Review: Android H/U with Climate Control (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning everyone! Longtime reader, first time poster. I recently acquired a 2009 gx470 with navigation. I was super excited to get one of the “Tesla” screens…until I got one and realized how horrible they were. More on that later. Bear with me as I’m writing this on my phone while I have some downtime at work. I’m sure I’ll forget a few things and I’m hoping some of you will ask questions that I can address in order to help out other navigation model owners!

After sending the Tesla unit back, I ordered this unit from Ekiy on Aliexpress. This unit works navigation model 470s.
Ekiy Android Radio

I had seen a YouTube video of a similar radio from T’eyes with a 9in android and the same style faceplate with climate controls. It looked pretty decent but I couldn’t find it anywhere so I took a chance on the Ekiy.

I did not take pics of the installation as it was very straightforward. The wiring harness is simple and all the plugs are unique so they can only go to one place. You do have to remove the clock from your factory unit and attach it to the Ekiy. After that, it all just clips in. It is slightly recessed vs the trim pieces it’s not terrible but it’s not perfectly flush I’m terrible with measurements so I’ll just say it’s about the depth of an average pocket knife blade thickness
2FA697EE-1E11-4AAC-A0E9-5B4EE732C771.jpeg
AD905211-5CD3-42B6-AD1F-0392DAC48FC8.jpeg
429E185F-8FBD-4574-9887-B876CB628C12.jpeg

a second package came later with the usb cables, free backup camera, and the rest of the wiring harness. The factory camera will NOT work with this head unit

booting was fast but for some reason I had no audio. I can’t really remember how I figured this out but there was an app labeled “Car UI.” I clicked on it first and within the app is a radio, CD player, and something else, I forget. I clicked on the CD player and hit and then I all of a sudden started getting sound. I have no idea why this occurs but I have to do it every time I turn the car on. I can only assume that somehow this triggers the car amp? I have waited several minutes without pressing anything to see if it was just a time thing…but it wasn’t. I have also pressed lots of other buttons to see if that got me audio…but it didn’t. So for some reason you have to hit the Car UI button and go from there. This has been confirmed with another Reddit user who bought one at the same time I did. There is a factory setting for the amp which I turned on but it appears to have no play in this situation.
Car UI video

***i now believe this to be a canbus issue that I am working on resolving with the seller***

after figuring that out, I was quite happy with the radio. Everything functions wonderfully, including wireless carplay. One of my issues with the Tesla unit was laggy carplay. This Ekiy unit takes a bit to connect but so far it has been 100% reliable. Don’t judge the music choice, I was on a 90s kick

4123A699-5F85-41D8-AC0A-A068AD512623.jpeg

I also removed my cigarette lighter and replaced with with a usb extension cable. The ports connected just fine to the USB ports included with the radio and appear to be functioning flawlessly.
Usb extension outlet

As mentioned in the nav to non nav swap thread, you will need two adapters to make your fm radio work.
Y adapter
Antenna adapter

climate control:
I’d say the climate controls function well enough that I would consider this a serious upgrade from the factory navigation despite the audio issue and what I’m about to tell/show you.

in order to get the climate control to work, you have to go into settings—factory—3368–car model—BNR—Toyota—prado—hi amp. Then a little snowflake will pop up on your screen. You can move it to wherever you want. That snowflake is how you access your temperature control and everything that you don’t control with the physical buttons. On that note, the physical buttons have a good tactile feeling and the words are backlit and properly spaced/level. That was another annoying thing about the Tesla, the buttons were all wonky and crooked.

the issue: the climate controls work great and have a clean UI. That being said, there is an issue with temperature adjustment. You have a full range of temperature selection but unfortunately it will only ever read “low” or “high.” Every time you press the button it most definitely changes the temperature a degree like it should, you just don’t get a specific degree reading. I don’t know why it does this or if it is 470/prado specific as I have seen similar radios with the same UI display degree changes (at least in Celsius). With all that said, I still feel like this is a major upgrade and a minor flaw that is easily overcome and barely annoying considering you’re adding carplay, Bluetooth, a large screen, and various other bonuses.
Temp control
Canbus settings

8E57D082-D566-4C7D-BE2A-94A19C572B4C.jpeg

As you can see in the above pic, there is a front mounted microphone. This is a standard 9in android head unit with a face plate over it so the mic is recessed behind the faceplate. As such it is essentially useless and you will need to add an aftermarket mic which is not included.

the aux port next to the seat heaters (at least on my 09) no longer functions either. As such, I replaced it with a USB port for power. this is a perfect fit and comes with the necessary connectors to attach it to the 12v outlet next to it.

USB port

also, I am having trouble with anything Google related…which is a lot since is an android device. Anytime I try to log in anywhere to any Google service (even the device settings, not just apps) I get the checking info loop crash. I have tried every fix I can find but unfortunately nothing has worked and I also don’t have access to everything because the OS/UI seems to hide some functions you need to access. So I have been unable to use the play store and instead have had to side load things. The factory installed UI is ok but Agama car launcher is WAY better.

Crash loop
***fixed with software update. see post below***

one of the reviews on the product page mentions having to remove two circuit boards from the factory radio. Also not sure what that’s about or if it was lost in translation.

I am more than happy to take pictures or videos of any specific things you request. There were a lot of things I wanted to see before I bought this but I just jumped in and went for it since there weren’t any US reviews. Hopefully this provides a good alternative for nav owners.

I have definitely lost my train of thought at this point so I’m gonna post and edit from a computer later. In conclusion, this is a worthy upgrade despite the few issues I noted.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Tesla. Has enough decent features and potential but it’s shrouded in clunky interfaces and stupid shortcomings that shouldn’t exist. If they had made this thing with physical temp buttons and fixed the temp issue it would be the end all for nav owner upgrade.

I had a Tesla in my 05 GX for about a year that I upgraded with aftermarket firmware and tweaked a lot and really got dialed in. Worked pretty seamlessly minus the crappy screen that was near unreadable in the sun. Then I finally found a set of non-nav controls on eBay. Way better now.

Also the factory cams can be integrated to these aftermarket units. It’s just not a fun process to do it. On the GX models with the television ECU you have to tap the video feed and convert to an RCA and grab a signal from the reverse trigger.

The ease of use, UI, non laggy carplay, etc make it far superior to the Tesla in my opinion. But yeah it has a few quite bearable bugs.

yeah, I should clarify- you can use the factory camera with a decent amount of effort. But as is out of the box you cannot.

I also found non nav climate controls, one of like 3 listings in the whole US and it happened to be in state as well so I jumped on it. All I’m going to do is pull the radio out of this faceplate and put it in an appropriate faceplate for the non nav cc and deactivate the on screen climate control. But I’d be perfectly happy and would even recommend this unit to others who haven’t been fortunate enough to find non nav cc.

Looks like a decent and inexpensive option. I'm reasonably happy with my PX6 Tesla, but will keep this in mind if/when it craps out. The bugs I have with the Tesla so far have been minor (track skip button does not work sometimes, and it asks me every time I start if Car Launcher should be the home app). I agree that the Tesla screen is not bright enough for sunglasses and direct sunlight.

That’s one huge positive about this unit. The screen is bright and clear and easily visible even with sunglasses.

Hi,
this is link they sent me. From the contents of the file, I assume it's a patch that only affects the google account.
Make sure it is compatible with your car stereo.
My car stereo is the JY-UQB09N4G-H.

Sergio
This update fixed my google issue. I went ahead and "rolled the dice" since it was for a different brand but it worked just fine. Unzip the downloaded folder to a flash drive and plug into you head unit. It will auto install. You do not have to unzip the file within.

***this post is quoted from XDA Developers forum***

Good morning everyone! Longtime reader, first time poster. I recently acquired a 2009 gx470 with navigation. I was super excited to get one of the “Tesla” screens…until I got one and realized how horrible they were. More on that later. Bear with me as I’m writing this on my phone while I have some downtime at work. I’m sure I’ll forget a few things and I’m hoping some of you will ask questions that I can address in order to help out other navigation model owners!

After sending the Tesla unit back, I ordered this unit from Ekiy on Aliexpress. This unit works navigation model 470s.
Ekiy Android Radio

I had seen a YouTube video of a similar radio from T’eyes with a 9in android and the same style faceplate with climate controls. It looked pretty decent but I couldn’t find it anywhere so I took a chance on the Ekiy.

I did not take pics of the installation as it was very straightforward. The wiring harness is simple and all the plugs are unique so they can only go to one place. You do have to remove the clock from your factory unit and attach it to the Ekiy. After that, it all just clips in. It is slightly recessed vs the trim pieces it’s not terrible but it’s not perfectly flush I’m terrible with measurements so I’ll just say it’s about the depth of an average pocket knife blade thickness View attachment 2665866View attachment 2665867View attachment 2665868
a second package came later with the usb cables, free backup camera, and the rest of the wiring harness. The factory camera will NOT work with this head unit

booting was fast but for some reason I had no audio. I can’t really remember how I figured this out but there was an app labeled “Car UI.” I clicked on it first and within the app is a radio, CD player, and something else, I forget. I clicked on the CD player and hit and then I all of a sudden started getting sound. I have no idea why this occurs but I have to do it every time I turn the car on. I can only assume that somehow this triggers the car amp? I have waited several minutes without pressing anything to see if it was just a time thing…but it wasn’t. I have also pressed lots of other buttons to see if that got me audio…but it didn’t. So for some reason you have to hit the Car UI button and go from there. This has been confirmed with another Reddit user who bought one at the same time I did. There is a factory setting for the amp which I turned on but it appears to have no play in this situation.
Car UI video

***i now believe this to be a canbus issue that I am working on resolving with the seller***

after figuring that out, I was quite happy with the radio. Everything functions wonderfully, including wireless carplay. One of my issues with the Tesla unit was laggy carplay. This Ekiy unit takes a bit to connect but so far it has been 100% reliable. Don’t judge the music choice, I was on a 90s kick

View attachment 2665869

I also removed my cigarette lighter and replaced with with a usb extension cable. The ports connected just fine to the USB ports included with the radio and appear to be functioning flawlessly.
Usb extension outlet

As mentioned in the nav to non nav swap thread, you will need two adapters to make your fm radio work.
Y adapter
Antenna adapter

climate control:
I’d say the climate controls function well enough that I would consider this a serious upgrade from the factory navigation despite the audio issue and what I’m about to tell/show you.

in order to get the climate control to work, you have to go into settings—factory—3368–car model—BNR—Toyota—prado—hi amp. Then a little snowflake will pop up on your screen. You can move it to wherever you want. That snowflake is how you access your temperature control and everything that you don’t control with the physical buttons. On that note, the physical buttons have a good tactile feeling and the words are backlit and properly spaced/level. That was another annoying thing about the Tesla, the buttons were all wonky and crooked.

the issue: the climate controls work great and have a clean UI. That being said, there is an issue with temperature adjustment. You have a full range of temperature selection but unfortunately it will only ever read “low” or “high.” Every time you press the button it most definitely changes the temperature a degree like it should, you just don’t get a specific degree reading. I don’t know why it does this or if it is 470/prado specific as I have seen similar radios with the same UI display degree changes (at least in Celsius). With all that said, I still feel like this is a major upgrade and a minor flaw that is easily overcome and barely annoying considering you’re adding carplay, Bluetooth, a large screen, and various other bonuses.
Temp control
Canbus settings

View attachment 2665890
As you can see in the above pic, there is a front mounted microphone. This is a standard 9in android head unit with a face plate over it so the mic is recessed behind the faceplate. As such it is essentially useless and you will need to add an aftermarket mic which is not included.

the aux port next to the seat heaters (at least on my 09) no longer functions either. As such, I replaced it with a USB port for power. this is a perfect fit and comes with the necessary connectors to attach it to the 12v outlet next to it.

USB port

also, I am having trouble with anything Google related…which is a lot since is an android device. Anytime I try to log in anywhere to any Google service (even the device settings, not just apps) I get the checking info loop crash. I have tried every fix I can find but unfortunately nothing has worked and I also don’t have access to everything because the OS/UI seems to hide some functions you need to access. So I have been unable to use the play store and instead have had to side load things. The factory installed UI is ok but Agama car launcher is WAY better.

Crash loop

one of the reviews on the product page mentions having to remove two circuit boards from the factory radio. Also not sure what that’s about or if it was lost in translation.

I am more than happy to take pictures or videos of any specific things you request. There were a lot of things I wanted to see before I bought this but I just jumped in and went for it since there weren’t any US reviews. Hopefully this provides a good alternative for nav owners.

I have definitely lost my train of thought at this point so I’m gonna post and edit from a computer later. In conclusion, this is a worthy upgrade despite the few issues I noted.

Ekiy Android Radio

I did not take pics of the installation as it was very straightforward. The wiring harness is simple and all the plugs are unique so they can only go to one place. You do have to remove the clock from your factory unit and attach it to the Ekiy. After that, it all just clips in. It is slightly recessed vs the trim pieces it’s not terrible but it’s not perfectly flush I’m terrible with measurements so I’ll just say it’s about the depth of an average pocket knife blade thickness View attachment 2665866View attachment 2665867View attachment 2665868

Car UI video

View attachment 2665869

Usb extension outlet

Y adapter
Antenna adapter

climate control:

Temp control
Canbus settings

View attachment 2665890

USB port

Crash loop

Hi…..new to the group. I have also the same unit with same issues . But after talking with the provider and some luck they are resolved. To address the clim controls you have to install the original screen(with all the plastic removed) inside behind the new unit (not an easy task ) using the original plugs. Then the climate controls will work the way they should,with the temp reading in numbers ,the mode and fan speed etc.
Now to address the sound issues…… you need to pug in the old radio section and while reading the original screen turn the amp on ( you can check on the original screen under audio ) you should now hear sound and then you can unplug the radio , rehook up the cables and it should be good

Hi…..new to the group. I have also the same unit with same issues . But after talking with the provider and some luck they are resolved. To address the clim controls you have to install the original screen(with all the plastic removed) inside behind the new unit (not an easy task ) using the original plugs. Then the climate controls will work the way they should,with the temp reading in numbers ,the mode and fan speed etc.
Now to address the sound issues…… you need to pug in the old radio section and while reading the original screen turn the amp on ( you can check on the original screen under audio ) you should now hear sound and then you can unplug the radio , rehook up the cables and it should be good
I would love to hear more about this. I tried what they suggested with the screens but couldn’t get it to work. I believe my factory screen said something about check connection or something. Do you have a detailed write up anywhere? There are several more users with this radio who would love some help!

I would love to hear more about this. I tried what they suggested with the screens but couldn’t get it to work. I believe my factory screen said something about check connection or something. Do you have a detailed write up anywhere? There are several more users with this radio who would love some help!
If you tried it with the original screen plugged in and it didn’t work then I don’t have a clue . That’s the only way I could get my temp controls to work

What all did you plug into the original screen? Did your screen display any info or was it just black?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom