Repainting faded plastics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After wanting a GX470 for easily 5 years, I picked one up about a month ago and it has been fun cleaning it up. Mechanically it is sound but the exterior is very weathered and the sun has be harsh. I didn't think it would bother me but it did.. After hitting the rig with polishing compound and high speed buffer it I was happy to see most all the metal body parts cleaned up pretty good. The plastics, fenders, door handles, mirrors etc are faded, peeling and sun checked badly, many areas down to the plastic. I decided this would be a fun DIY and wanted to share. I have never done any auto paint prior to this. I ordered the products from automotivetouchup.com. Paint is a great match. Here are the products, all from same site., They also have a calculator for buying the right amount of paint.
- paint spray in can
-adhesion promotor in can
-primer in can
-clear coat in can
-prep solvent in spray bottle
-sand paper wet paper variety pack
-tack cloth
Process:
-cleaned with solvent
-masked everything off. Used packaging paper
-wrapped 400 wet paper around a sponge cut in 1/3. made a great sanding block.
-sanded everything down smooth
-clean with prep solvent
-spray promotion adhesion x2
-spray primer x2
-sand with 1500 wet grit
-spray paint x3
-clear coat x6
-after and hour took off all masking tape and paper.

waiting about 5 min between coats and 30 between changing products. Process was the same for all plastic parts, fenders, handles etc. This companies spray nozzle are very nice, the product all went on. Nice thin coats. the rig looks very nice, this really cleaned up the look. The faded and peeling fenders and plastics made it look "getto" as my wife states. After cleaning up the plastics and some polishing the rig looks wonderful.

image000004.jpg

image000001.jpg

image000002.jpg

image000000.jpg

image000001.jpg

Well done on the paint. Looks good.

I‘ve tried a few things to renew the black on my steps with no improvement. Just made it slippery for my kids. Maybe just a little funny.

In for an answer.

Ive used Meguiars ultimate black plastic restore for years and years it works great but labor intensive to do it right, rub it in good and buff off the extra with a mircofiber cloth. Usually lasts about 6 months. It worked on the black piece on the back bumper on the GX, havent tried the side steps yet.

EDIT: I was into jeeping for years and it was common to cover everything in Rhino liner. I haven't got far enough into this thing, but if those black parts pop off they can rhino lined and popped back on.

Last edited:
Ash blue mica or silver color? I have a few areas on mine needing touch up.

303 aerospace protectant did fairly well on mine. Just a bit of gloss and slight slippery quality. Not perfect but good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom