Rust treatment / preventative for '73 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 1973 fj40 that we've taken down to the frame and are going to build back up. It still has the engine wiring harness etcetera still attached.

The frame is in really good shape, there is rust but nothing even remotely close to rusting through. for 1973 frame I would give it an 8 out of 10. We are planning on using a wire wheel to get it down to bare metal.

This is our first project of this magnitude and I've been doing some research on different product to put on the frame. Everything from POR 15, zero rust, Rust-Oleum, Eastwood's, etc.

We're going to try and get all of the rust off the frame but I know that is not 100% possible. I'd like to know what your recommendations are to kill any existing rust that we aren't able to get with a wire wheel and also prevent any future rust is there any products you recommend. I've not used any of the products listed above ever before.

Subscribing! Just wire wheeled my auxiliary fuel tank. A buddy told me to acid wash it then paint with a rust killer type paint. But I don’t know if I trust him. If I find sone answers I’ll update you.

Cleaned Chassis etched and solvent prepped and Por-15 and top coat
FF875E5E-A26C-4349-8A64-6B3487BDC387.jpeg

I'm a huge POR15 fan and have had really good success but you have to follow the instructions particularly prep to a "T" You'll have people who don't like POR15 but it works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom