Second row seat back arm rest detent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
@Fisher23 starting a new thread like we discussed on SQOD.

My second row center section arm rest seems to have a mind of it's own - it would flop down when braking or when raising the rear seats to a vertical position.

I didn't think my former '13 did this, but wasn't sure, and was questioning my memory, so I posted in the SQOD asking. Most people said their arm rests remained vertical when stowed. Fisher23 reported the same behavior that I observed.

So, I decided to tear into it. I think I've narrrowed the problem down to simple wear of a plastic part.
485870BA-7C4F-4EDB-991E-6F0DB35E55E6.jpeg

(edit) The friction of the lobed plastic bushing against a steel post holds the arm rest up.
34BDFCAF-0A7C-4FFD-B03B-EBE935B0A6B8.jpeg

This part is held in with a phillips headed bolt, and I've removed it. All of the wear seems to be on the removable plastic portion (makes sense since the other part is steel).

456A389C-9C85-45CC-9D81-928134ABA7F0.jpeg

Last edited:
Getting to the pivots requires complete disassembly of the seat down to the frame.
5850099C-0CB7-49A5-95C3-B9AA5A9C5423.jpeg

There are no complex parts controlling the arm rest remaining vertical. That metal arm attaches to the plastic arm that releases the seat back to enable pass through to the cargo area.
9F0E117D-8297-4A52-AB14-428E776E6570.jpeg

This cotter pin is all that holds the us driver side pivot in position. But, it is buried behind plastic panels.
2FA3477A-A8D5-4B09-8BF2-D377DDB24790.jpeg

This bolt is the fastener on the us passenger side. I used a T40, because my T45 wouldn't fit, but it was more like a T43... That cracked bushing was on the driver side and may have contributed to the floppy arm rest (reduced friction from slop).
3D66C2DA-5A77-4346-8959-4A401607BD71.jpeg

181C5D69-AEBE-4E75-845A-038FB7E18204.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the obviously worn part - it seems both worn and possibly compressed.
B261F94E-3E72-4C2A-AFBA-93FF3D4F8724.jpeg
73F3B798-5BA2-486D-9B55-80068718C965.jpeg
3A1AF473-1819-4631-91B7-AA67A33A120F.jpeg

Last edited:
Now to see if these parts are available as replacement parts. Anyone who has tips, or happens to know part numbers (long shot) for the worn part and cracked bushing please let me know. Thanks.

Can you see how it "locks" in place?

I wonder if that plastic part had some kind of lob (that is now missing) like a cam that held the seat up?
Was there a spring in there?

I would think that the lever to unlock that arm rest must push the cam/lob out of the cam-socket so it can then lower the arm rest?
Then it would slide until the cam-lob went back into the socket - if that makes sence?
Is that part plastic available .. or does one need to fix it with plastic weld?

The mechanism to hold the arm rest up is completely separate from the mechanism to hold the seat back latched vertically or release it.

The seat back lever has a spring loaded mechanism and internal mechanical latch.

(edited) The arm rest only seems to be held up by friction of that lobe against a steel post in the seat frame.

Yes, I think that worn plastic part had more of a pronounced lobe, like a cam.

I haven't been able to research the parts availability. I'll call the guys at Olathe parts tomorrow.

Last edited:
0C68DD41-23FD-4257-8BF1-EAC7C173DD5E.jpeg
I was wrong - the worn part rides against that welded metal post. It makes a lot more sense now.

So what I was told by a trusted parts department is:

Unfortunately, the center armrest does not have serviceable pivot/arms. If needing either or the bushings inside, the whole armrest would need replaced.

So does that plastic part have like a cam or lob that has worn down, and is that causing it to no longer lock in place?

If so can one drill and tap a hole, put a small bolt there to hold liquid weld in place to fix it?

Be a shame to take it all a part like that and not fix it.

Yes, it appears to have originally had a lobe like a cam.

I don't know what the correct shape should be, but yes, I suppose it could be built up.

I'd think the material would need to be somewhat pliable, so the arm can pivot through it but stiff enough that it prevents the arm from moving forward.

Maybe I could build it up with some 2-part urethane? I've used it to stiffen up motor mounts... Possibly drill some holes so it has something to key into...

If only I knew the right shape...

I suppose I could do some experimentation and see what works.

Yes, it would be a shame to disassemble it and not fix it.

Yes, it appears to have originally had a lobe like a cam.

I don't know what the correct shape should be, but yes, I suppose it could be built up.

I'd think the material would need to be somewhat pliable, so the arm can pivot through it but stiff enough that it prevents the arm from moving forward.

Maybe I could build it up with some 2-part urethane? I've used it to stiffen up motor mounts... Possibly drill some holes so it has something to key into...

If only I knew the right shape...

I suppose I could do some experimentation and see what works.

Yes, it would be a shame to disassemble it and not fix it.
I think I may have misunderstood your post in SQOD.
I thought your issues was that the armrest was flopping down with braking...

In that case I thought there was a spring mechanism controlling that.
From what I gather, your whole center seat is falling down.

Good luck with the fix and you've torn that apart a hell of a lot more than I would've had the balls to do!

Good luck with the fix and you've torn that apart a hell of a lot more than I would've had the balls to do!

FYI it is the arm rest.

Mine has the same problem.

For the arm rest to lower the owner must release it with that little lever, and without doing that the arm rest should lock in place.

No, your original understanding was correct.

The entire center section DOES NOT flop forward. There is a positively engaging mechanical lock with a strong spring preventing inadvertent release (must lift the handle).

Only the arm rest flops down.

Yeah, I might have regretted tearing into it at a certain point, but I felt committed to the surgery. :)

Oh, and I think the bushing at the driver side pivot that cracked might be a 90386-12005, although I can't get verification (no pictures online), but I may throw one into my next order to see. It is like a $2 part.

8B3D201D-3DB4-4FDB-90D5-F30082C3E978.jpeg
This may be a better view of the ramp/lobe. The other side is worn and compressed, but this side seems like it may be close to the original profile, with some minor compression on the left side of the picture where the holes are (allowing it to flex/compress by design?). It is actually a clever, painfully simple design. Maybe they didn't consider the MTBF of the rubber against steel, but other than that (and the idiotic fact that I can't buy a replacement) it is a smart design. I think it is the absolute fewest parts necessary to keep the arm rest stowed, and provide just enough resistance to avoid inadvertent deployment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom