Builds Poverty packin’: 1992 HZJ80 in Texas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bottombracket

SILVER Star
Threads
How the heck did I end up in the 80 section of MUD?

For the past five years I’ve been a pretty stalwart 60 series fan. I have 3 60 series trucks and I thought that they fit me just right. I have an FJ40 that I love, and I’ve dabbled with the idea of getting into a 70 series now and again, but honestly, I hadn’t been interested in anything built past 1990...ever.

About every three months I just browse the 80 series classifieds, just seeing roughly what things go for. A couple of weeks ago I was just minding my own business, and I saw @joekatana ‘s ad for a left-hand drive, five speed poverty pack HZJ80.

Wait a minute.

Uh oh.

This ticked some serious boxes. Factory left-hand drive. 1HZ with 211,000 km. Air-conditioning. Part time t case. E-lockers with full float rear axle, just added by Joe. Manual windows. No flares. Barn doors. No rust...and also not fancy.

I called Joe on the spot and we talked for over half an hour. I had a short but difficult conversation with my wife and sent him a deposit. About a week later, Joe showed up with the 80 on a trailer and I have got to tell you that I really like this vehicle.

It is not fancy. It is...rough in a few places.

Buyer satisfaction is all about expectation management. I was definitely not looking for a factory showpiece, or a concours restoration. I wanted a tough, comfortable truck that I could throw my kids, dogs, and mountain bikes in and spray out with a hose when I was done. Done.

I have got a lot to learn, so I’ll be reading a lot and asking a bunch of questions as I build this beast up.

Galen

88DCF7DC-13A0-46B6-A583-592E01419144.jpeg

You can borrow it all week if you want. I think we will be here all week for SXSW. Can you make it to Roundup?

glad you joined the 80 crowd. That 80 does tick off a lot of the right boxes. I showed the for sale thread to my wife but she wouldn't let me (we have two 80's already). Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Already bilt👏

That is great! What is the country/market of origin?

@rghouse close. Needs a rear bumper with spare tire provisions. Need to wire in a winch. Power steering pump leaks and needs a rebuild. A/C needs a new compressor, drier, expansion valve and 134a conversion.

LED headlights and an interior spruce up will be coming along too.

@Heckraiser I think it is Belgian, possibly Dutch. It is a former U.N. truck. It definitely didn’t live outside in northern Europe as it is pretty clean from a rust standpoint.

E5D81905-4BD9-4B09-9E42-35E5413D5520.jpeg

Love this truck. Post a photo of those UN etched front turn signals.

Might have gotten an upgrade along the way.

Wheel and lift specs much appreciated too.

Now I’m rethinking my door handles didn’t know they came stock in contrasting color, that is the second one now I’ve seen with those very sharp.

Way cool, I’m jealous.

Maintenance and small parts:

I’m starting small. Switched over shift knobs and found the correct knob for the part time case.

New pedal pads for brake and clutch. New gas pedal pad coming next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom