Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How do you connect the tubes to the front and rear ports? I some where people just pressed their fingers over the port.

I found a method for measure the pushrod with calipers and a straight edge so will be re-doing that. I think the pushrod might actually be contacting a bit. Will check the wheel cylinders tomorrow as well.

Any tips on bleeding the LSPV? I feel like I heard somewhere to zip tie it up to help with bleeding.
I some masters come with a bleeder kit that includes plastic threaded fittings with nipples and plastic hose to return fluid to the reservoir. I made a set out of some old hard brake lines and fittings.
If the rod was too long, it can cause similar issues, where you lose piston travel distance.

Bleed all 4 wheels in order (LR, RR, LF, LR). only got big air bubbles coming through the left front. Left front didn’t have great flow, bleeder a screw was not clogged. Rears flowed the most per pump. There is zero improvement....what the f.

Out of time tonight .... I know I need to bleed more but it still pretty just goes straight to the floor and can’t hold the vehicle.

Rechecked the booster pushrod and no leaks from the calipers or drums.

will a power bleeder make a big difference?

at least I got a tire rotation in...FML

44DAFE88-03FD-4441-93BA-5E6666863486.jpeg

73DD1BA3-4539-4890-BE86-BC219017910E.jpeg

Last edited:
Bleed all 4 wheels in order (LR, RR, LF, LR). only got big air bubbles coming through the left front. Left front didn’t have great flow, bleeder a screw was not clogged. Rears flowed the most per pump. There is zero improvement....what the f.

Out of time tonight .... I know I need to bleed more but it still pretty just goes straight to the floor and can’t hold the vehicle.

Rechecked the booster pushrod and no leaks from the calipers or drums.

will a power bleeder make a big difference?

at least I got a tire rotation in...FML

View attachment 2206722

View attachment 2206725
Did you try spinning each wheel/hub while having someone press the pedal? How do your front pads look?
I ask because you may have frozen caliper(s) or individual pistons. Easiest way to check is to jack up a wheel, step hold the pedal down and see if you can still rotate it.
Do you get a firm pedal after pumping it a couple times?

My father @Landschooner came out to help me gather the remainder of things from my garage.

My son has already learned what cruisers want the most...

5ADB8330-3A3B-4D3F-A2F6-931D59666CB6.jpeg

1876036D-8A2C-4E02-8712-438E851A4FDA.jpeg

E951AA92-A2E7-4B12-9B42-C5FA1D05EA9F.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you try spinning each wheel/hub while having someone press the pedal? How do your front pads look?
I ask because you may have frozen caliper(s) or individual pistons. Easiest way to check is to jack up a wheel, step hold the pedal down and see if you can still rotate it.
Do you get a firm pedal after pumping it a couple times?

Pedal does get firm-ish after pumping a couple times but only with the engine off. The pads do need to be replaced soon. I’ll have to do the caliper test this weekend— braking was good not great before tearing things apart.

Gameplan right now is to continue bleeding including the LSPV. Check the calipers and probably replace the pads (If not this weekend, soon) and go from there. With the weather forecast and light it’ll have to wait until this weekend.
EE3B500F-E215-482A-9349-FC00B5008BF6.jpeg

Pads are cheap...
You can get fluid out of a caliper and still have seized pistons.
Are you confident your rear break shoes are properly adjusted and they are not also seized?
You need to do some thorough inspection of your rear brake assembly, and be prepared to replace the wheel cylinders back there as well.
Same with the front. Might also want to check your LSPV and be sure the fluid isnt just filling the rubber cover when the pedal is pushed and then going back when released.
I'd be inclined to block off the LSPV as I get further down the rabbit hole.

That young'n sure is a keeper!!!!!!
The other day after church sometime he told my wife
"Jesus drives a Land Cruiser..no, hims drives a Land Rover". Take it how you want but i'm glad my automotive obsession is taking off.

Mike how did you clean the carb parts?
Berryman's carb and parts dip and my Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner then a wire wheel on an air tool.

Well, I think I’ve exhausted my capabilities for now. Still have absolutely zero pedal with the car on.

•I’ve bled 1.5 liters including the LSPV total (another 0.5 this morning). There is almost no flow from the RF caliper. All others were clean bleeds with no visible bubbles.
•I was unable to get the RF pads out and I think that may be the culprit. It had more pad wear and seems to not be retracting. The pads didn’t look as bad as I recalled but it was dark. Would that cause no pedal though?
•both rotors are above 20mm (min is 19mm).
•I was unable to get the drum retaining screws off to pull the the drums. Ugh.

Probably going to pick up the Napa Total eclipse semi-loaded calipers later today.....or just tow it to @OTRAMM

:doh:

any other thoughts @Stumpalama

D9658FF2-E46F-401B-A5D0-FE3554F8EB05.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, I think I’ve exhausted my capabilities for now. Still have absolutely zero pedal with the car on.

•I’ve bled 1.5 liters including the LSPV total (another 0.5 this morning). There is almost no flow from the RF caliper. All others were clean bleeds with no visible bubbles.
•I was unable to get the RF pads out and I think that may be the culprit. It had more pad wear and seems to not be retracting. The pads didn’t look as bad as I recalled but it was dark. Would that cause no pedal though?
•both rotors are above 20mm (min is 19mm).
•I was unable to get the drum retaining screws off to pull the the drums. Ugh.

Probably going to pick up the Napa Total eclipse semi-loaded calipers later today.....or just tow it to @OTRAMM

:doh:

any other thoughts @Stumpalama

View attachment 2211641
Let me know what you decide to do maybe I cam swing by if you think an extra set of hands would be useful. Im also free to give a ride to the parts store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom