Builds Poverty packin’: 1992 HZJ80 in Texas (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New side marker lights. 0.01 banana job.

B0BAE521-2C51-430B-85C1-5B41754F68F0.jpeg

D427C9A3-7FE6-49F6-8711-0EE554758F66.jpeg

B5168F61-13DB-4C28-8DB3-310843D6417D.jpeg

Backup lights stuck on:

I came out of work last night to find my back up lights on for lord knows how long. I pulled the housings off and took the reverse bulbs out. Looks like I’ll be ordering a new back up switch and/or interogating my wiring harness tonight.

A5A8319A-6C00-41D6-A49B-500E222F8B9D.jpeg

Also, I crawled under the truck in the parking lot to ensure the wiring didn’t get shorted somehow. Rowing through the gears several times did nothing. My guess is the switch contact is stuck.

Looks like your making good progress!
Nothing better than a bare bones 80 series.

It’s getting hot in here…

So I’ve been flirting with overheating. The water temperature gauge - the only gauge on my entire dash - has been flirting with the red when the outside temperature is over 95°, I’m driving more than 60 on the highway, and the air conditioning is on. Coolant could use a flush and some new Toyota red, and the fan clutch feels OK, but I’m starting with a new fan clutch that @davegonz supplied.

The fan was in decent condition and I did not replace it. The old fan clutch is a no name, but I went straight with an Aisin this time.

Time to go for a ride in the Austin heat and see if it makes a difference.

0E4050D7-3055-4DEF-96C6-D6333469AD95.jpeg

26EB7D6B-162B-49C7-815C-576882B36028.jpeg

1905672B-7943-44EC-87DF-0E96FEABAD83.jpeg

77F217C2-8426-49CE-B028-5A261C38B9E9.jpeg

CD7B5A85-1988-426E-A506-1F8ED118BC04.jpeg

Yep, that's a Euro spec deal. The truck came with them installed from the factory.

Kenny: What Dave said - they are Euro lights.

I have a new dilemma: the new fan clutch didn’t do very much to reduce temps at highways speeds.

I might try to caravan along with the solid axle summit guys who are driving from Central Texas up to Ouray, Colorado this Friday. I’m spending the next week in Estes Park with my family, but could hitch along for a little bit of Cruiser camaraderie.

There is one last old time radiator shop here in Austin. They can get a new upper tank, but it probably won’t get here until late Wednesday. That would leave 24 hours for them to pull it all apart, flush it, and put it back together so I could leave Friday morning. I’m a little unsure if I want to go that route.

I’m thinking I should just flush the coolant and replace, and see how it goes the next couple days and see if temps stay down.

I can always abort at the last minute.

Anyone out there in MUDland can box up a diesel 80 series radiator and get it to Texas by Thursday?

Themostat and radiator cap good? I would start with these which are simpler culprits.

Going to replace the thermostat when I flush it. I have one in hand.

The cap looks new- I think I have another one in hand as well.

Coolant really does look craptastic in overflow tank and the radiator. Given the fact that this thing was a United Nations truck, who knows where it lived, and what has been run through it in the past 27 years. Everything on it looks pretty original. It doesn’t look like it’s been messed with it all, soI’m guessing it’s the original radiator.

Agreed though- starting with the basics.

Coolant, t-stat, and cap.

Are you going to switch to green since you’re changing things out? I did quite awhile back. Haven’t looked back since. I think even CDan says it’s ok. 😂😂

I mean, I’m color blind so I can’t tell either way.

I’m free after 5pm all week if you need help with last minute work. I wouldn’t mess with expensive Toyota coolant while you trial and error things. I even saw Onur pour green in his 3B.

Cim, I’m gonna drain coolant tomorrow.

Maybe just flushing the radiator and putting in new coolant will be enough to get by.

I’m going to go buy some Zerex red coolant on Dave’s recommendation. I have a radiator, thermostat, hoses coming from the Middle East, but I bet they won’t get here until after Friday.

I’ll ping you tomorrow afternoon.

Cim, I’m gonna drain coolant tomorrow.

Maybe just flushing the radiator and putting in new coolant will be enough to get by.

I’m going to go buy some Zerex red coolant on Dave’s recommendation. I have a radiator, thermostat, hoses coming from the Middle East, but I bet they won’t get here until after Friday.

I’ll ping you tomorrow afternoon.
Partsouq? I placed my first order from them Friday. Going to be here on Wednesday.

Yes. Ordered tonight, Friday is probably cutting it a little too close.

I lived in
Going to replace the thermostat when I flush it. I have one in hand.

The cap looks new- I think I have another one in hand as well.

Coolant really does look craptastic in overflow tank and the radiator. Given the fact that this thing was a United Nations truck, who knows where it lived, and what has been run through it in the past 27 years. Everything on it looks pretty original. It doesn’t look like it’s been messed with it all, soI’m guessing it’s the original radiator.

Agreed though- starting with the basics.

Coolant, t-stat, and cap.

I lived in Kenya for 20 years. I have seen a few things on cruisers in this environment. Like Muddy river water for coolant. You never know. Your instincts are right on. Flushing makes sense. On the red vs green, I use green on all my rigs. No issues. Red works well but is more $$. All I know is I use one or the other. Never mix them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom