Senate Drops Language to Mandate Local Input on Forrest Service Road Closure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.pyleandassociates.net
Chairman Roberts’ Emergency Wildfire Legislation Approved by Senate Agriculture Committee
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Pat Roberts, R-Kan., Chairman of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry, today held a business meeting where emergency wildfire legislation was favorably reported out of the Committee with of vote of 11-9. The version passed did not include the orginal House section 802 stipulating local input on Forrest Service Road Closures.

The Emergency Wildfire and Forest Management Act is similar to H.R. 2647, the Resilient Federal Forests Act of 2015, which passed the House of Representatives and was referred to the Senate Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry Committee.

“This legislation is a product that not only addresses wildfire funding, but more importantly, together with my amendment, provides additional tools to address fundamental and systemic problems contributing to the degradation of our country’s public lands,” said Chairman Roberts.

“The funding fix before us today is substantively identical to what our Committee has been referred, and should be viewed as placeholder language for future discussions with other Committees of jurisdiction.”

To read the bill and to watch the hearing, click here.

The following is Chairman Roberts’ opening statement as prepared for delivery:

I call this meeting of the Senate Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry Committee to order.

I welcome my colleagues as we consider forestry legislation today that is in response to a dire situation: catastrophic wildfire.

Before I begin, members should be aware that, as is customary with business meetings, all members will have the opportunity to give opening remarks.

I also note that our committee rules require a reporting quorum to be present when voting on reporting out a measure. Out of respect for your demanding schedules, once we have reached a quorum I intend to ask members to hold their opening statements so that we may proceed to consideration of any amendments and the underlying amendment in the nature of a substitute to HR 2647.

Coming off yet another troubling wildfire season, today’s markup is timely and marks a critical moment for Congress, the Administration, and stakeholders to work towards a solution that addresses the wildfire issue at large.

HR 2647 is a product that not only addresses wildfire funding, but more importantly, together with my amendment, provides additional tools to address fundamental and systemic problems contributing to the degradation of our country’s public lands.

As I have said before, it is no secret that the wildfire issue is a complex and convoluted issue that involves several Committees of jurisdiction depending upon the particular policy proposal - specifically with regard to the Forest Service funding fix mechanism.

I understand there may be concerns from the “emergency first responders” community with the proposed funding fix in the substitute amendment and the impact it might have on federal disaster assistance programs with FEMA’s Disaster Relief Fund.

Let me state for the record that the language contained in the amendment before us is not intended to signal an endorsement nor a preference for a specific wildfire funding mechanism.

The funding fix before us today is substantively identical to what our Committee has been referred, and should be viewed as placeholder language for future discussions with other Committees of jurisdiction.

Simply put, the funding decision will be determined with the Committees of jurisdiction and at a later point.

Despite these complexities and nuances, the Senate Agriculture Committee has been referred the Resilient Federal Forests Act, which the House passed on a bipartisan basis in July last year.

This summer I formally introduced S. 3085, the Emergency Wildfire and Forest Management Act of 2016, which also was referred to the Senate Agriculture Committee.

Today’s meeting marks an important step in considering legislation through regular order.

The last time the Agriculture Committee considered a significant standalone piece of forestry legislation was notably the Healthy Forests Restoration Act 13 years ago, which moved through this Committee and ultimately became law.

Leading up to today’s markup, our Committee held a wildfire hearing last November where the testimony and message from a panel of stakeholder witnesses was clear and unanimous: Congress needs to address wildfire funding and federal land managers need the ability to actively manage forest landscapes to be more resilient to devastating wildfires.

This amendment to the House bill contains common sense policies that reduce administrative burdens to the U.S. Forest Service and provides greater efficiencies for collaborative forest management activities including:

• Promoting large-scale landscape forest management projects on National Forest System land;
  • Encouraging cross-boundary management of Federal, state, and private forested land;
  • Building off successful and bipartisan policies in the 2014 Farm Bill that provide the Forest Service with the necessary tools to promote collaborative and active forest management activities in response to catastrophic and emergency events; and
  • Finally, streamlining efficiencies for environmental review, analysis, and compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act.
As I mentioned earlier, this issue is complex but that is no reason for inaction. I remain committed to work with my colleagues here on the Agriculture Committee, other relevant Senate Committees, and the House to help get this across the finish line.

My goal has always been to ensure that the Senate Agriculture Committee is a platform for agriculture and rural America. Forestry, much like production agriculture, faces a variety of challenges on several fronts whether it be over regulation, frivolous litigation, or administrative obstacles stalling Federal agency action.

Today’s Committee action is intended to be a strong signal that our Committee will serve as a resource and ally to constructively tackle the broader wildfire debate.

I appreciate the support of those on the Committee who will join me by voting to approve this legislation and moving us closer toward finding a solution to address wildfire funding and forest management reform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom