Builds Previously known as the 'One Week Resto' now Pathetically keeping it alive... 500k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would definitely not purchase them again

They one I put in 14’ I even coated with rust bullet ... I think that stuff is crap as well lol

@cruiseroutfit
I picked up a set from Kurt that were the quality Japanese replacements for my 54’ trailer ... they are still like new

Kurt @cruiseroutfit what lights do you have in stock?

Not needing them for about 4-5 years however lol

My rig came with a pair of Made in Japan rear lights. I replaced their gaskets and lenses with OEM. I added two ground wires per lens, one per bolt, and a CCOT rock shield per combination lamp. I'm not concerned about the quality of the housing of the made in Japan, but it would be a good thing to zinc plate them again.

In the front, a made in Japan combination lamp needed me to replace the wires with real 18 gauge. No problem to get fresh wire in there, just a blob of solder that is filed smooth on the end of a Doorman brand wire and double heat shrink the vulnerable end. The PO welded the bolt to the pedestal so it didn't spin. A bit more of a challenge getting OEM lenses and gaskets to fit, but it worked. Again, I added a ground wire to both the passenger OEM, and the driver-side made in Japan. I ordered two new OEM lamps to have as spares because I don't trust plastic. Both the new and old OEM, and the old made in Japan needed teflon tape on the four lens screws because the plastic housing strips quite easily.

Last edited:
I believe @cbmontgo had success flipping the available side to work on the NLA side

Wow that’s especially concerning since a lot of the OEM 75-79 tail lights are NLA....

I would definitely not purchase them again

They one I put in 14’ I even coated with rust bullet ... I think that stuff is crap as well lol

@cruiseroutfit
I picked up a set from Kurt that were the quality Japanese replacements for my 54’ trailer ... they are still like new

Kurt @cruiseroutfit what lights do you have in stock?

Not needing them for about 4-5 years however lol

We still have a supply of OEM Japanese lights (now NOS) available (all years) We may have a limited supply of our Japanese aftermarket lights. We also sell a Taiwanese “trail quality” light but the quality is just that trail quality.

The manufacturer of the aftermarket Japanese units discontinued all of their 40 series rear tail lights about five years ago now. We bought hundreds of the remaining inventory but have slowly started running out of the different part numbers. We do still have a rather large supply of OEM lights, I had to buy many of them from overseas so unfortunately the prices are significantly higher than when we were able to buy them stateside.

The only difference between all of the lights is the actual plug and the addition of a fifth wire which is a dedicated ground on the late-model application. It’s quite easy to switch plugs and harnesses around to make them work on various models as needed.

B4ED900F-BAB8-4049-BBD3-372DD3B6E586.jpeg

I did the same thing to three of my cruisers... I learned after I did the V8/74 to attach them at the top of the wheelhouse to the rear roll bar bolts with angle iron versus drilling new holes in the sheet metal like I did the first time. That was back in the late eighties when I cut the rear fenders for white bushwacker flares with a jigsaw... Yep I'm that PO, except I will never sell her to someone else during my life time.

Went to visit the VT crew at Poor Wally’s Land Cruiser Emporium aka Tyke @Tetanus and Junior @fourlow&go

Remind me to bring a bag of sand and salt the next time I come over... it’s the only driveway I have to white knuckle and floor it lol

Came away with a parting gift ... 4 split rims !!! ... my gift to them was to take my daughter away from Tykes daughter before they devised a way to eliminate the male population from the farm :)

Thanks again Wally and Jr

Btw @1967fj40 your truck is looking great ... and sounds great as well !

C6711561-587C-43AF-9608-DB113E2EC9DD.jpeg

Good to see ya’ !!

Yes rim tech... we will have to get some sort of capital district get together :)

Son on the ride home kept going on about your ride ... id say he’d get one one day but he has his heart set on a Bugatti Chiron (good luck with that little buddy lol)

edit: forgot to mention.... thanks for the swag !!!

BBB30910-2D7A-410F-AF3E-5EE2DF5073FE.jpeg
493BD29B-AA41-4D7E-8EA0-3CB935351F17.jpeg
B19DBBF0-8F3D-4B7B-84C3-15725B491700.jpeg
8C1C983F-5B5A-41A9-86E5-0B023402CCA2.jpeg

Last edited:
Had roughly an hour of me time FINALLY lol

Well... it was time to get my sewing machine up and running for some family projects (cloth napkins and face masks :meh: )

Sooooo I had wanted a tool roll for my screwdrivers ... based it alil on the medium tool roll that I have a template for... since it’s been in garage and not cleaned in 1/2 yr it was struggling with the webbing X ... but ... dirt will hide that lol

Hope everyone’s doing well

Pics... we love pics :)

1D898177-9D91-46A7-A91C-A0FB4E9C7F67.jpeg
F8D065E2-EE93-44F3-B3C7-FE96C8A9784A.jpeg
A99F312F-6650-4643-9C4C-8B33585F7ECB.jpeg

Finishing up a late night of sewing... been making some masks and napkins ... was using pot holder kit bands as that's all I had for elastic but found a great supply right under my :censor:

Btw for those who are good at the sew... Joann Fabrics is giving away kits to make masks that you then return for them to distribute to heath-care places in need... most likely I’ll be picking up a case to work on Monday

Link:

Pics of mine so far

EDE2598E-27F1-4EFD-AD57-28E37EB2F646.jpeg

Here is my frugal collection of twenty reusable washable napkins and the few masks ... but... have found in the bed mattress cover a great supply of elastic... right under my a$$ the whole time :)

These were going to be rags because we got rid of the king size bed... not they are napkins ... and enough elastic to make 11 masks

Time to make more...

3EC4EF4B-2640-4F57-9B4E-902FEF6BE9F3.jpeg

Today ... helped by my little guy... successfully pulled the chassis off as well as the donor truck to swap chassis

Wheels are like new on the new chassis and just too much of a hassle to get them off ... so we are going to respray the tub and start rebuilding soon

It’s nice to be home for things like this... I’m glad he decided go crazy on it ... like me

View attachment 2255721
View attachment 2255722

Last edited:
Today ... helped by my little guy... successfully pulled the chassis off as well as the donor truck to swap chassis

Wheels are like new on the new chassis and just too much of a hassle to get them off ... so we are going to respray the tub and start rebuilding soon

It’s nice to be home for things like this... I’m glad he decided go crazy on it ... like me

View attachment 2255721
View attachment 2255722

For some reason the pictures are not working. Would love to see how this is going for you!

Can’t get the stupid pics to load... think 6 chromebooks running ... smart tv... 4 smartphones... and me trying to upload is a bit much for my router lol

My 11 yr old is about the same age as when my older boy when we redid their cruiser ... now it’s my little guys turn :)

Btw ... think we are going to reassemble and clean up a bit the donor ride ... so if anybody is local and wants cruiser for their kid ... it will be going up on Craigslist most likely for $50 (it’s up to my son if he wants to get rid of it yet)

Can post pics now!!

Kids aren’t sucking my wifi

Donor in back and his in foreground ... front wheel removes easily... the rear however attached to the independent gearboxes spins ... you’d need to disassemble the box (at least one side) to hold the axle ... pita... sooo we are swapping chassis .... much easier :)

DD8D45BA-BD7B-4ADC-B76D-9B4A89CD831F.jpeg
AA07F878-29D0-4605-B95E-D6538BEDD89E.jpeg

Health issues are slowing down progress on my sons cruiser... my cruiser ... but... things are looking up

My MRI came back negative... soooo no cancer!!

Still not up to par ... however... making headway on my sons cruiser

The paint job is not all that great ... old left over cans and cold garage = a bit runny... but... assembly time !

He will be on the road in no time

24D843B1-7031-430A-B90C-E810200DB256.jpeg
B6ADD7BC-3837-4B5C-9890-CB4FECE43EE8.jpeg
39127DC3-2417-4B6B-80CD-F7708BDFEF98.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom