Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like it's flooding.
It's easy enough to pull the top off of the carb and adjust the float level or clear the debris from the float needle seat.
Dig in!
I did saturday, Pulled the top cleaned everything and it ran great....for about 10 mins and then back to the great flood of 2019 again

I took the driveshaft off of Jack's 40 to check out a non-functioning parking brake, and gear oil just oozed from behind it. So we clearly need to replace the transfer case output shaft seal. Having never been in there, is there anything else that should be done besides the seal and the bits for the parking brake?
You change the from the outside right by removing that 30mm nut?

Last edited:
I took the driveshaft off of Jack's 40 to check out a non-functioning parking brake, and gear oil just oozed from behind it. So we clearly need to replace the transfer case output shaft seal. Having never been in there, is there anything else that should be done besides the seal and the bits for the parking brake?

If your'e coming down for tech day I've got a fixture to bore the output housing deeper so that you can use two seals. That way the new seal is riding on fresh seal surface on the drum.

I did saturday, Pulled the top cleaned everything and it ran great....for about 10 mins and then back to the great flood of 2019 again
I once rebuilt my old Holley. Then I pretty much filled a 5 gallon bucket with gas through the oil drain plug! I’d be happy to help you but I learned my limits.

The upside is that it was a good reason to switch to a Qjet. Oh, and the engine internals got REALLY clean, so there’s that.

If you had the top off, make sure you put the gasket back on correctly, or didn't get the float hung up somehow. You also might want to replace the fuel filter and run some fuel through the hose to the carb to make sure there aren't more bits of junk waiting their turn.

Tried cutting a heat shield and put it back... this happened on the first cut

20191008_114842.jpg

If your'e coming down for tech day I've got a fixture to bore the output housing deeper so that you can use two seals. That way the new seal is riding on fresh seal surface on the drum.

That sounds like an offer that is hard to pass up, but I'm going to be taking the family on a Girl Scouts camping trip. Maybe I can talk my brother into driving Jack and the 40 out. If so, they would need a hand here and there if someone could pitch in.

yeah i was thinking about

Looks like the Chineseium failed on the Godzilla steel from japan.
I even bought Craftsman instead of harbor freight so they could have a chance

That sounds like an offer that is hard to pass up, but I'm going to be taking the family on a Girl Scouts camping trip. Maybe I can talk my brother into driving Jack and the 40 out. If so, they would need a hand here and there if someone could pitch in.
I have a spare rear output that would save you driving the 40 out and having to R&R on site. I would only want your's in trade after the fact.

Last edited:
Bart, don't forget a slather of RTV on the splines by the base as you install the brake drum, as Cruiser John once told me. I suggested to Jack that Marlin had a double seal TCase housing he sells. Having Ryan mill/lathe out the housing for two seals is a better option. Especially, 'cause he'll be there to install it all.

Nothing tech, other than some new light fixtures and receptacles/switches at the house. Oh, and dog shopping. It's time for another Hund. Yes...the German was intentional. Anybody have a well behaved/mannered/trained adult GSD or Dobie they need to place? Experienced GSD (3x) owner here. Also considering a dog of some type in the 25-50lb range. Argh, why is this so hard?

Nothing tech, other than some new light fixtures and receptacles/switches at the house. Oh, and dog shopping. It's time for another Hund. Yes...the German was intentional. Anybody have a well behaved/mannered/trained adult GSD or Dobie they need to place? Experienced GSD (3x) owner here. Also considering a dog of some type in the 25-50lb range. Argh, why is this so hard?
If you are interested I have a friend in Culpeper VA that has several Malinois or Shepherd/Malinois hybrids that washed out of a "training program" That are excellent dogs.
I will forewarn that they are all Alpha dogs and have a very strong hunt fetch drive.

If you are interested I have a friend in Culpeper VA that has several Malinois or Shepherd/Malinois hybrids that washed out of a "training program" That are excellent dogs.
I will forewarn that they are all Alpha dogs and have a very strong hunt fetch drive.
I’ll PM you.

Putting a new radiator in the 3rd gen 4Runner after seeing a puddle and then this little trickle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom