Pros and Cons of Desmogging all original FJ40

I believe this goes back to about 1990. AZ had a twenty rolling emissions in areas that required emissions. It then changed to a fixed date, moving it back to 1967. My 68 had been exempt for a couple of years and was required emissions again. Basing the date off of that.
Yes in AZ my ‘76 and ‘78 are registered out of Phoenix area. Unfortunately I work in the oven but have a place in Prescott to escape this hell hole👍

fjc-man

SILVER Star
Emissions equipment in the seventies is what they came up with then. That’s what got them by at that time. Some people who dream of owning a FJ40 or a FJ60 have enough trouble wrapping their head around a 4 cycle engine, I say look at it in terms all humans can relate to…. Suck, squeeze, bang, blow! Now ancient emissions equipment and their functional relationship to each other for a beginner who wants to learn and be able to drive and enjoy the new to them, beast. Well if you live where it must pass to plate, the thing that can speed up that possibility is if all that stuff is present when they buy it. To the uninformed buyer, the impending nightmare. If everything is there, the hurdles are a lot lower. How much performance do you need to motor up a forest trail to that campsite anyway?

Downey

SILVER Star
In the late 1990's while we were doing Federal testing to get the TBI conversion smog exempted, we had to retain certain pieces of the original equipment smog components. Our test vehicles had to be mid 1980's FJ60's (worst case) in order to obtain the exemption we wanted for all 1987-older Landcruisers. Not only could we not find the necessary pieces of emission equipment that was still working on 14-15 year old rigs, but we actually had to epoxy one valve together in order to proceed with the testing. Fortunately in California, they lower the bar on emissions output each year the rig gets older, sooooo as your emissions equipment erodes you get to emit more emissions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom