Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tried to swap head units with Tacoma Matt and found out that not only does my Tacoma have a 4 channel amp but the installer, instead of running new wires from the amp to the speakers, ran the amp speaker wires back to the dash, cut the factory harness and spliced in the amp to the factory wires going to the speakers. Long story short we just put it all back together and decided to see how much a car audio shop will charge to undo all this and swap the head units.

I have seen the quality of craftsmanship from "quality" audio shops and have repaired their disasters. Bring it over and let me take a look.

I'll text you this week! :bounce:

A stereo shop probably did that work. Why do you want to get rid of the alpine?

Don't like the "floating iPad" look. I'm also not a fan of AndroidAuto/AppleAuto for Nav. I want that s*** to work whether I have a signal or not. The Toyota Nav is really quite good.

@1MOA Call Trollhole, dont PM him, about your carb issue, even if YOU weren’t the buyer. Tell him I sent you...if you dare. Marshall is a very stand up guy and vendor. I seem to recall most problems with his carbs being fairly easy to solve.
anyone have his number? He seems to have scrubbed the number from his posts

Don't like the "floating iPad" look. I'm also not a fan of AndroidAuto/AppleAuto for Nav. I want that s*** to work whether I have a signal or not. The Toyota Nav is really quite good.

Ok. I’m not a big fan of the Toyota Intune head units. But will not get rid of mine until the Tesla radio becomes cheaper.
Not a big fan if the floating Tablet look either.

Left a message and then got a text message saying whoever has the phone will leave a message for him. I need to import that business model into my work.
@1MOA also check your idle solenoid for power. May have blown a fuse or have a corroded connection.

2x on calling Marshall
Have you checked the secondary to make sure it's fully closed and not metering fuel?

Left a message and then got a text message saying whoever has the phone will leave a message for him. I need to import that business model into my work.

You want to swap on an Aisin? I have a 77 Cali spec on the shelf that needs a rebuild but is otherwise complete. You'd probably want to rejet it though.

You want to swap on an Aisin? I have a 77 Cali spec on the shelf that needs a rebuild but is otherwise complete. You'd probably want to rejet it though.
Not sure. It baffles me. The secondary pulls nothing at all until you open the carb but the idle side is literally coughing fuel out the top of the carb and the bowl is going to overflowing in seconds after turning the starter over. When its good you can tap the gas 3 times hit the starter and it starts. after that you have to floor the pedal to get it to fire at all and by then its flooded and then some.

@1MOA Sounds like the float needle is sticking open.

I think that’s what mine was doing when I first started running it. It’s a known issue that the Trollhole carbs have crap in them when they come from China.

Last edited:
If helpful, my City Racer carb has been working great since I put it on (knock on wood) but it's for desmogged rigs.

I hope it is just something simple. I am not feeling all warm and fuzzy about making fall crawl with a unit at this rate.
I have a couple of your vintage carbs setting around waiting for a rebuild... I could be encouraged to rebuild one.. but I need to ensure I have a rebuild kit or 2 laying around.

I hope it is just something simple. I am not feeling all warm and fuzzy about making fall crawl with a unit at this rate.
Sounds like it's flooding.
It's easy enough to pull the top off of the carb and adjust the float level or clear the debris from the float needle seat.
Dig in!

I took the driveshaft off of Jack's 40 to check out a non-functioning parking brake, and gear oil just oozed from behind it. So we clearly need to replace the transfer case output shaft seal. Having never been in there, is there anything else that should be done besides the seal and the bits for the parking brake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom