Store in Crystola. We'll try to depart at 0830.

Bring what you need for touring and camping at high elevation (check weather for Crested Butte), I imagine it is going to be chilly overnight! Also remember spare parts and tools, plus recovery gear (traction boards, strap, shackle rings, etc.)

We'll use GMRS/FRS radios or HAM radios if we're all equipped.

Just got home (10pm), this was a great trip! Pictures and details on the way.

EDIT: @000doodie000 , @LandLocked93 and I met Saturday morning at the Alta in Crystola. We drove US 24 to Johnson Village and then Cottonwood Pass over to Almont Triangle and into Crested Butte. We drove Kebler Pass and found that the Aspen foliage is just starting to turn color in Crested Butte area.

Kebler Pass was pretty busy, lots of traffic relative to our last trip ( 2021). We drove up to Lost Lake Campground to check it out--I've never been up there. W,t e traveled to the north side, and camped at an undisclosed location.

Sunday morning, we drove down to Marble, then up Crystal Road to the junction with Lead King. We drove Lead King and decided to back-track to the Mill so @LandLocked93 could see it for the first time. While there, I saw a 91-94 Land Cruiser and walked over to talk to them (more detail later).

Then we drove back up Crystal Road, and right before we reached the eastern side of Lead King, LandLocked93 blew a sidewall. Bummer! We got the tire changed, and met a dozen peeps who had to wait since it was in the narrow section of the road. Onward up Schofield Pass!

More to follow

20220918_130938.jpg

20220918_130535.jpg

20220918_130154.jpg

Last edited:
Not I, my friend. 👍
I loaned mine to Chad last year in San Juan.

Can we get a witness he still had it this year? lol

Reactions: SAS
Just quickly back to the important bits, the star of the show...

20220918_103040.jpg

The expanse of the terrain was probably the greatest thing I took away from this trip.
Just gobs of space...
20220918_115536.jpg

20220918_121616.jpg

20220924_100553.jpg

Shirt by Hanes
Belt by 511
Jeans by Sportsman's Warehouse
Moist blanket by Percy lol
20220918_144941.jpg

And finally...
No Locker
20220918_160003.jpg